Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

Just recently picked up a new G19 Gen 3 last week. Issue #1... Slide wouldn't go all the way back on. I discovered that if you depress the firing pin safety and push forward the firing pin, then the slide will go back on. To prevent this from happening, you have to make sure the muzzle is pointing down before taking the slide off.

Issue #2... I was having difficulty half the time getting the slide off. Now I can't get the slide off at all. FYI... This is my 2nd G19 Gen 3 purchase. The 1st one never had these issues.

This pistol hasn't been fired yet. I called Glock to initiate a return. They told me to go fire some rounds through it to see if that takes care of those two issues. I personally don't think it's going to resolve both issues.

I asked Glock, if I fire it, then it's not going to be a brand new gun anymore. Will that keep me from doing an exchange? He told me they have the right and discretion to either fix it, or send me another one.

To me, this isn't a warranty issue. This gun is obviously defective right out of the box. I just want a pistol with no issues from the git-go.

So, I imagine there are members in the group who have gone through this before. What are your thoughts on this, and what do you think is the best way to proceed?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
50,300 Posts
I worked gun retail for 7 years. I think I only remember one gun that was exchanged through warranty.
I sent a bunch of guns back to the manufacturer. Rugers, Sigs, AR-15’s, Taurus’ and even Glock.
Having a Glock messed up brand new is rare but it happens.
Getting a replacement gun means doing the paperwork all over again.
If the gun is defective they’ll get it fixed and it’ll be 100%.

·
Legitimate Combatant
8,033 Posts
If it were me I'd run some rounds through it.
Make sure liner and spacer sleeve are clean and oil free.
One drop of oil on each side of slide.

Tested a 17 & 26 few minutes ago.
With slide removed and in hand, barrel facing down pull the striker to rear. When shaking a small rattle should be heard. Depress plunger to allow striker that small bit of forward travel and shaking should produce no sound. Shake while holding plunger down and rattle should be much louder since the striker can travel further with plunger depressed.

With slide placed on frame just enough to latch without racking the slide the trigger bar will depress plunger enough for striker to also rattle much louder. Rack slide and rattle should be gone.

This will prove that the liner and spacer sleeve are clean without further disassembly.

As for not being able to remove slide RSA could be dragging or dropping off the lug on barrel? Is the RSA on the proper lug for assembly? Trigger must be pulled for slide removal.

Hope this helps some!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to stop by at the range tomorrow and run through 100 rds and take it from there. More than likely I'm going to have to send it in. Hopefully the turn-around isn't more than 2-3 weeks.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
50,300 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to stop by at the range tomorrow and run through 100 rds and take it from there. More than likely I'm going to have to send it in. Hopefully the turn-around isn't more than 2-3 weeks.
You might ask if there’s a Glock armorer at the range to give it a quick once over before you shoot it.
I recall Glock turnaround wasn’t too bad. 2 weeks or so.
It was one of the Glock 42 pistols that were fairly new at the time and the initial batches had a few issues.
Which makes your issues even more perplexing as it’s their most proven and popular guns. On the other hand they pump them out like there’s no tomorrow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would follow the steps listed above by Danzig and Olga, and send it in if that doesn't work. Just to ease your mind, during my lifetime I have had to send firearms back twice, to Browning and Springfield. I was worried both times, and both times I got the firearm back fixed and in better shape than it was when it left my home. I would expect no less from Glock. I have a couple co-workers who have had their stuff worked on by Glock, and their experience was similar to my own. I wouldn't sweat it if you have to go that route.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I would follow the steps listed above by Danzig and Olga, and send it in if that doesn't work. Just to ease your mind, during my lifetime I have had to send firearms back twice, to Browning and Springfield. I was worried both times, and both times I got the firearm back fixed and in better shape than it was when it left my home. I would expect no less from Glock. I have a couple co-workers who have had their stuff worked on by Glock, and their experience was similar to my own. I wouldn't sweat it if you have to go that route.
That's good to hear. I spoke with a man at Glock the other day, Daniel I believe. I could tell right off, he was very sincere.

So, I took the pistol to the range today and fired 100 rds of Fiochhi 115 gr FMJ. I had one FTF, and had two rounds to the head, including a casing that landed in-between my glasses and the side of my head. It seemed to me, that the ejections weren't consistent. Should be around 4 o'clock, consistently, shouldn't it?

I also noticed, that it took an unusual amount of pull to rack the slide, in order to chamber a round. I understand that a firearm needs a break-in period, but I don't recall that being the case with my first G19. Along with that, I'm still having issues taking the slide off. Again, never had this issue with my 1st G19. Let's face it, the take-down toggle switches/levers on some of these Glocks are a PITA. I've already broken two finger nails. There are many comments on YT, that complain about this issue, that Glock should of taken care of years ago. Considering Glocks have more after-market parts than any other gun, I'm sure I can remedy that issue.

Would be nice, if I could just exchange it for another one, even if I had to go through the paperwork again. It would be worth it to me. But it appears that's not possible. So I'll send it in, letting them know what the issues are, and hopefully the Glock Armorers can make it right.

Here's a side note... Please don't take this the wrong way, there's no other gun I rather have than a Glock. That's because I naturally shoot very well with it. But with that said, there's no such thing as "perfection." If it's man-made, it's not perfect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it ran fine until you took it apart?
I've been having issues with it since day one. The first day I had it, I took off the slide and tried to put the slide back on. It wouldn't go back on. I had to depress the safety plunger and move the striker block forward to get the slide to go back on. Before that, I might have applied too much force, and bent something. Perhaps that's what is causing the issue of having difficulty getting the slide off, as well as the issue of why it's taking so much force to rack the slide to chamber a round. I'll let Glock deal with it, and hopefully that will resolve the issues.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
The usual cause of the slide not going back on is the recoil assy is sitting on the higher notch of the barrel, not the lower. Once you remove it the spring will rest on the upper notch.

View attachment 279341
I agree....this is the most common problem when the slide doesn't function properly. Make sure the recoil spring assy is in the closest notch to the barrel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello:

Just recently picked up a new G19 Gen 3 last week. Issue #1... Slide wouldn't go all the way back on. I discovered that if you depress the firing pin safety and push forward the firing pin, then the slide will go back on. To prevent this from happening, you have to make sure the muzzle is pointing down before taking the slide off.

Issue #2... I was having difficulty half the time getting the slide off. Now I can't get the slide off at all. FYI... This is my 2nd G19 Gen 3 purchase. The 1st one never had these issues.

This pistol hasn't been fired yet. I called Glock to initiate a return. They told me to go fire some rounds through it to see if that takes care of those two issues. I personally don't think it's going to resolve both issues.

I asked Glock, if I fire it, then it's not going to be a brand new gun anymore. Will that keep me from doing an exchange? He told me they have the right and discretion to either fix it, or send me another one.

To me, this isn't a warranty issue. This gun is obviously defective right out of the box. I just want a pistol with no issues from the git-go.

So, I imagine there are members in the group who have gone through this before. What are your thoughts on this, and what do you think is the best way to proceed?
I would clean and oil then try what they said first maybe it will knock loose whatever is going on? Then I would clean and oil again to see if it helped if not I’d make them fix the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts