Glock Firearms banner
161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
If anyone has an opportunity to swap barrels between a 'good' and a 'problem' G44, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd do so to see if the 'problem' follows the barrel.

As of yet, I've not had such an opportunity and I'm quite curious to know if 'leaky' fluted chambers are an (the?) issue.

Please post your results in this thread.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Just thought I'd add a note here relative to the on-going 'discussion' regarding the reliability of the G44 vs. the SR22 vs. the TX22 vs. 'whatever'.

Recently, a shooter was experiencing feed failures with a new Ruger SR22 and asked for my help.

The issue was that the feed lips of the magazines were 'towed out' just enough so that, when the slide cycled and the cartridges in the magazine 'popped up', the top cartridge would 'flip up' and wedge between the feed lips... causing the pistol to 'fail to feed'.

Simply stated, the magazines were defective... the feed lip spacing was 'bad'.

Personally, since the magazines are steel, my 'fix' would have been to very carefully squeeze the feed lips slightly closer. :rolleyes:

However, the shooter decided to return the pistol to the LGS rather than 'mess with it'. :)

Bottom line: 'Stuff happens' with all the brands... such is life. :(

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
552 Posts
Here’s my results fwiw....

I have 2 G44s. At first, I had some failure to feed issues (which I attribute to improper loading of rounds by my wife and son causing a nose down condition) and some failure to eject issues. I would say we would have one failure every 3-4 magazines. I was using mostly Federal match 40 grain ammo. With CCI mini mags, we never had issues.

So, I tweaked the extractor and instructed the users to make sure the rounds were oriented correctly in the magazine. Now, we have ZERO failures and I’ve been using any and all types of ammo. Surprisingly Thunderbolts ran fine, as well as Águila, Winchester wildcat, and Remington 525 golden. Federal and CCI still run without issues.

Also, after switching to the Glock threaded barrel without a can (still waiting on tax stamp ) I have had zero failures. In my novice and anecdotal experience, I feel the G44 needs about a 500-700 round break in period. That’s about when both of my G44s became really reliable. Ymmv so take my .02c for what it’s worth

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I have around 200 rounds thru my 44. It only handles cci really well. Unfortunately out the 1500 rounds I have only 100 rounds of cci. So I will have to struggle through the other stuff. Eventually I'll send it back to Glock and if they can't fix it, I'll trade it in. Shame on them. The taurus tx22 eats everything. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I have around 200 rounds thru my 44. It only handles cci really well. Unfortunately out the 1500 rounds I have only 100 rounds of cci. So I will have to struggle through the other stuff. Eventually I'll send it back to Glock and if they can't fix it, I'll trade it in. Shame on them. The taurus tx22 eats everything. Oh well.
I picked mine up rite after they were released, at first it was picky till about 500 rounds.
Then I tried a round it was not supposed to like or feed well,Remington Thunderbolt,damned thing gobbles them up also feeds and functions on Winchester Wildcats from the 70's.
Give it to 500 rounds and then decide if it needs to go back to the mother ship.

·
Legitimate Combatant
4,708 Posts
I've seen a lot of G44 complaints.
Would it not be better to break down the internals and run the rails on a stone?
Polish all said parts afterward instead of waiting for the 500+ round count to expire.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Would it not be better to break down the internals and run the rails on a stone?
Polish all said parts afterward instead of waiting for the 500+ round count to expire.
I polished all my parts with Meguiars aluminum polish and a dremel. Don’t know if it did anything or not but all my parts are nice and shiny

·
Legitimate Combatant
4,708 Posts
I've built several P80's and people have brought some to me that will not run.
In 9mm & 45ACP just racking the slide a few times I can say if it will run or not.
I can only imagine the 22LR with little power would be more sensitive to cycle properly.
Maybe I should buy one and try them out too!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Did that before I put round one thru my G 44 but by 500 ads. it's like corn thru a goose.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
lol..I lapped the slide tracks and frame rails with 10 micron compound. Improvement noted. I did it after the shooting session. One of the issues is the magazine design. Glock needs to fix that issue. I'll keep the thing but I am looking for the Tarus TX22

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
lol..I lapped the slide tracks and frame rails with 10 micron compound. Improvement noted. I did it after the shooting session. One of the issues is the magazine design. Glock needs to fix that issue. I'll keep the thing but I am looking for the Tarus TX22
Now I got you and am in agreement on Glock reworking the magazine.
,problem with mine is it takes longer to load the darn thing that it does to empty it.

Glad you saw some improvement from the fluff and buff procedure.

Reactions: gasgas

·
Banned
867 Posts
My son-in-law and I both bought G44's a couple of months ago. We have put all kinds of ammo through them both with the exception of CCI. I have lots of CCI but I'm not shooting it in the G44.

Son-in-law not shooting much now because he is engaged in some Covid assistance and just not able to get to the range.

But, I have probably put about 1000 to 1200 rounds through mine in the last 5 or 6 weeks and had no problems with feeding, firing or ejecting rounds. I've actually been taking pains to load the magazines in a manner and position to try to induce failures just to see if mine are going to have the problem. In all of the rounds I have shot, I have had one fail to feed the first round of a mag, and no other failures like that. Maybe had a total of 3 fails to eject but I know that a couple of those the round was really weak firing and so I kind of write those off to the ammo.

Now that I finally have my sights painted up like I want them, I have been able to zero mine really well at 15 yards. Had some problems initially, but have finally figured it out. Definitely have had to set the rear sight to compensate for left side shot placement, but that's good now too.

I will attach my target from last week, and a picture that kind of shows what I did to get my sights where I am much happier with them than I was with the original look of the stock sights.
IMG_1388.JPG
IMG_1387.JPG

·
Banned
867 Posts
OK, wife wanted me to show her G44 practice is paying off for her.

First target is from 15 yards, standing, two handed.

Other 3 targets are 7 yards, standing, two handed.

X is 1.5 inch dia, 10 is 3.0 inch dia. Splatterburst target is 6 inch diameter target.

I think she's doing really well !
G44 15 YDS.JPG
G44 7 YDS1.JPG
G44 7 YDS2.JPG
G44 7 YDS3.JPG

·
Super Moderator
63,156 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I realize this thread has some age on it, but I am also having trouble with a G44, mostly failure to extract.
I’ve read this entire thread and there are lots of hypotheses about what the problem might be.

For Bob and others who sent information to Glock, was there ever any response you can share? I called Glock and they basically said to take it to a Glock Armorer (which I don’t know if there are any around) or send it back to them. Looks like an expensive proposition to pay overnight shipping, etc. to send it back so I’m interested if there were any additional developments.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Welcome

I would give Glock a call as I've read somewhere that there is possibly a upgraded extractor for the G 22,sorry I want be of more help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would give Glock a call as I've read somewhere that there is possibly a upgraded extractor for the G 22,sorry I want be of more help.
Thanks for that. When I called Glock yesterday they said they have stopped sending out parts to customers because they are putting everything they have into building guns. Not sure it the part you mentioned is customer-installable or not, but they won’t send out anything right now.

161 - 180 of 206 Posts