Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the best option? I know MOS offers more flexibility but what is the Pro's and cons?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I personally feel that if you're already going to spend the money on on a red dot for your pistol you should spend the extra for a better slide too. I personally don't see the need for the flexibility of the MOS, not many people have a viper, Venom and a rmr that they want to constantly change on their gun. So I say if you're already spend x$ spend some more and get a better slide with it. Windows for faster cycling, front serations, and the thing everyone that everyone treats as a leopard..... looks better.

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
Dots may look cool, but they take serious discipline to draw to quickly. They are really for competition

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally feel that if you're already going to spend the money on on a red dot for your pistol you should spend the extra for a better slide too. I personally don't see the need for the flexibility of the MOS, not many people have a viper, Venom and a rmr that they want to constantly change on their gun. So I say if you're already spend x$ spend some more and get a better slide with it. Windows for faster cycling, front serations, and the thing everyone that everyone treats as a leopard..... looks better.
For the same price as a new slide from Zevtechnologies I could buy a full Glock 17 MOS pistol though so if there isn't a significant difference then the MOS sounds like the way to go.

My plan would be to keep a Glock 17 stock so I can still use it for GSSF so I would be buying a separate slide.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dots may look cool, but they take serious discipline to draw to quickly. They are really for competition
I am currently doing IDPA and am looking into USPSA and would love to do the optic division which is the main reason for wanting a red dot.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
If you want only one brand of red dot and never expect to change or upgrade, then milling makes perfect sense; in fact, it may be preferred.

But if you may upgrade to a different model or brand sometime in the future, the ability to change base plates is very compelling.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Question ... are the slides on the MOS Glocks any thicker than standard?

Reactions: dr_boone

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
True, but do really WANT iron sights with your red dot on a pistol?

Don't assume the answer is obvious.

There are many who will say that co-witness is a time sucker when targeting. There is a tendency to shift back and forth between iron and dot multiple times before deciding to pull the trigger. Without iron co-witness sights, there is no such tendency. You place the dot over target and pull trigger.

Of course, there is the "what if your battery is dead dude?" question everyone asks. Well, if you are using the gun for self defense, you don't really have a problem. No power to red dot? Just target through view window. At any legally defensible distance, you can hit your target just fine without actually using the dot. In competition, your kinda' screwed but, heck change the battery or red dot. No harm, no foul.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I think the big "pro" of having irons is that you can find the red dot faster without having to tilt the gun around til it shows up

Reactions: M3hunter

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
If you practice a slightly different draw technique, you can place the dot at near center of view as your arms arrive at center of view. Consistent practice makes this mtoion second nature.

See this short video for illustration:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ULnzq0DIww[/ame]

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been shooting with an RMR for a year now. I have two, one with no rear sight and one with a trijicon night sight. Both are obviously raised. I HAVE NEVER found the night sight distracting or take any attention from my RMR and that is with a 3.25 MOA dot. You just have to practice picking up that dot, after an hour of practice it'll be impossible to miss that dot, even a small 3.25. Also I totally forgot that MOS will restrict sight options... very good point.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This just arrived from across the pond today! Shield Sights is a U.K. Company. They designed this mini red dot sight for M.O.S Glocks. It sits low and co-witnesses with the factory Glock sights! I was surprised that this piece is machined out of aluminum and is not plastic. 8 MOA dot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This just arrived from across the pond today! Shield Sights is a U.K. Company. They designed this mini red dot sight for M.O.S Glocks. It sits low and co-witnesses with the factory Glock sights! I was surprised that this piece is machined out of aluminum and is not plastic. 8 MOA dot.

How it the sight working out for you do like it?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have fired 131 rounds with it and no problems at all. The 8 MOA dot is super easy to pick up and not too big to mask the target. Today, I used these stickers for practice and they are about the size of my thumb. Distance was 12 to 15 yards.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have fired 131 rounds with it and no problems at all. The 8 MOA dot is super easy to pick up and not too big to mask the target. Today, I used these stickers for practice and they are about the size of my thumb. Distance was 12 to 15 yards.

Very nice, I noticed on their web-site that there is no adjustments for brightness just works off of ambient light correct?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Very nice, I noticed on their web-site that there is no adjustments for brightness just works off of ambient light correct?
Yes, it is automatic and works amazingly well. I tested it out by standing in a dark room and aimed through a door into bright sunlight. The dot instantly adjusted and was clearly visible. Then, like a ninja, I swung around into the dark room and once again it instantly adjusted. It works as advertised.

One thing that I absolutely love about this RMS is that the lens is completely clear. I cannot stand tinted optics.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, it is automatic and works amazingly well. I tested it out by standing in a dark room and aimed through a door into bright sunlight. The dot instantly adjusted and was clearly visible. Then, like a ninja, I swung around into the dark room and once again it instantly adjusted. It works as advertised.

One thing that I absolutely love about this RMS is that the lens is completely clear. I cannot stand tinted optics.
I wish I knew about this rot dot before I bought mine, good luck with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts