Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first box of Remmington went through my G44 with maybe 1 or 2 failures. I bought my second box of hollow points for the fun of it and the first cartridge of every magazine would not feed and get stuck. I've heard that you shouldn't load lead bullets in a Glock. If so, what should I load in a G44. Most 22lr are lead. Is it ok to use lead in a G44?

·
Registered
469 Posts
My first box of Remmington went through my G44 with maybe 1 or 2 failures. I bought my second box of hollow points for the fun of it and the first cartridge of every magazine would not feed and get stuck. I've heard that you shouldn't load lead bullets in a Glock. If so, what should I load in a G44. Most 22lr are lead. Is it ok to use lead in a G44?
Hello onionz! I am curious as to what hollow point bullets you are having a problem with. I have so far tested my G44 with 17 different types of ammo and the only one that was a major issue was Winchester 1280 fps 36 grain copper plated hollow point bullets due to the fact that they have the widest tip of any of the bullets I tried. It is best to just use different ammo but if you want to use the ammo you were having issues with, make sure the top round of your loaded magazine is up tight against the feed lips of the magazine. That should allow the first round to feed properly and usually the subsequent rounds will work fine after that.

As for using lead bullets, there is no restriction in the manual regarding lead bullets. I have fired many lead bullets through mine without issue.

If you want to nearly guarantee smooth running, pretty much any normal ammo manufactured by CCI will work well.

Have fun!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ones I had the most trouble with were Remington brass plated hollow points. They would get stuck at the ramp jammed on the nose of the bullet. I would lock the slide open and tilt them out. Racking the slide would not work. I heard that other Glocks weren’t designed to take lead bullets. They had to be coated or plated. Thanks for the tip on CCI.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is no answer to the question. Unfortunately, every Glock G44 is different. At my local range, I have had personal experience with three different G44s. They all work well with CCI mini mags but vary considerably with other brands of ammunition especially bulk ammo like Federal, Remington golden and Winchester. If you already own a G44, you will have to experiment. If you don't already own one, wait until Glock gets their sh*t together.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The ones I had the most trouble with were Remington brass plated hollow points. They would get stuck at the ramp jammed on the nose of the bullet. I would lock the slide open and tilt them out. Racking the slide would not work. I heard that other Glocks weren’t designed to take lead bullets. They had to be coated or plated. Thanks for the tip on CCI.
There are possible work-arounds for your feeding issues. The first and easiest one would be to avoid that specific ammo. If you continue to use that ammo, make sure you load the mags as per the manual. That means, set the bottom of the mag on a table or something solid and then feed the bullets in by pulling down on the follower tabs just far enough to place a round in and then release the follower, then start again with the next round. Sounds tedious but it actually is quite easy and intuitive. When you are done, regardless of how you load the mag, make sure the last shell loaded is up tight against the feed lips of the magazine before you place the magazine in the gun and then that first round should feed fine, as will the subsequent rounds, hopefully. And do not try Winchester white box 1280 fps plated hollow point ammo to solve your problems, it will also cause issues. Round nose bullets of any kind should aid in reliable feeding.

As for lead bullets in Glocks, I don't know what to say other than point out that neither the manual for the Gock 44 nor the manual that came with my 19X specifically exclude the use of lead bullets. In the past it was said that due to the special rifling in Glock barrels, lead was not to be used as it could cause a dangerous buildup of lead at the beginning of the rifling and cause a dangerous over pressure situation. I do not know if this has since been proven wrong or what but there is no mention in the current Glock manuals that I have seen.

Anyway, I hope you get to try some other ammo and it works well for you. keep us posted. The Glock 44 is a great gun and tons of fun!

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
There is no answer to the question. Unfortunately, every Glock G44 is different. At my local range, I have had personal experience with three different G44s. They all work well with CCI mini mags but vary considerably with other brands of ammunition especially bulk ammo like Federal, Remington golden and Winchester. If you already own a G44, you will have to experiment. If you don't already own one, wait until Glock gets their sh*t together.
You are correct,my G 44 gobbles up Remington golden bullets and chokes on Agillia super extras that most agree as suitable for the G44's. and yet mine not so much.

So like most other 22 rimfire,try different brands and see which your gun likes.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
All you can do is try all the brands until you find some that work better than others. That's true for all .22LR pistols and rifles.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
All you can do is try all the brands until you find some that work better than others. That's true for all .22LR pistols and rifles.
This, although I will say that for whatever reason, I've never had a malfunction that I can recall when using minimags; either HP or solids. Every pistol and rifle I've run them in, afaik has been 100% functional with them. Not that you want to be married to only one ammo, but as a fallback or starting point it might be worth trying.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Well I ran 50 rounds of minimags thru my oldest 10/22 and it backed out the large pin that holds the trigger group. No more after that.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Wonder how it does that; isn't the pin held in place by the stock?

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Didn't mean backed out, the larger pin bore became oblong (front to back). Apparently Ruger warns against MiniMags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apparently Ruger warns against MiniMags.
That's not true either.

I have owned well over 25 Ruger 10/22's in my life and have a ton of manuals in my garage. NOWHERE in the manual does it say anything about not using Mini-Mags, actually it states the regular Carbine model works on ALL 22lr ammo. Standard Velocity, Hi-Velocity & Hyper-Velocity, which that statement covers pretty much 99% off rimfire ammo.

The only restrictions Ruger evens states in the manual, is that Stinger rounds are not approved for the Target Model 10/22, which comes with a target barrel!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had 2 1022's and a Mark 4 and a friend has a Walther 22 pistol - the only 22 ammo that consistently runs through them are CCI Minimags. That's our experience anyhow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had 2 1022's and a Mark 4 and a friend has a Walther 22 pistol - the only 22 ammo that consistently runs through them are CCI Minimags. That's our experience anyhow.
CCI Mini-mags are definitely one of the best performing 22 rounds. But a 10/22 that is properly maintained and running right, should run close to 100% with all ammunition!
Out of all the 10'22's I have owned, they all ran close to 100% with any and all ammo. But I also work as a gunsmith part time and know all the tricks to getting them function flawlessly!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
CCI Mini-mags are definitely one of the best performing 22 rounds. But a 10/22 that is properly maintained and running right, should run close to 100% with all ammunition!
Out of all the 10'22's I have owned, they all ran close to 100% with any and all ammo. But I also work as a gunsmith part time and know all the tricks to getting them function flawlessly!!
Please share at least some of said tricks, if not here, start a thread. That would be fantastic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's not true either.

I have owned well over 25 Ruger 10/22's in my life and have a ton of manuals in my garage. NOWHERE in the manual does it say anything about not using Mini-Mags, actually it states the regular Carbine model works on ALL 22lr ammo. Standard Velocity, Hi-Velocity & Hyper-Velocity, which that statement covers pretty much 99% off rimfire ammo.

The only restrictions Ruger evens states in the manual, is that Stinger rounds are not approved for the Target Model 10/22, which comes with a target barrel!
Mini Mags are the gold standard of 22LR as far as reliability and consistency. They are the most reliable of all 22LR rounds but do cost almost twice as much as "bulk" ammo such as Federal 36 gr. or Reimington 36 gr.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mini Mags are the gold standard of 22LR as far as reliability and consistency. They are the most reliable of all 22LR rounds but do cost almost twice as much as "bulk" ammo such as Federal 36 gr. or Reimington 36 gr.
Indeed, but twice as much for almost nothing (in normal times at least) is worth it to me, to not deal with all the duds and failures that one usually finds with bulk .22 long rifle ammo.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Indeed, but twice as much for almost nothing (in normal times at least) is worth it to me, to not deal with all the duds and failures that one usually finds with bulk .22 long rifle ammo.
If you haven't done so, you may want to try CCI Blazer 22LR bulk cartridges... typically available for about 3.8¢ per round.

BLAZER .22LR AMMO TEST/REVIEW

CCI Blazer 22 Long Rifle Ammo 40 Grain Lead Round Nose
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci...mmo-40-grain-lead-round-nose-0021-p-1357.aspx

Note: Locally, the 500 round boxes are sometimes available from Walmart at Target Sports USA 'case' pricing (that is, with free shipping).

Best regards,

Bob

1 - 20 of 88 Posts