· Registered
277 Posts
PRO
100 year old Military proven design
Single Action / Recoil Operated
Can be carried Cock & Locked
Grip & Manual Safety
Firing Pin Block Safety
Major Power Calibers ( .45 ACP / 9mm / .38 Super / .50 GI ...and others )
Many aftermarket parts / accessories

CON
Heavy
Magazine capacity is limited
You forgot to add the part it takes about $1000 or better to be as reliable as a Glock........

· Registered
12 Posts
I have 8 1911s. From a custom built sub compact a little smaller than an officer's model to a compensated "pin gun" built from a Colt Gold Cup. Commander, Combat Commander, Full size, custom, Gold Cup National Match, etc. Only the GCNM is factory stock. Love them all. Completely reliable and very accurate.

BUT--- I also have 7 Glocks. Olympic 17s, 19, 23s, .357 barrel for the 23s. Love them all. Not as accurate as the 1911s, but they are stock and 100% reliable. I carry the Glock. They are lighter, carry more ammo, inexpensive, you can't damage them, work as well filthy as clean, totally reliable.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
wma3193 said:
I have 8 1911s. From a custom built sub compact a little smaller than an officer's model to a compensated "pin gun" built from a Colt Gold Cup. Commander, Combat Commander, Full size, custom, Gold Cup National Match, etc. Only the GCNM is factory stock. Love them all. Completely reliable and very accurate.

BUT--- I also have 7 Glocks. Olympic 17s, 19, 23s, .357 barrel for the 23s. Love them all. Not as accurate as the 1911s, but they are stock and 100% reliable. I carry the Glock. They are lighter, carry more ammo, inexpensive, you can't damage them, work as well filthy as clean, totally reliable.
Yeah I will still carry my Glock as a everyday weapon. Its easy to conceal and light weight. Will pick up a 1911 cause its a 1911! Lol. I've been looking and not concerned about the prices as much as a reliability. I bought a glock because they are all of the above. I want a 1911 that's the same. Yeah I'm not putting 4 grand in a pistol that will serve the same purpose as a $600 one. Just ignorant about 1911's cause I've never owned one. Love the information so far so keep it coming! It all helps!

· Registered
149 Posts
well my 2 cents i shot and carried the USN 1911 for 4 years . while serving on USS Truxtun off coast of vietnam . they were heavy and old not very acurate
I'm CNA II and taking care of a close friend for 4 years he was an avid collector of colt had won 5 national match gold cups at camp perry. He did spook work when with the NACA durring the cold war. But when Glock first came out he was asked to shoot the first 17's and he had to say he shot better with the glock. still loved his colts thow. when he passed away on april fools day 2005 it took me 3 days to inventory his 187 handguns and 200 long guns.
that being said i have G21 and G19 love them both just got a sig 1911-22 ONLY because glock dont make a 22lr i like to shoot with granddaughter age 11. believe it or not she crys when she dont get to go to the range when she wants

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
glockpackingfuzz said:
If he was refering to Kimber then the answer would be yes. Dont get me wrong, I like Kimbers, but with all the problems that they are prone to, I would not be trusting my life to one. I cannot speak as to the other makes, since I have limited knowledge. I sure like the sigs though.
I've been looking at the Sig 1911's and they are priced very reasonable($987) The local gun shop is a Sig Dealer so they have everything Sig has to offer. They are nice just haven't shot one though. Going to put that on my to-do list in the near future.

· Registered
254 Posts
I think I'm the only shooter who does NOT care for 1911's. They are gorgeous weapons, and I'm sure have saved countess lives, but they seem to be so tempermental. My reason for this thinking is because I used to shoot IDPA quite a bit. While participating in that league, I watch 1911 after 1911 jam, jam, and jam again. It is part of the reason I've stuff with Glock over the years. After shooting IDPA for about 2 years with Glock, and Springfield XD I only experienced 2-3 jams with the XD, and flawless operation out of my Glocks. OK, now start with the attacks:)

· Banned
1,210 Posts
I have 3 Glocks a kimber custom II and a cold delta elite I carry a Glock because I "as in me" others opinion might be different but I have never had a 1911 that I would trust to go bang every time
Amen!! I have owned 6 different Glocks and have never had a single malfunction with any of them. However, I have shot a dozen 1911's (I own a Colt 1911) and have had a malfunction of some type with every single one.

Glock is the only gun I fully trust my life and the life of my family with.

· Banned
654 Posts
I think I'm the only shooter who does NOT care for 1911's. They are gorgeous weapons, and I'm sure have saved countess lives, but they seem to be so tempermental. My reason for this thinking is because I used to shoot IDPA quite a bit. While participating in that league, I watch 1911 after 1911 jam, jam, and jam again. It is part of the reason I've stuff with Glock over the years. After shooting IDPA for about 2 years with Glock, and Springfield XD I only experienced 2-3 jams with the XD, and flawless operation out of my Glocks. OK, now start with the attacks:)
I really believe the problems with the 1911 start with the owner. I have several and not 1 malfuntion, I shoot my Baer, colt series 70 and my taurus PT1911. I field strip and grease the rails and a drop of oil on anything that moves or has metal to metal contact. I know they are finnicky and I am finnicky caring for them. I also have 4 glocks and do the same and not 1 malfuntion.

· Registered
254 Posts
Reliability seems to be the biggest difference. They can't be a bad weapon, because people have been carrying them to save lives for years. I think that Tape is correct about them just being finnicky.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.