Glock Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Glock Gen 5 Model 23 one year ago. Upon bringing it home I did a basic strip down to inspect the weapon before shooting it. This weapon is a true beauty, however after firing my first 50 rounds at the local indoor range, upon cleaning it I noticed the new barrel was getting scored, removing the blued finish in circular narrow rings. Subsequently, after my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th 50 rounds, over the course of the months, this became worse. See photo attached.

I called Glock and they said this is normal fort the Gen 5 and it will not affect the performance of the weapon. But after spending a substantial amount of cash for a pristine weapon that I intend on keeping that way, by taking excellent care of all my Glocks, I feel Glock needs to correct this issue for me. It appears that when the slide operates during semi auto firing the opening for the barrel in the frame hammers the barrel just enough to make this happen. Compared to my Gen 4 Model 27, which still has a pristine finish on the barrel, the machined edges of the circular opening in the frame are knife sharp, where on my Gen 4 Model 27 it is not so. How many of you are experiencing this?

Table Wood Flooring Floor Automotive tire

·
Registered
460 Posts
My Gen 5 26 barrel had similar wear after 200 rds. I keep a little CLP on the wear spots and after about 800, it is no worse. Glock also told me that it is normal. I'm not worried about it. It's a great shooter!

I do not mean to be dismissive about your concern. I just expect some wear.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Every Glock shooter if they fire enough rounds thru their gun will have barrel smileys and top of barrel hood wear marks, much more pronounced that your example.
Glocks are combat arms, one can take excellent care of them but like a mechanics tools will show use marks, if you want a unmarked arm purchase what ever model you desire and Do Not Fire or Cycle it, put it in your safe and just look at it when you feel the need.
However you will never experience the joys of shooting it,Glocks and all arms for that matter are meant to be used and enjoyed, you take care of them as best you can but unless you want a safe queen take them out and shoot them.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It’s normal and just finish wear. It happens quickly with a new gun but typically, by the time you get 200 rounds through it the parts have gotten happy with each other and it’s pretty much done - ie it won’t get much worse. The wear you have after 200rds will be about what you have after 10,000 rounds.

While the Glock smile has been common since the first Gens, it’s a bit worse with Gen5 due to tighter tolerances.

It will not harm your gun and Glock will not replace because the next one will likely do the exact same thing.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
if you want a unmarked arm purchase what ever model you desire and Do Not Fire or Cycle it, put it in your safe and just look at it when you feel the need.
Never thought of that! Glocks are not art, they are just tools. What's the difference between a Glock and a hammer? The hammer has a better grip....Oh wait, I see a scratch on that hammer.

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Glockin’ since 1993
43,393 Posts
I noticed the Gen5 guns show barrel smileys much more rapidly than previous generations. I chalk it up to the finish. It’s normal and it’s on all of them that are being used.

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
I noticed the Gen5 guns show barrel smileys much more rapidly than previous generations. I chalk it up to the finish. It’s normal and it’s on all of them that are being used.
I’ve noticed the same thing, but like you said it’s just the finish. It reminds me of of what a new sig 226/229 looks like where the barrel hood shows through the slide after 50 rounds.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Agreed. I have Glocks in Gen 3, 4, and 5. Five shows wear fastest. I cannot speak to accuracy because to do so would be comparing a 22 a 30 and a 26 and my ability with each of them but I must say I like the Gen 5 despite the fact they consistently show wear faster than earlier generations. Gen 5 seems “tighter” for lack of a better word and that probably results in more early wear. But I do believe it is harmless wear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts