Glock Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I see no point in it but that's just me..
Basically, it just gives me tactile feedback when holstering. Probably just due to being an old fart, and having decades-long practice of keeping my thumb on the hammer of non-striker-fired guns when reholstering. Just a way of monitoring (not controlling, just monitoring) the state of the firing mechanism when reholstering.

I totally get that we should look the gun into the holster, and I do. This is just an additional feedback for me; a way to absolutely know whether something is impacting or influencing the firing mechanism. I also totally get that in a perfect world, it would serve no purpose, but in a perfect world I probably wouldn't feel the need to carry a gun in the first place.

To each his own and ymmv; just was trying to address the OP's inquiry from my personal experiences.

· Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Basically, it just gives me tactile feedback when holstering. Probably just due to being an old fart, and having decades-long practice of keeping my thumb on the hammer of non-striker-fired guns when reholstering. Just a way of monitoring (not controlling, just monitoring) the state of the firing mechanism when reholstering.

I totally get that we should look the gun into the holster, and I do. This is just an additional feedback for me; a way to absolutely know whether something is impacting or influencing the firing mechanism. I also totally get that in a perfect world, it would serve no purpose, but in a perfect world I probably wouldn't feel the need to carry a gun in the first place.

To each his own and ymmv; just was trying to address the OP's inquiry from my personal experiences.
well said,your reasoning why you chose to use it makes sense to me.if by practice and repetition you holster your scd gun properly,and assuming the device will not malfunction,you pretty much eliminate the risk of accidental discharge while holstering that gun.yes,it might not be for me,but personally,I have no criticism for the device.from what I understand,the device does not affect the function of the gun in any way.

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,479 Posts
I have a deputy friend that had his thumb break on his holster trip the trigger during reholstering.
My law enforcement training instituted that we keep eyes up on threat during reholstering.
I can see this product being beneficial.
I just don’t want to add on my pistol.

· Registered
539 Posts
Clever idea, but I think I'll just focus on not having my finger in the trigger gaurd while re-holstering. At my age I don't think it's wise to attempt to add another training step to my muscle memory. I suppose if you are a person that grew up with hammer-fired pistols it would come naturally.

· Registered
276 Posts
I see no point in it but that's just me..
Well, for ME, it doesn't make any sense. I use Raven Vanguard..where it is not possible to 'reholster' the gun..You have to unclip the Vanguard from your belt, re-insert the gun trigger guard into it, then back onto your belt..

I just don't see the utility of 'quick to reholster; holsters. Why is this even a consideration, to be able to quickly put your IWB gun away?
My law enforcement training instituted that we keep eyes up on threat during reholstering.
As a non LEO, don't see how this would apply..the threat is gone, disabled or I am gone, retreated..no need to 'reholster while keeping eyes on any threat', IMHO.

· Registered
22 Posts
I was thinking about buying a striker control device for my G19 gen 4. How do you guys feel about them? I never carry with one in the chamber but with this device nicknamed the gadget, I might feel better and more confident about carrying with one in the chamber now. Here is the YouTube link to check it out if you’ve never heard of it.

· Registered
22 Posts
I would save the money on it and but some training or practice so you can carry with one in the chamber instead.
I’m confident with my Springfield XD because of the grip safety and my M&P Shield because of the manual safety. I just feel like nothing will keep this gun from going off if an accident happens because it’s so damn reliable .

· Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Clever idea, but I think I'll just focus on not having my finger in the trigger gaurd while re-holstering. At my age I don't think it's wise to attempt to add another training step to my muscle memory. I suppose if you are a person that grew up with hammer-fired pistols it would come naturally.
+1; agree completely. Part of the reason I like a 1911-style safety is that it's literally a muscle-memory thing for me after nearly 40 years of using 1911's. For someone who cut their teeth on glock, XD, or similar, it could definitely cause training issues or performance issues. For me, it's automatic that as part of grasping the gun at the draw, my thumb slides down the frame & slide to deactivate the manual safety as it goes into position. Don't have to think about it, just happens. I wouldn't want to try to change at this stage and completely understand why others wouldn't either.

· Registered
22 Posts
Do you carry your XD or your M&P with one in the chamber
The shield, I carry with one in the chamber external safety on. XD is carried with one in the chamber as well because I know it won’t go bang unless I hold it correctly. I’ve pulled the XD out trying to draw and fire in the beginning of my training and didn’t have a good grip on it to make the gun go bang. So I just know I have to have this gun correctly positioned in my hand to shoot it. This is also one of the reasons why I considered Glock after I bought it because if my life was in danger I would’ve been SOL.

That was a few years ago. My money was funny so I couldn’t afford a Glock but the shield was cheap and received great reviews so I bought it Lol. I can’t lie I was very afraid of Glocks until I shot a 17 a few times last year.

· Registered
4 Posts
I installed one in my G19 when it was my carry gun and switched it to the G26 Gen4 I carry now.

Thousands of rounds later, it still works as intended. Just ride your thumb on it while holstering, like a pistol or revolver with a hammer, and even if you get something in stuck in the holster or trigger guard, it prevents an accidental discharge.

· Super Moderator
58,813 Posts
I installed one in my G19 when it was my carry gun and switched it to the G26 Gen4 I carry now.

Thousands of rounds later, it still works as intended. Just ride your thumb on it while holstering, like a pistol or revolver with a hammer, and even if you get something in stuck in the holster or trigger guard, it prevents an accidental discharge.
Has that actually occurred?

· Registered
185 Posts
I respect everyone's opinions on this thing, but personally, I don't like it. I don't like modifying carry or duty pistols.

I had 20+ years of training with Glocks. Daytime, night time, holstering, reholstering, along with ARs and shotguns, prone, supine, shooting on the move, etc. No one ever had an AD from holstering or reholstering while training with me. The guys had leather Tex Shoemaker holsters, Safariland holsters, and Bianchi holster... nada... not once.

Could it happen?... of course... but I could also get hit by lightning, or caught in a tornado (here in North Texas).

Personally, if I was worried about having an AD while holstering I would carry a DA/SA pistol.

· Premium Member
2,127 Posts
?..If you're uncomfortable with a round in the chamber of a Glock, get something with a manual safety or as suggested above a DA/SA pistol......
If somebody mentioned chamber-empty carry, I missed it.

Fwiw, the glock (which is what I carry) is a DA gun. They market it as “safe action”, but the trigger cocks and then releases the firing mechanism; the very definition of double-action. It’s just that (like a lot of guns), it’s a DA without an external hammer.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts