Glock 44 ammo?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by onionz, Mar 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. SJ 40

SJ 40 Active Member

Congrats,glad all went well on it's first outing and it sounds as if fun was had by one and all.

2. Fredkali

Fredkali Member

At my local range I have had experience with three different Glock 44s. None of them work reliably with standard velocity ammunition. They all work fine with high velocity ammunition such as CCI Mini Mags and Aguila Super Extra. Buy a Taurus TX22.

3. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Send them to me... I'll make sure they function just fine. :)

Best regards,

Bob

j102, Southlake and helitack32f1 like this.
  4. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

We had some CCI mini-mags but intentionally did not shoot any of that. We were pretty sure there would be no problem with mini-mags so we just shot cheap ammo that we thought might be a problem, or that we had heard that people had problems with.

The gun felt really great to shoot. Felt and shot just like a Glock 19 without the kick. The trigger felt exactly the same as my Glock19 and the grip feel was identical to my Glock19.

My son-in-law has never been a huge fan of shooting a 22, but he said that he really liked shooting it and will probably spend more time with it than he had with his Sig Mosquito that he has. He shot some with it as well and had multiple, fail-to-fire, and fail-to-eject problems with it using the same ammo brands.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  5. I had a Sig Mosquito and as much as I liked the feel and Action of the gun, it choked on most ammo I fed it. Traded it on a Ruger Mk3. It shoots very well (accurate) but is heavy. And it sucks for drills based on my needs.

The G44 is pretty much everything I want in a .22. Reliable, decent accuracy, and works great for a training pistol. If I went out hunting, I’d take my Ruger, as it is very accurate...but my G44 is plenty accurate for pistol drills.

helitack32f1 and Danzig like this.
  6. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    The Sig Mosquito was one of the few guns I refused to stock, when I worked at the gun shop. Never heard of one ever running right.

BuzzinSATX likes this.
  7. ;)

helitack32f1 likes this.
  8. mattallamerican

mattallamerican Member

mine eats anything that looks like a 22 over 3000 rounds no cleaning

9. kengrant

kengrant Member

My 44 seems to work with most everything I have tried IF I make sure the first rd. to feed from the mag is pointing upward . I have no problem working with this as I have had for several yrs. a GSG 1911-22 that I have to do the same .

10. helitack32f1

helitack32f1 Well-Known Member

That definitely seems to be the case with the vast majority of Glock 44’s. I was able to get near perfect reliability out of mine with 16 out of 17 flavors of .22 even without loading it as the instructions insist. However, our resident brilliant gun engineer/fiddler rbbeers has proven that just the simple addition of slots on the magazine completely eliminates the need to care about what that top round is doing because it would always be in the right place. Unfortunately Glock hasn’t seen fit to incorporate this simple and cheap modification even though they have been made aware of it.

TheKraken and rbbeers like this.
  11. kengrant

kengrant Member

" However, our resident brilliant gun engineer/fiddler rbbeers has proven that just the simple addition of slots on the magazine completely eliminates the need to care about what that top round is doing because it would always be in the right place. Unfortunately Glock hasn’t seen fit to incorporate this simple and cheap modification even though they have been made aware of it."
    Would like to know more about the slots that cure first rd. feeding problems . I have not seen that idea .

12. rbbeers

Start here...

Glock's new G44, post #247
    https://www.glockforum.com/threads/glocks-new-g44.58125/page-13#post-1751525

Best regards,

Bob

13. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

My son-in-law and I both bought G-44's in the last month and have shot them with all kinds of ammo.

The only problem he had was CCI Quiet would fire but not cycle the slide and rechamber the next round. Not a surprise since the ammo pretty much states it is not for automatics.

We shot pretty much every other ammo you can find normally including a good bit of 36 grain bulk .22 lr. He payed no attention to how his mags were loaded and in probably 500 rounds not a single failure to feed, eject, or anything else with his.

I started out being really careful with the first round pointing up, then saw a video that it did not have to point up so I shot about 20 mags worth making sure that the ammo WAS NOT pointing up and had no failures to feed of any kind and out of the 200 rounds had one stovepipe with Blazer 40 grain.

So, I have decided the two guns that I have personal experience with will shoot pretty much any ammo including 36 grain and bulk ammo, it it takes no special precautions with magazine loading. Totally happy with them both.

Danzig likes this.
  14. rbbeers

The purpose of the tab on the top front of the magazine is to push the bullet of the top cartridge 'up' if it's pointing 'low'... the tab 'does its job' most of the time.

However, IF the top cartridge is pointing 'too low', the cartridge will indeed jam against the tab and fail to feed.

With the slots cut into the magazine, the top cartridge simply cannot point 'too low'.

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Danzig likes this.
  15. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

I understand and if I was having a problem with feeds then I would worry more about it. But I was not able to make it fail by having the rounds point pretty much directly at the tab so I just started loading without really paying any attention to it.

16. rbbeers

I'm glad your experience with your pistol is good... but that doesn't negate the issue or the value of the 'fix' for those pistols and magazines that aren't quite so cooperative. ;) :D

Best regards,

Bob

17. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

Oh no, I agree with that. Even when I first started with it I was very careful about position of the top round and it really was not that big a deal to give it a shake and it fell right into position.

I did see where someone had brought out a 16 or 18 round mag for it and I wonder if those are reliable ?
    I'll be looking for reviews and comments on those and other larger capacity magazines.

18. rbbeers

I'm not aware of one, but I wasn't looking for one either.

I'll scout around and see what I can find... maybe we can get some help from some other members as well.

'Til later... :)

Best regards,

Bob

19. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

20. rbbeers