Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Other and list in the comments

Votes: 4 9.5%
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for my first Glock. I've been carrying a Kimber .45 Stainless Ultra Carry for about 10 years (Picture below). I don't love trying to conceal it and when I was younger I actually used to open carry it. Now with some more life experience, I realize I have no desire to open carry as I don't think it's a great idea. I'm wanting to move to 9mm, so I've been looking into the Glock 43 and 43x for a CCW.

I'm about 6'1" and 190lbs. I'm not a huge guy and wear a large size glove. I normally wear t-shirts and cargo shorts in summer and t-shirts and jeans in winter. I also regularly attend church where I wear slacks and button downs often with suit jacket or sport coat. I am in a state where we are only allowed to have magazines that hold 15rds or less.

I don't really care for the feel of a 26 or 19 as they are a bit fat to get my hand around comfortably. I prefer the feel of the slimmer 43x and 43. Overall though the 43x feels best as it has the full grip. I've been doing some intensive research for a few weeks, including watching videos, reading reviews, and reading forums. I finally decide to start asking other people's opinions with my current situation.

What does everyone suggest? I can only buy one currently. Obviously I lean towards the 43x especially if I can get some shield arms 15rd magazines, but my main goal is to conceal and I wonder how much easier it will be compared to the Kimber. Is there a noticeable difference or would the 43 be the best bet? If I get a 43 then I will eventually look into getting a 48 so I can swap slides and frames to have the Franken-43x. I think I've listed most of the pertinent information, but ask if there is something else I should have mentioned. Any thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Carried a 19 for while, switched to the 43 much more comfortable to carry in my opinion. 43x seems kinda gimmicky to me.
Why "gimmicky?"

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Why "gimmicky?"
The 43 was made for concealment. The 43x was made for people not liking the short grip. The 43x is a hybrid, 43 and 19. Essentially defeating the purpose of the 43. To me this is gimmicky.

The 43x is basically a thinned out 19 with a shorter barrel. I see no reason for this.

Then there's the 19x, which is only slightly taller than the 19 holding 2 extra rounds.

Both x models are simply a play off the original.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
43X is a hybrid of 43 and 19? I dont see it.The dimensions of the 43X are much closer to the 43.Both the 43 and 43X are very close in most dimensions except the grip.

I should hope it is closer to the 43, considering it's a 43x. The hybrid portion is the height. The 43x and 19 have the exact same height.

Hybrid by definition.
A thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture

You get the same caliber, but the slimness of the 43 with the height of the 19. Hybrid.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
It depends on how you intend to carry the gun.
Pocket carry: G43.
IWB carry: 43X.
The advantage of the G43 is if you were to pocket carry it. If you carry IWB, or start adding magazine extensions to add more rounds, might as well get a G43X.
Now, you mentioned buying a G48 in the future and have three guns if you buy the G43 now. That’s another option. But why would you need a G48 if you buy the G43X now?
The G48 is great, and I might get one in the future, but as of today, I don’t see the reason for it. I would rather carry a G43X, and for home defense, I would rather have a G19.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I should hope it is closer to the 43, considering it's a 43x. The hybrid portion is the height. The 43x and 19 have the exact same height.

Hybrid by definition.
A thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture

You get the same caliber, but the slimness of the 43 with the height of the 19. Hybrid.
If you say so.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I have bought both a 42 and 43x so my wife could shoot or carry either. My wife has longer than most women's fingers and likes the 42 size for in her purse,but the 43X for shooting and carrying otherwise.I like the 43x as well,but I am more of a 41 and even 23 fit,but the X shoots well and feels comfortable.I went to my local gun shop and we held the 43 and the 43X.The X won out for us,but its a matter of feeling best for you.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
43...or just buy a 26 in my opinion. I mean I guess if you can’t shoot the short grip I guess the 43x serves a purpose. If you can deal with the shorter grip I say the 26 over both. The 26 is so easy to carry that I personally don’t see any reason for a smaller or lighter gun.
I put Pearce +0 pinky extenders on my G43 mags. It helps with the smaller grip of the G43. I also use a Pachmyr grip sleeve on it for better grip especially if your hands get sweaty. For me, The G26 is too heavy for one side pocket carry. I put an extra 43 mag in my other pocket for better balance out

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
@stokes Why does a vehicle manufacturer make two models of the same car, one runs on fossil fuels, the other on fossil fuel or electric and call it a HYBRID. I don't think your understanding the definition of hybrid here.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts