Glock Gen 4 Going Bye Bye

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by SJ 40, Jul 2, 2020.

1. SJ 40

SJ 40 Active Member

Looks like the Gen 4 is going away.

End Of An Era: No More GLOCK Gen4 Guns; .40S&W Will Go Gen5

It appears that what many of us were predicting finally happened yesterday: GLOCK Gen4 guns are no longer being produced in favor of the Gen5 GLOCK pistols. Residents of California and other more restrictive states have nothing to fear: the Gen3 GLOCKs will continue to be manufactured to support those customers. In addition, the GLOCK Gen4 models chambered in .40S&W will begin a transition to Gen5 production later this year. A brief statement from GLOCK as well as the Gen5.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/07/02/glock-gen4-guns/

Danzig likes this.
  2. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

More correctly stated "Looks like some Gen 4's are going away."

Please refer to...

Discontinuation of Gen 4 small frames...., post #16
    https://www.glockforum.com/threads/discontinuation-of-gen-4-small-frames.59123/#post-1801777

Thank you for the inquiry. Yes, Gen4 models available in Gen5 are being removed from production so we are only producing 2 generations of pistols.

The Gen4 9mm family will be available until July 1. After that the 17/19/26/34 will not be available in the Gen4 platform. As more Calibers are available in Gen5 those calibers will not be available in Gen4 for the commercial market.

The Gen3 17/19/26/34 will be produced with hi-cap and lo-cap magazines to accommodate all state magazine restrictions.

Warranty for owners of gen 4 products will still be covered.

With kind regards,

[​IMG]

As noted in Glock's response...

"As more Calibers are available in Gen5 those calibers will not be available in Gen4 for the commercial market."

It remains to be seen if 2 pin Gen 5 small frames can tolerate the abuse of .357 SIG cartridges and 2 pin Gen 5 large frames can tolerate the abuse of .45 Auto and 10mm Auto cartridges.

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020

3. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

Time marches on; I have a discontinued Glock now.

MAC A Voyage and SJ 40 like this.
  4. rbbeers

As do I. :)

Personally, I'm glad that Glock is introducing more Gen 5 calibers... in my opinion, the Gen 5 design is notably superior to previous generations. :D

Best regards,

Bob

5. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Gen 3 G19 Shooter Supporter

As long as I can still get parts and upgrades for my Gen 3 G19, I'm happy.

I've given up turning my Gen 2 G17 into anything more than a stock "duty grade" pistol.

Maybe I'll add a Gen 5 G34 to the mix...

6. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

I just swapped my gen 4 34 for a gen 5 34mos. Decided that I’d splash around in the carry optics end of the uspsa pool for a bit.

Little did I know I turned loose of a collectors item...

SJ 40 and Danzig like this.
  7. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

I really like the Gen. 5 too. The only thing I would miss is the finger grooves, but it seems most people never liked the grooves to begin with.

drums&guns and Danzig like this.
  8. chowser51

chowser51 Well-Known Member

if the gen3/4 357 barrels fit the new gen5 .40 guns, I will buy one to test.
    else, I guess I better go buy my twin gen4 32s this year for my blue label purchases.

9. rbbeers

Given that the same frames are used for the 40's as the 9's, the G32 Gen 3/4 and G33 Gen 3/4 357 SIG barrels should fit the new compact and subcompact 40's... but the lockup (locking block) of the standard size (G17) Gen 5 small frame is different from earlier generations.

Best regards,

Bob

chowser51 and SJ 40 like this.
  10. NQNPIII

NQNPIII Well-Known Member

2 pin 40's,..............again? Didn't they learn the first time?

11. rbbeers

Actually, they did. :)

The frame has been strengthened considerably since the early 2 pin 40's. :D

Best regards,

Bob

Bayou and SJ 40 like this.
  12. NQNPIII

What makes it heavier duty?

Bayou likes this.
  13. rbbeers

To answer your question in detail requires a LOT more research than I'm willing to do for you, as there have been numerous internal changes over the years.

If you're truly interested, I suggest that you start by understanding the Gen 2 frame design, then research the frame changes (particularly around the locking block) through the current Gen 5 design... then you'll have your answer.

Best regards,

Bob

Bayou likes this.
  14. NQNPIII

Thank you for your honesty. I passed on a really nice g22 in North Carolina not too long ago. It was a Gen2. If I remember correctly the Gen 3 g23 models hey cracking frames up in Kentucky for some law enforcement agencies. I don't know everything I have is either a Gen 5 or Gen 4. I have three odg gen 4's. Allegedly they break because of the tint or coloring agents in the polymer. I seriously doubt I will ever hit that high of a round count in any of them.

15. eric dublirer

eric dublirer New Member

Southlake likes this.
  16. CaptJH

CaptJH Member

Florida
    I have one Gen 2, five Gen 3 Glocks, and two Gen 4 Glocks. I much prefer Gen 3 over Gen 4. Two Gen 3s, 19 & 23, were bought last year for use with Trijicon RMR Red Dot.
    Goodbye and good riddance to Gen 4. I love my 3s.

17. NQNPIII

You sir are a racist!!!! :lol:

So I have a ODG NIB Gen4 G17.............where shall we start the bidding?? :p:D

MAC A Voyage likes this.
  18. CaptJH

CaptJH Member

Florida
    A proud deplorable racist, but I like black guns!! :)
    As the owner of 8 Glocks, I am definitely a Glock fan. I just do not like my Gen 3s or my 43.

19. NQNPIII

I can understand the dislike of the 43. I think my sister in law has one. My brother got a 48 and got the 15rd conversion mags. It's his duty back up weapon.