Glock Forum banner

Glock coating

7K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  nukinfuts29 
#1 ·
Anybody know how to take just the black coating off the Glock barrel and slide? I want them both to have that gun metal factory finish and I was told that if I just soak them in vinegar for a while I can just use a Scott's brite pad to take it off...if somebody could help n give me some suggestions it would b a great appreciation

#9 ·
Polishing The Serations

Has anyone polished just the serrations on a slide? I mean just the raised parts up to the sharp line that curves around to the top of the slide. I think it would look pretty sharp, along with a polished barrel.

Also, does anyone do "engine turning?" I believe that's what it is called. It is those little swirls.

Whjat say you, mr. Nuk?

#10 ·
Junior-G-man said:
Has anyone polished just the serrations on a slide? I mean just the raised parts up to the sharp line that curves around to the top of the slide. I think it would look pretty sharp, along with a polished barrel.

Also, does anyone do "engine turning?" I believe that's what it is called. It is those little swirls.

Whjat say you, mr. Nuk?
As for the fins yes, as for the second part i have no idea what your talking about....

#12 ·
Yes! Like that, 'cept the ones I've seen are overlapped. Go look at the dash on a '76 (and other years) Firebird Trans Am.

Are there any pics of the serrations, or fins, polished, that I can see? Thanks!

If so, I may very well have my fins and barrel polished this winter when I'm not shooting so much...By you, of course, Mr. Nuk!!

#13 ·
Yes! Like that, 'cept the ones I've seen are overlapped. Go look at the dash on a '76 (and other years) Firebird Trans Am.

Are there any pics of the serrations, or fins, polished, that I can see? Thanks!

If so, I may very well have my fins and barrel polished this winter when I'm not shooting so much...By you, of course, Mr. Nuk!!
I could do that effect, but I can tell you now it will look god awful.

I can try and get some pics together, but if you take a look around there are some here on the forum.

#15 ·
nukinfuts29 said:
Why not? It's the same thing.

As for the vinegar many people have got lucky, but I repair 3-5 barrels/slides a week that did not. There is no reason to soak or sand any part of a glock barrel or slide.
I just wouldnt try it on the slide. As for my barrel it functions great. Shot a 1 1/2-2in grouping at 10-15 yards after the polished work.

#17 ·
I hope not to offend the thread starter by hijacking by any means, I recently bought(yesterday) a Glock 27 with "dynamic finishes desert camo" on it but it looks horrible from wear and tear I suppose. Question is, should I have it refinished and what kind of costs are involved with that or is there a way to restore it to the black finish. I got a smoking deal, paid 300 for it and 2 mags and it shoots just fine, just need advice on the finish. Thanks guys.

#18 ·
EMSeight said:
I hope not to offend the thread starter by hijacking by any means, I recently bought(yesterday) a Glock 27 with "dynamic finishes desert camo" on it but it looks horrible from wear and tear I suppose. Question is, should I have it refinished and what kind of costs are involved with that or is there a way to restore it to the black finish. I got a smoking deal, paid 300 for it and 2 mags and it shoots just fine, just need advice on the finish. Thanks guys.
Check out nukinfuts29 he is a vendor here an from what I've seen and hear of he is really good.

#19 ·
Dynamic.....well their products leave a lot to be desired is a nice way to put it. They just don't stand the test of time. The current finish needs to be stripped and the gun needs to be prepped and then re-finished.

If all you want is to take it back to the black I can do it for $80 + $20 for return shipping and handling. You would have it back in a little under or right at two weeks. Right now the single color turn around is 8 days, but orders come in all the time so it could go up. Typically speaking single color jobs never take more than two weeks to make it back home to you.

Just shoot me a message if you want to place the order. I'm the cheapest option because I do it for this community. Make no mistake though, my work is far more valuable than the price I put on it.

Steve
Twisted Monkey Customs

#20 ·
I've been reading all this stuff about polishing so I had to give it a try. I pushed the barrel and it looks pretty good. However, the part of the barrel that you can see with the serial number has machine marks on it. What should I do to remove these marks so it shines like the rest?

#21 ·
Baker said:
I've been reading all this stuff about polishing so I had to give it a try. I pushed the barrel and it looks pretty good. However, the part of the barrel that you can see with the serial number has machine marks on it. What should I do to remove these marks so it shines like the rest?
Define machine marks? If you mean from the polishing and not from its creation then the answer is a rag and polish. If its from the manufacturing process you need a professional.

#26 ·
The barrel is very hard by design. Sometimes during the stamping process you get marred spots or imperfections. They need to be taken out very carefully with the proper tips and speed. It takes a very steady hand, also. Once it is taken out the surface then needs to be repaired slightly.

It's not something the average person can do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.