Glock Registration Card question

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by scott_gen, May 25, 2012.

1. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

Hey are the registration cards postage paid and wide open for anyone to see your gun serial number??? I'm obviously going to put mine in an envelope but found it weird they'd do it like that.

2. Your serial number isn't safe guarded like your social, the firearms you register are public record in many states.

3. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

So serial number stealing isn't an issue? I'm still pretty new at gun ownership. My Smith and Springfield I registered online.

4. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

i don't register anything… (here in AZ thats the way it is)

5. Well it's not an issue for anyone but you. What I mean is you will be the only one who cares, since it isn't protected information. The fact is if someone gets your serial and has it engraved on a gun and uses it the ballistics aren't going to match up to the serial.

same here in MO. My guns are all registered to MI because there is nothing to transfer them too here lol

6. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

That would be my exact concern, hence the question - why would they set the registration cards up as an "open" mailer?

I'm just going to put mine in an envelope. Problem solved. Thanks for the input.

7. it's an open mailer because it isn't protected information, so they have no reason to care. Would be nice if they did but like i said it is only an issue to the person.

8. mikecu

mikecu New Member

Maybe if you gave a scenario of how you think someone could use a serial number in a negative way, we could address it better.

9. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

Nukinfutz says it a few posts up above.

10. He said use it in a negative way. I didn't list a negative way, in fact i put to rest the biggest idea of a negative. I said if someone were to engrave your serial number on a pistol and use it the ballistics would not match. Convictions are done on ballistics not serial numbers, so their using it would be pointless.

11. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Not that I think it's probable but negative ways info could be used;
    Someone reports serial number as stolen
    Someone targets your house for theft knowing a Glock may be there.
    Again doubtful just off the top of my head.

12. I know criminals are stupid, but come on lol

13. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Granted but some criminals are smart enough to surveil their victims.