Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have a Glock 44 which I bought within a year of them first coming out. It has consistently worked flawlessly with CCI mini-mags...I really enjoy shooting it. I use it to train students as well.

It absolutely does not function properly (fail to feed, stovepipes, FTF) with other brands. For example I just bought 4 boxes of Norma Tac-22 ammo. I can't get 1/2 way through a magazine without some sort of failure...and it is consistently this way. I switch back to the CCI's, and bang bang bang, gun is great.

I have been reading through old threads and there are some references to a fix that whas implemented? Can someone tell me the details? I own several G19's and they are the finest, most reliable handguns I own. But I am thinking of bailing on this G44 and going with a TX-22.

Thank you,

Patrick

·
Premium Member
7,102 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

My G 44 is from the same time frame as yours, all 22's are ammo sensitive,some more than others.
After putting 3,000 rounds thru it I stripped it completely and did a fluff and buff, changed the trigger shoe to a straight trigger,that made it a much more enjoyable gun,other than that I now have a bit north of 10,000 rounds thru it.

Some brands of 22's it hates and has problems with,Glock stated that the gun didn't care for Remington Thunder Crap and my gun just gobbles them up but doesn't care for some of Glocks recommended brands, nature of the 22 rimfire beast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an early 2020 vintage G44 and a half dozen mags of various age. I generally shoot Federal GameShock 22LR HV 40GR Solid without too many failures. I think the heavier bullets and high velocity improves function. Also, its the one Glock that needs to be kept clean and properly lubricated. It’s not perfect, and does cause me to have to clear the occasional Type 1,2 or 3 malfunction, which my other Glocks simply don’t not do. It happens seldom enough that I find it almost an attribute as I have to practice clearing a malfunction that I haven’t manually set up beforehand.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have only used CCI and Aguila (both JHP and FMJ) only because it's all I have seen for sale since getting my 44 shortly after they came out. Have had fewer issues than with some other 22LRs I've owned.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hi all.

I have a Glock 44 which I bought within a year of them first coming out. It has consistently worked flawlessly with CCI mini-mags...I really enjoy shooting it. I use it to train students as well.

It absolutely does not function properly (fail to feed, stovepipes, FTF) with other brands. For example I just bought 4 boxes of Norma Tac-22 ammo. I can't get 1/2 way through a magazine without some sort of failure...and it is consistently this way. I switch back to the CCI's, and bang bang bang, gun is great.

I have been reading through old threads and there are some references to a fix that whas implemented? Can someone tell me the details? I own several G19's and they are the finest, most reliable handguns I own. But I am thinking of bailing on this G44 and going with a TX-22.

Thank you,

Patrick
I like the 44 because it's so similar to the Glocks I do depend on, and it's cheap practice. I have a friend with a TX-22. They are nice, but I'm not sure they are better than a 44.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Minimags have been near 100% in my G44. Federal bulk hollow points are doing nearly as well. Remington Golden showed regular fail to feeds and I also noticed some light reports as well. My G44 didn’t like the Winchester bulk hollow point at all and I had a lot of malfunctions, nearing one per magazine or more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Minimags have been near 100% in my G44. Federal bulk hollow points are doing nearly as well. Remington Golden showed regular fail to feeds and I also noticed some light reports as well. My G44 didn’t like the Winchester bulk hollow point at all and I had a lot of malfunctions, nearing one per magazine or more.
Thank you for the tip to try Federal. As I indicated, the Norma Tac-22 will not work through 10 rounds either, without a failure of some kind.

Given the very narrow nitch it lives in, as a trainer for other Glocks, it is a good gun. I guess we just have to accept that we need to buy Mini-mags any time we see them on the shelf! If it was the only handgun Glock ever made, I suspect they would not be in business very long.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
45,328 Posts
Thank you for the tip to try Federal. As I indicated, the Norma Tac-22 will not work through 10 rounds either, without a failure of some kind.

Given the very narrow nitch it lives in, as a trainer for other Glocks, it is a good gun. I guess we just have to accept that we need to buy Mini-mags any time we see them on the shelf! If it was the only handgun Glock ever made, I suspect they would not be in business very long.
You should see the Sig Mosquito. Now that’s the worst.22!

·
Glockin’ since 1993
45,328 Posts
I’m looking for another 22lr handgun. For various reasons the G44 is on my list, but I keep coming back to the Ruger Mark IV models.
I have a lot of CCI minimags to run on a G44 should I decide to get one, but my Ruger Mark III has been so reliable that I think I’ll be happier with a Ruger Mark IV instead.
The Rugers are fun plinkers but I think the G-44 is better for training and maintaining muscle memory.

·
Premium Member
7,102 Posts
I’m also thinking a 22lr handgun I can carry in the backpack when hunting, hiking, camping, bugging out or shtf.
In that case the G 44 is a fraction of the weight of the Ruger,heck you wouldn't even know it in the pack.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The Rugers are fun plinkers but I think the G-44 is better for training and maintaining muscle memory.
Agreed on both accounts. I've had a couple Ruger Mark series over the years. They worked pretty well. The last one I had, a few years back, was a 22/45 that I bought because it was somewhat similar to the 1911 I was shooting a bit at the time.

The G 44 is much more like a standard Glock than that 22/45 was like a 1911!
G 44 is great for cheap training imo., if Glocks are among one's primary firearms.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts