Glock frame wear

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by cambridge434, Jan 2, 2013.

1. cambridge434

cambridge434 New Member

So heres the story. I went to a new years party and one of the people there, no I didn't know him prior or now, is, or was a cop, I'm not sure which. Anyway I mentioned I wouldn't mind trading my G26 for a G27, since I have, and really like my G22. The first thing he says is "why?" I told him about my G22 and he says that he would never use a glock in a 40 S&W because the frame is intended for the 9mm and not a bigger caliber, thus the frame will wear faster.

I have never heard anything about this, nor can I find any info online. So I'm wondering if anyone else has heard that, if so where? If not, why might he be thinking that?

2. WillieB

WillieB Active Member

I've got a G27 and 2 G23s that I have shot the daylights out of. Most of the Police Departments issue G22s and replace them with G22s. I can't imagine anyone doing so if this was the case. My guns look new other than a little wear on the outside of the barrel at the breach and on the ramp, otherwise the guns clean up as new. Maybe your new friend had already had too much to drink?

3. Not only do the G22s stand up to years of Police Dept use, they also are in great shape when traded in and sold at Cabellas and other stores.

The person at the Party was talking just to be talking evidently,

4. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Evidently someone who doesn't understand engineering and design and definitely doesn't understand polymers.

I'd venture he's one of those anti plastic gun people.

Your fine. If they were unsafe, they wouldn't be sold.

D

5. TM23_co

TM23_co New Member

A few people who are anti .40 claim companies just squeezed a .40 in a 9mm frame. With that being true it wasn't that easy. The FBI had told an ammo company they want a .40 round in a 9mm frame.

Gun companies did their research prior to releasing anything. So they are just as reliable and sturdy as its 9mm counterparts.

6. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

Tell that to my 14yr old gen 2 27 thats been through hell and back with me and is my most shot glock ATM ;).

7. TM23_co

TM23_co New Member

I carry a 23 daily and have put close to 4000rnds through it with no issues.

8. WillieB

WillieB Active Member

After posting my original post, I got to thinking that my G32 has the same frame as my G19 and G23, except it's chambered in 357 sig. I'm also thinking the GAP rounded Glocks use this frame as well. It amazes me the things some people say with confidence when not knowing what they say.

9. cambridge434

cambridge434 New Member

He said he uses his glock 17 for carry and I think duty so I don't think he hates polymer guns completely. He didn't say any of that to me, he said it to a guy he was chit chatting about guns with so I was thinking he said it just to support his use of the g17 over any other.

10. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Even more interesting.

So if he's not anti-polymer, maybe he is, as someone else stated, anti .40. However, his argument is still invalid.

They woudln't sell them for duty use if the frames couldn't handle the larger calibers.

D

11. stangyg123

stangyg123 New Member

Some people just like to sound like they know what their talking about. The frame will hold up just as well whether your shooting 9mm or 40s&w.

12. Clarkz71

Clarkz71 Senior Member

He's a moron repeating internet BS. In 1990 the first year of the G22 & G23
    Glock added the 3rd pin for the locking block. They aready knew it needed
    beefing up. Around 97 when the .357 was released they made all the compact frames
    the same eventually all frames recieved the 3rd pin
    for ease of production. I've heard of some gun rental ranges that have
    G22's with 300,000 plus rounds through them. You can't afford to wear out any Glock
    with proper maintenance, spring replacement. I would install new pins and locking block
    once every 10,000 rounds to be safe of course if you keep the RSA fresh
    they should be fine as well.

G19, G23, G32 & G38 all compact frames, all the same.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  13. Glockinator19

Glockinator19 Certified Glock Armorer

That "cop" is an idiot.. Nuff said.

14. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

If thats true my g23 gen2 from 1990 shouldnt be working yet it still shooting strong. :)

15. Horse crap. I have Glocks in 9,40,45 and 10mm. No excess wear. He doesn't know what he is talking about.