Glock 42- Round in Chamber but Trigger Uncocked?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Nathan Paulsen, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Nathan Paulsen

Nathan Paulsen New Member

Hi everyone, first-time poster here.
    For starters, my EDC is a Glock 42, I carry +1. Set the round in the chamber and close slide, then insert magazine. I do this religiously in the morning.

I checked my Glock 42 as I was going to bed one night, and noticed that the trigger looked like it had been fired. Upon removing the magazine and checking the chamber, a live round popped out. After cycling the action a few more times, I dry-fired and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary, so I put it to bed.

Today, the same thing occured. The criteria were the same, meaning that I left the Glock hot and holstered overnight in my safe from the day before. I've never had the issue when emptying/loading at the beginning/end of the day. Can anyone here help me diagnose this? Thanks!

2. Southlake

Southlake Island Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

3. ronnie948

ronnie948 Active Member

I never heard anyone do it the way you do.
    I put the loaded magazine in the gun, Rack the slide, Drop the Magazine and insert a round.
    I'm guessing the way you do it is probably fine but I really don't know.
    I don't ever unload my Glock 43 unless I go to the range and fire it at least once a month and it fires perfect every time.
    I just keep it fully loaded with one in the chamber,
    At home I keep a MIC trigger guard on it on my Lazy boy and on my nightstand when I go to bed.
    It is in my holster all day.
    Ronnie

4. officerX

officerX Well-Known Member Supporter

It's never been recommended to set a round in the chamber and then close the slide.

Insert a full mag, pull the slide back and release it fully, drop the mag and put another round in.

or

Start with the slide locked to the rear, insert a full mag, drop the slide lock, drop the mag and put another round in.

I'm guessing the trigger not being cocked had to do with the way you're loading it.

C25 and BuzzinSATX like this.
  5. Nathan Paulsen

Alright, update. Something strange just happened.
    I dropped the mag, cleared the round, and dry-fired. Then I inserted the mag, racked the slide, and the trigger DID NOT set. There is now a round in the chamber but the trigger did not set.
    EDIT: There's a slight rattle like the striker isn't being blocked. It's not nearly as loud as my G19 but it sounds similar.

Jwh_225 likes this.
  6. Southlake

We have a couple of very good armorers on here that have seen this problem before and will come along and help you out. That's what we do here. :D

gunnut1987 likes this.
  7. officerX

Have you had the trigger assembly out of the gun recently?

L-2 likes this.
  8. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Is the front tab of the cruciform 'tucked under' the trigger spring catch (as in the picture below)?

Cruciform.JPG

Best regards,

Bob

L-2 and Southlake like this.
  9. Southlake

Thanks Bob. :)

I thought it sounded familiar.

rbbeers likes this.
  10. Nathan Paulsen

Yes, it looks very much like yours. When I manually push that lever opposite the slide release (forgive my poor nomenclature) the cruciform does move, and lock into place eventually. Pulling the trigger causes it to break as usual. As a side note, it's quite stiff to manually move. Should that be lubed?
    [​IMG]
    (Edited for picture embed)

Attached Files:

11. sonnyd

sonnyd Active Member

It may not damage your extractor, but the way you are loading, is making the extractor jump over the cartridge rim. We all have our own way of chambering a round, but I have never done it that way.. I'm like most, especially with a full mag, I Lock the slide back, insert the magazine, then slingshot the slide. It makes the whole process easier especially when you have a full mag..fighting the resistance...

Mitchell Ota likes this.
  12. officerX

?????

13. Nathan Paulsen

I personally haven't. The officer I bought if from likely hasn't either, we used to shoot together often. All we did was field stripping.

14. rbbeers

The pistol should be lubricated in accordance with Glock's Preventive Maintenance Instructions... https://us.glock.com/documents/gun_maintenance.pdf.

Personally, at this point, given the symptoms, I'd detail strip, clean, and inspect all of the parts.

It's a bit difficult to see, but the trigger bar may be rubbing against (binding with) the frame, as the clearances seem a bit tight.

In the picture below, the red arrows indicate the trigger bar gap clearances and the yellow arrow indicates the slight angle of the rear of the trigger bar. The gaps should be 0.005" to 0.010" and the angle of the rear of the trigger bar should be just barely noticeable.

G42 trigger reset 3.JPG

Compare the above highlighted areas in the pictures below.

G42 trigger reset 1.jpg G42 trigger reset 2.JPG

Ensure that the trigger connector is at the proper angle relative to the trigger housing assembly, similar to that shown below.

G42 trigger reset 4.JPG

Ensure that the trigger connector reset tab is riding (approximately) in the center of the reset ramp of the slide, as shown below.

G42 trigger reset 5.JPG

Please let me know, then we'll proceed.

Best regards,

Bob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  15. Southlake

16. J8541

J8541 New Member

Nathan,

Any update on this? I have a Glock 21 which has done the exact same thing twice in the last two weeks. Wondering if you determined the cause. Please let me know, thanks

17. Nathan Paulsen

Followed suggestion to NOT breach-load my G42 and so far, it hasn't happened again. For what it's worth, I keep breach-loading my G19 and it's never had that issue. The only difference between those two guns (that I can tell) is that the slide is real stiff on the small guy.

All I did was field strip and clean nicely, and load from the magazine instead of inserting a round directly into chamber. It probably helps that I cycle and empty the pistol every night now.

18. cazbass

cazbass Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Nathan - welcome to this forum. Your most recent post above caused me to read this thread for the first time. I'm glad to hear that your 42 hasn't had the weird problem you described, since you quit loading it the way you used to do.
    I would suggest you stop loading your 19 from the breech as well, and just get in the habit of loading all your Glocks the same way - fill the mag, insert the mag, rack your slide to get a round in the chamber, drop the mag and insert one more round. I'm no armorer like Bob and some others, but it seems to me that the reason your 19 doesn't behave weirdly is because it's built so brutally rugged. Yes, it will apparently withstand being loaded that way, but just in the name of treating your Glocks like the fine machines they really are - you should load ALL your semi-automatics (Glock or otherwise) from the magazine. Remember, my advice is worth the price you paid for it... LOL

C25, gasgas, Southlake and 1 other person like this.
  19. rbbeers

Hi, Nathan!
    To cazbass' point, the following post may be of interest...

https://www.glockforum.com/threads/snap-caps.52937/#post-1373367

Happy shooting!

Best regards,

Bob

Southlake and cazbass like this.
  20. J8541

J8541 New Member

Bob,

Thanks for your time and help in the other thread. Can you explain how breech-loading the first round could cause the trigger to become "decocked" while carrying? Is that a possibility, or is there another cause?