glock barrel

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by lima10, Nov 25, 2020.

1. lima10

lima10 New Member

texas
    Have a 17 that i want to shoot more accurate..
    Is it worth to go to a match barrel ?
    thanks for some input

2. Olga17

Olga17 Legitimate Combatant Supporter

I would not think a match barrel is that much better.

Heck I shoot my 26 with stock sights better than my 17 with a red dot.
    Best modifications I have ever made is reducing trigger pull weight and lessening pre-travel.
    Have seen a huge improvement in accuracy after trigger jobs.

tgiv, Greywood, NQNPIII and 2 others like this.

3. Southlake

Southlake Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

No, been there done that.

4. chowser51

chowser51 Well-Known Member

No. It’s the Indian. Not the arrow.
    I’m an ok shot. A coworker can cut his previous shot with his all stock Glock 31.

he did it with his issued gen 3 and continued to do it when we switched to gen 4.

j102, jhg and Lucian_253 like this.
  5. Greywood

Greywood Low speed High drag Supporter

GA
    If its a drop in barrel you probably won't see any difference. If its a fitted barrel you may see a difference. If your gonna do it get a KKM barrel or have Bar-sto fit a barrel or get 1 of their semi fitted barrels and do the rest of the fitting yourself.
    I have seen differences in barrels in my 10mm 1911 and ARs i owned. With glocks i only saw a difference in barrels passing heavy hard cast 10mm ammo.
    Start with your trigger and go from there.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    SJ 40 likes this.
  6. jhg

jhg Gunslinger Supporter

Your coworker must be a "natural". That is some mighty fine shooting. I am lucky to hit a pie plate. Getting old I guess. I used to shoot a lot better. I can still hit a bad guy in the vital zone at a reasonable distance. I will settle for that.

SJ 40 likes this.
  7. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

Describe your current shot pattern diameter and distance, and then what you would like it to be ?

8. grayman

grayman Active Member

A pie plate Is still within a chest sized target, I've switched down from an 8" plate to a 4" one to help tighten my shots up, I'm only doing about 7-10yrds, that's the clearest line of sight I have In my house.

jhg, Southlake and SJ 40 like this.
  9. grayman

grayman Active Member

One thing that helped me was to put In a full length SS rsa, just something about that dual spring In the gen4 I couldn't get use to. It's also a cheaper starting point than a new barrel and If nothing else you'll have a spare rsa when It's time to change out a weak spring.

jhg, Southlake and SJ 40 like this.
  10. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

Take shooting lessons from a competition Master/Grand Master (IDPA or USPSA). Shooting is 99% fundamentals: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control, and 1% gun and gear.

Yes, an oversized gunsmith hand fitted BarSto with a finished reamed chamber to your own custom hand loads will increase mechanical accuracy, but if you can't shoot to start with, it won't help.

SJ 40, BGFlying, Hollow-Point and 6 others like this.
  11. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Active Member

First, ask yourself what was the Glock designed for?

The original design was for military and police with priority on reliability and an “acceptable” accuracy. It was never meant to be a match grade “one hole in the target at 25 yards with 50 rounds” pistol.

I see a lot of people spending a lot of money trying to achieve a level of accuracy it was never designed for. Spend your money on ammo and practice, practice, practice.

If you want a high degree of accuracy, buy a custom made high dollar match grade pistol and again, practice, practice, practice.

Gunwale, Silver-Bolt, tgiv and 5 others like this.
  12. tgiv

tgiv Member

I did everything to my G27, EVERYTHING (including match barrels) and the only solution that solved THAT and other problems was switching to a Springfield version.

The politically correct TAKE on this would be that some handguns FIT better with some shooters, ergo why so many guns made so similar in same calibers.

FYI: from GlockUSA email response long ago ....
    Our guns are tested and will shoot a 4 inch group at 25 meters.
    I hope this info helps.
    With kind regards,
    J.S.
    Armorer

(= 13.971 MOA)

jhg likes this.
  13. tgiv

tgiv Member

Agree: Same with golf and for both .. a few lessons go a looooong way

SJ 40 and jhg like this.