Glock Part: What Does This Do

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by ROYALE-W-CHEESE, Mar 10, 2012.

1. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

It's funny how many times I've looked here (to check empty chamber) but have only noticed last night after cleaning how this part sticks out into the chamber. What is it and what is its function? The piece is also clearly visible from the right side view (looking at the handgun with the muzzle pointing to one's right). In the top-view pic below, the muzzle is pointed to the left.

This is a Glock 21SF Gen3. I can't find a good Glock exploded diagram that explains this part.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. GlockYou

GlockYou New Member

I may be wrong but I think it ejects the casing?

3. RogerH

RogerH New Member

do a strip down if the slide remove the extactor and i'll bet you answer you question
    just a thought

4. rimshaker

rimshaker New Member

Thats the chamber indicator; part of the extractor i believe. It sticks out a bit on the right side when theres a bullet in the chamber. The arrow you pointed to is where it grasps the base of the bullet.

5. twag4

twag4 New Member

That is the extractor. The loaded chamber indicator is the little square raised area on that part that is visible down its right side. When there is a round in the chamber, the little square sticks out of the side of the slide. When there is no round, the little square lies flush with the right side of the slide. The extractor claw is what your arrow appears to be pointed at. The new round is pulled forward out of the magazine and slides up the breech face where that claw is in the rim of the round that is headed into the chamber. After firing the round, the slide is headed rearward where that claw pulls the empty casing backwards with the slide. The casing hits the ejector (you can see it in the bottom right of the opening across from the arrow) and is flung out of the gun. Again, the ejector is the part that is angle upwards in your picture extending from the right bottom of the slide opening (ejection port) and to the left and angled up. It appears to be a little pointed metal object extending up and forward, slightly angled to the right on your 9mm frame, and is visible when the gun is disassembled.

6. twag4

twag4 New Member

7. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

Thanks all. From your descriptions, the part is the chamber indicator. (I guess I've never used it before. If I'm chambered, I'm sighting and ready to fire. Else, I do a press check. Good to know.)

The ejector "spike" I already knew what that did... from reading all the fine posts here at GlockForum! :)

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check out that SniperCentral site when I get home. I'm mobilized at the moment.

8. BORIS

BORIS New Member

No, like twag4 said, it is the extractor. Gaston decided somewhere along in time to put a square bump on the outside edge of it to give a visual or if dark you can feel it, LCI. Either way its the extractor with a "built in" LCI. Guns like XDs have a seperate LCI, not a Glock....

9. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

What's a press check?

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@Web:
    Press check is when you slightly rack the slide back, enough to visually determine if there is a round in the chamber.

11. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

12. Seawolf

Seawolf New Member

It's Tier 1 and classified.

LOL J/k
    Press check is something you do to verify a live round has been loaded into the chamber by slightly pulling back the slide enough to see brass then placing the slide back into battery with a thump on the back of the slide just for good measure. Video to show an example
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUnLceBAw-U[/ame]

13. bophi

bophi New Member

it is extra items glock stuck in there to see if any one would notice , congulations. just throw it away.
    it is a extractor it removes the spent shell. keep looking and you find a lot of extra parts all over. study your firearm, googl,e if you have to to learn about your gun. and don't call a thing a gig that holds the bullets a CLIP. it is a MAGAZINE. good luck with your new gun.

14. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Why won't there be a round in the chamber, if you loaded the weapon correctly and did your PM's?:p

15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I personally do not do this, but it is a carry-over habit from older gun designs that had no other way of determining if the chamber was loaded, as in a 1911 or a Beretta 92/96. It's just a double-check, and you even see it in the movies (ah, yes, Hollywood!) from time to time.

16. GlockYou

GlockYou New Member

I'll pull the slide back to double check, but I'm afraid of banging the back of my gun with a bullet in the chamber (even with a glock). Surely that wouldn't happen, but if I see brass I know I'm ready to go.

17. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yah, the LCI negates the need to do a press-check, and unlike a press-check, it can be done without taking your eyes off target (run a finger over it) or in total darkness. Think of the LCI as the gun's way of telling you she's good to go.

A very valuable feature of any defensive firearm. I do not like press-checks, by personal preference.

18. ParteePants

ParteePants New Member

I work in a prison and we were trained on the G23. They taught us to tap the back of the slide after a press check bc occasionally it can cause a misfire if you don't. I'm not saying that makes it fact but that's how they trained us. My own personal opinion is it would take a heck of a lot of force to cause the gun to fire the round. I wouldn't worry that the gun would fire just from a little tap.

19. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

I have to say that even after owning a 1911 for carry many years and now Glocks, I have never seen a reason for doing "Press Checks."

All my administration checks are done when cleaning. Ensuring everything works as designed. With that done I expect my gun to go bang when I have followed the correct loading procedure.

After doing a press check there is a chance your round may not fully seat back in the chamber. Tapping the rear of the slide would force it to re-seat I suppose and I'm not a fan of tapping either as it could create other problems too.

When (in the Navy) we loaded our 5" 38's and chambered a round, there was no need to press check the chamber either!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012