Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I have a g17 gen 4 which I would like my wife wants to practice with. She finds the g17 a bit snappy, has anyone experienced the recoil reduction products? I have seen the DPM recoil reduction videos, but what are your thoughts?
Any info appreciated.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,608 Posts
I kinda thought they were snake oil but they’ve been around a fairly decent amount of time now. I’ve seen them on the racks at a couple of gun stores.
I don’t have any experience with them.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Hi folks, I have a g17 gen 4 which I would like my wife wants to practice with. She finds the g17 a bit snappy, has anyone experienced the recoil reduction products? I have seen the DPM recoil reduction videos, but what are your thoughts?
Any info appreciated.
A fingerless weightlifting glove will work wonders at reducing felt recoil. They are about $13.00 a pair at Academy, but I’m sure any sporting goods will have them. I only use one when I know I’ll be shooting a lot of rounds, and I use it on the shooting hand only. I just gave the left hand glove away to a lefty at the range.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
A fingerless weightlifting glove will work wonders at reducing felt recoil. They are about $13.00 a pair at Academy, but I’m sure any sporting goods will have them. I only use one when I know I’ll be shooting a lot of rounds, and I use it on the shooting hand only. I just gave the left hand glove away to a lefty at the range.
That's a clever solution! Never would have thought of that.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Fingerless weightlifting glove? Interesting idea.
Like SixG17s said, a proper grip and technique will help with recoil, but you have nothing to lose but having your wife try the fingerless weightlifting glove idea.
Let us know if it works for her.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
That's a clever solution! Never would have thought of that.
Glove Gesture Safety glove Sports gear Personal protective equipment

This is the exact one I have (Harbinger brand) but there are many different ones out there. This is one of the cheaper ones, but I liked it better than the more expensive ones since it was very lightweight, comfortable and your hand can breathe through it well. They do have them in women’s sizes too.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
View attachment 257499
This is the exact one I have (Harbinger brand) but there are many different ones out there. This is one of the cheaper ones, but I liked it better than the more expensive ones since it was very lightweight, comfortable and your hand can breathe through it well. They do have them in women’s sizes too.
Oddly enough, yesterday I went to a handgun training class out at my friend's outdoor range, and one of the participants was wearing a pair of gloves like that. I don't think they were that brand, but similar. He said he gets better control of the gun with them. I still have to think that's all well and good, but what happens when the "bump in the night" happens and you have to be ready for a potentially lethal encounter at 2:00am. There's no time to get the proper gloves on - to me, that's where mastering your grip comes into play.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
A glove without the proper grip will do nothing for speed and accuracy, it will just feel softer. Nothing substitutes for fundamentals: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Then jerk, not press, the shiete out of the trigger, without moving the gun.

Yes, heavier bullets have less felt recoil than lighter bullets for the same power floor.

Anyone struggling with recoil should go back to a .22LR pistol and get the fundamentals down first.

I only wear a glove for 3 gun/USPSA Multi Gun, on my left hand, for loading the shotgun, so it doesn't toast my fingers.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I haven’t used my glove in quite a long time now since I only wear it when I get to around the 250-300 round mark. It’s at that point my palm just below my thumb starts to get sore.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Bayou, and you are grabbing your Glock as high as you can in the web of your shooting hand?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Bayou, and you are grabbing your Glock as high as you can in the web of your shooting hand?
Yes, but not at first. Once I decided to put the medium beaver tail backstrap on, I started gripping as high as I could and also shifted my grip a little to the left to try and get rid of my continuous “low & left” shots. My accuracy did improve some, but the padded part of my palm just below my thumb starts to get sore between the 250-300 round mark. I did break that thumb pretty bad years ago playing softball, so that may be part of the cause of the pain,

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Based on the picture, it looks like the lower part of my left thumb could be pushed into my right hand a little more to tighten up my overall grip, but it feels a little awkward when I try it. I’ll give it a try next time I go shooting. The real test for me is when the target gets past about the 7 yard mark, that’s when my accuracy starts dropping.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Based on the picture, it looks like the lower part of my left thumb could be pushed into my right hand a little more to tighten up my overall grip, but it feels a little awkward when I try it. I’ll give it a try next time I go shooting. The real test for me is when the target gets past about the 7 yard mark, that’s when my accuracy starts dropping.
Practice this dry fire before heading to the range. The more you do it the more natural it will feel. You have to break the old bad habits. The proper grip will overcome many other bad habits. A poor grip will amplify anything not done correctly.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I think you’re right…probably just feels awkward because I’ve been doing it wrong for so long. Same applies to golfing. It feels awkward when I hold the clubs the correct way. I’m always told it’s a golf club not a damn baseball bat!😂

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I think you’re right…probably just feels awkward because I’ve been doing it wrong for so long. Same applies to golfing. It feels awkward when I hold the clubs the correct way. I’m always told it’s a golf club not a damn baseball bat!😂
Surprisingly golf and shooting share many similarities. Grip, stance, follow through, etc. Everything has to be in sync to make the perfect shot. Like golf if you practice bad habits you ingrain bad habits. Practice for both is imperative to improving. However, you must practice proper techniques and not just go through the motions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts