Glock Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added some 3 round extensions to my Glock 41. With 2 of my 4 magazines, I’m having an issue of them just dropping out of the gun while firing. Is this an issue with the added weight of just 3 rounds? I replaced the magazine release assy with the same results.... Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
First thing I’d check would be whether the new baseplates were keeping them from seating securely. IE, is the lip thicker and hitting the frame before solidly engaging the magazine catch.

The added weight shouldn’t have that effect at all if the mag catch is solidly engaged.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I recently added some 3 round extensions to my Glock 41. With 2 of my 4 magazines, I’m having an issue of them just dropping out of the gun while firing. Is this an issue with the added weight of just 3 rounds?
As John in AR indicated above in post #2, no... the additional weight is not an issue.

I replaced the magazine release assy with the same results.... Any ideas?
Is the last round 'really tight'?

For the pistol and magazine to function properly, there must be a little bit of 'play' in the spring such that the stack can be pushed down about 1/8" (shown below).

Fully loaded magazine 1a.jpg

Otherwise, the 'jammed' magazine forces the slide 'up', putting undue pressure on the slide rails (which can cause malfunctions), and the slide forces the magazine 'down', putting undue pressure on the magazine catch (which can damage the catch and cause unintentional magazine releases).

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Didn't think about top-round tension. That's probably a more likely culprit than basepad issues. Might try using the mags for a while loaded one round below max capacity, to reduce spring tension until the springs relax some.

Reactions: rbbeers

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Posts #.2 & 3 are your most likely culprits and personally #.3 is my bet at least from my poor experience wit plus 2 or 3 extensions.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Whose magazine extensions? Additional rounds make no difference. The magwell is hitting the mag extension. Some extensions are generational. Taylor Freelances are, which is what I use.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Whose magazine extensions? Additional rounds make no difference. The magwell is hitting the frame.
Yes if the extension is preventing it from fully seating it the mag.catch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check the mag release on the inside of the grip. I bought a new G26 as a backup gun. When I went to qualify with it, every so often a mag would drop out. Thinking it was me, I would slap it back in and it would drop again after a few rounds. I had no idea, but the rangemaster and devout Glockster, took the gun and went right to the inside of the grip and noticed the part that engages the notch in the mag was indeed mostly broken off. Installed a new part and was good to go.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Check the mag release on the inside of the grip. I bought a new G26 as a backup gun. When I went to qualify with it, every so often a mag would drop out. Thinking it was me, I would slap it back in and it would drop again after a few rounds. I had no idea, but the rangemaster and devout Glockster, took the gun and went right to the inside of the grip and noticed the part that engages the notch in the mag was indeed mostly broken off. Installed a new part and was good to go.
A brand new gun?

If I'm reading right the OP replaced the parts. The old parts ought to be in pics.

OP show us a pic of the grip with the offending mag or mags inserted.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Never heard of a broken mag catch on any Glock ever. The usual cause of a mag falling out is the shooter riding the slide stop.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Never heard of a broken mag catch on any Glock ever. The usual cause of a mag falling out is the shooter riding the slide stop.
Why would that cause the mag to drop out?

Whose mag extension are we talking about?

Improper, or incomplete insertion. Give it a tug to double check before shooting.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Why would that cause the mag to drop out?

Whose mag extension are we talking about?

Improper, or incomplete insertion. Give it a tug to double check before shooting.
Riding the slide stop will cause the mag to drop about 2mm, which is enough to cause a jam. I've seen that hundreds of times in competition. It is caused by not smashing the mag in, typically on a full load of 10 and one in the tube. It does not happen with 17 round sticks.

Now if the OP is running a OEM mag with OEM floor plate and no aftermarket magwell, then not seating it hard enough is the cause. If it's an aftermarket mag, or floor plate, or magwell, then it would any or all of those.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I made a bunch of these Huell Howser California's Gold knockoff videos about years ago. Called myself Jewell Mauser of California's Lead (although sometimes I would get that part wrong). This one is on reloading

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Which Glock to get? These used to be allot of fun to make. Xtra Normal went out of business a long time ago, but any vids made are still on you tube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First thing I’d check would be whether the new baseplates were keeping them from seating securely. IE, is the lip thicker and hitting the frame before solidly engaging the magazine catch.

The added weight shouldn’t have that effect at all if the mag catch is solidly engaged.
No help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts