Glock in . 380?

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by DennyC, Jun 1, 2012.

1. DennyC

DennyC New Member

Does Glock market a 380? Heard yes but can't find one. My wife has small hands and weak grip think the .380 would be the ticket.

2. jnhfrahm

jnhfrahm Member

They do make a 380 but it is not for sale to the public in the united states. the g19 or g17 would be a good one. that's the first gun she shot and she loved the g17 accurate for her cause she controlled it very well.

3. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the .380s aren't available in the US. I have a G26 gen 4 and love it. It's a great gun. It has low felt recoil and adjustable backstraps. That may work for her. Do you have a range nearby where you can rent different guns to try?

4. DennyC

DennyC New Member

I've got a G23 and a G26. She has trouble controlling them and racking the slide is difficult.

5. DennyC

DennyC New Member

I've got LE friends. Can they acquire one?

6. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

My wife also shoots a G26

7. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

My wife had an Ruger LCP, I'm not saying any of these guns are bad but, you have a compact and a subcompact, My wife thought she wanted a small gun, I bought her an SR9 and she loves it, she has a very weak grip and hands from Arthritis and the full size gun was much easier for her to handle because she could have a full stock to grip. Just a thought, Good Luck.

8. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

I checked the specs and the G25 and the G28 are almost exactly the same size at the G19 and G26. There is only a 10th of an inch difference in the length. Width and height are the same. She may need to try some other brands to find what is right for her.

9. DennyC

DennyC New Member

Ok , thanks for the input.

10. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

I hope she finds something she is comfortable with. When I first started shooting Glocks, I had a really hard time racking the slide also and it just took time and practice (and building hand strength using hand exercise grips) to learn to do it properly. I also do a lot of dry fire practice to help with my control.

11. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

You really a tough girl G!! LOL:D

12. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

This thread needs to be a sticky! This has to be at least the 3rd one in just the last 30 days.

13. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Yes and no. We cannot purchase them personally. They have to be purchased by the Chief or Sheriff for departmental use unly but can be issued as a Back Up Gun (BUG).

14. Both of these issues is training and can be resolved. You can also add a single strip of skateboard grip tape the the top of her slide forward of the rear sight and that would reduce her issue with the slide.

Changing the recoil spring will help some but again it is training. I would be solid cash she is limp wristing even if you cannot see it.

15. G26, or G23 if she prefers a compact. On racking slides, I had a problem too with arthritis in my hands and my G27. You can get cocking assist levers that replace the piece on the back of the slide.

16. deathadder5150

deathadder5150 New Member

I don't want to start a new thread for a similar question, but does Glock ever plan on making a "single stack" weapon for concealed carry? I know that one of Glock's selling points is that all magazines work with other models of the same caliber. This would change that, but as I DO love my Glock 26 (gen4) I sometimes wish it was more slim. The only pistol I ever owned in single stack was the Ruger LCP and I hated it. One exploded to pieces in my friend's hand. Ruger quickly replaced the gun free of charge even though they blamed it on a "hot loaded" round. Good thing he didn't get hurt.

17. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

No Glock 380 available in this country, but they do make one, which is available only in Europe. I would suggest looking at a Sig P-238. It is a small, reliable handgun, which is capable of excellent accuracy. Due to it's small size it is very easy to conceal. Additionally, the slide is very easy to operate, which is a major factor in selecting a handgun for many women.

18. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

They make the G36 which is the one and only "Slimline" in .45ACP. The G36 has not been a stellar performer as far as sales, so they never made any more single stack pistols and I'd be surprised if they ever do.

19. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

Racking the slide on any Glock is difficult for the majority of women and sometimes impossible if a double recoil spring (Firedragon) has been added. This is not just an issue with the Glocks as the recoil spring on many handguns takes a strong grip.

I teach a technique that might help. Obviously, the muzzle should be pointed down range. Assuming a right handed shooter, instead of griping the slide with the left hand on top of the slide with the thumb pointed toward the muzzle and drawing the left hand back, try reversing the hand position with the left hand on top of the slide with the thumb pointing back towards the grip. With the left hand on the slide and the right hand on the grip, push both hands together in a quick motion across the chest. You will find this give you a little better grip on the slide and a little more leverage as the two arms are working together. Just remember that once the slide is fully to the rear release it so the full weight of the spring chambers the round. Releasing the slide in this manner is the way the gun was designed to operate. Do not continue holding the slide to "help" the slide chamber a round. Helping the slide can cause the slide to not go into battery.

As for the G-36 I count myself as one of the fortunate owners of this excellent handgun.

20. I recently had a Walther PK380 and it was easy to rack the slide and had very low felt recoil. The newer ones have had most of the bugs worked out, mine was a 2010 model and never missed a beat. Only reason I sold it and the XD45 that I had was to get some cash to pay off a couple bills and buy the gun that I really wanted, the Glock G30. Anyway, if you can find one check it out, they're not as bad as many folks say they are, at least the newer ones.