Glock Serial Number Project and Owners Map

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by stak, Jul 6, 2012.

1. stak

stak New Member

I have created a website that is a spin-off of a thread from a site which will not be named ;), but I think it's globally useful and interesting to all owners. There are two pages on there right now.

• The Serial Number Project which is tracking GLOCK pistols by their serial number with model, generation, born on date and notes. It's useful if you don't have the test fire envelope to know about when your gun was made and what generation it might be.

• The Owners Map is a publicly editable map for any GLOCK owners. You can be as accurate or vague as you wish to where you place your marker and any info you provide. I'm not a huge privacy nut, but I didn't mark my house, but the closest major city.

A future addition I'm working on for the GSNRP is being able to add pictures and breaking out the ability to mark how many of what capacity magazines and sights your gun came with from the factory. Also, obviously, GLOCK, US has all of this information and I would like to be able to get some type of information exchange where if an owner approves I could just pull the factory data straight from them. That's probably a ridiculous long shot, and it would be nice if GLOCK just offered it themselves, but we'll see.

If anybody has problems or ideas on how to make these better feel free to comment or send me a PM.

-Mike

2. jsimion423

jsimion423 New Member

Couldn't find mine. SSU***

3. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

The automatic "X"ing didn't work

4. glockguy

glockguy New Member

5. stak

stak New Member

Did you read the instructions? It is owner supplied information. If you don't find that someone else has entered your prefix, you can enter it yourself.

From a new user functionality perspective, is that not clear? Do you think there needs to be something more to indicate that the first row with the Add button allows you to enter your own information? It's a pretty common type of interface and intuitive, at least to me, so I am interested in your opinion on it.

6. stak

stak New Member

umm, I don't follow you. There shouldn't be any "X"'s, as in to close anything, and there shouldn't be anything automatic. Any of the overlays are a click to open, click to close. Could you explain that a little more?

7. Two-Guns

Two-Guns New Member

I like your website. Thanks for posting

8. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

I fully miss understood:

Rule 3. When entering the serial number just enter as much as you want and it will automatically be padded with asterisks. Don't pad whatever part you don't want to enter with X's, pound/hash marks or antying else. Do not put a space anywhere in the serial number. It will mess up the sorting.
    Good = SNR000 or SNR0 or SNR, Bad = SNR 000, SNRXXX, SNR###
    I thought it was going to automatically X out the serial number.

9. stak

stak New Member

Thank you!

10. stak

stak New Member

I am sorry about that. If you entered a full number that you want only the letters PM me which one it is and I will remove them.

I think I am going to separate that out to two rules and provide another example.

What do you think?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  11. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Much better wording I say, thanks for the attention.