Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just shot my brand new Glock 42 today. I happened to be at a friends house and only had the seven rounds that were in the gun. Which were .380 Estate ammo which has federal stamped on the back of the cartridge. Its what I picked up at the gun shop when I bought the gun a couple days ago. All seven rounds failed to eject. I have always thought highly of Glock and have shot many of there pistols and other pistols without issues. Never had an issue of having a limp wrist but I even confirmed my grip after the first couple rounds malfunctioned. I am going to try some different ammo tomorrow. Although I sold my ruger lcp to get this gun and my LCP ate every round I put in it with no problems. Have I made huge mistake of spending over 400 dollars on this gun? As of now I definitely don't want to trust it with my life if the time ever comes. If this is a gun that will only except certain ammo I hope there is a recourse in getting my money back and finding a gun I can depend on.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not what anyone wanted to hear about glock's current QC program! The fun of buying a new firearm will long be forgotten as you now start down the- fix this thing-road. It seems as though glock's current position is IT'S YOU, NOT OUR PRODUCT. Never know, hopefully bullet brand will resolve your issues.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You haven't given the G42 a fair chance. Seven rounds is hardly enough ammo to pass judgement on a brand new gun. Clean, lube it and run some quality ammo through it. Shoot some self defense ammo that you plan to carry in it and see how it does.

This is another good example of why you don't trust your life with a carry gun until it proves itself with reliable ammo.

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If your issue with ejection was empty cases still in the chamber after firing, then it most likely is a problem with very lightly loaded ammo. Offhand, I don't remember seeing any chronograph results for Estate ammo. Glock 42's have had this issue with some extremely light ammo such as the Barnes XPB.

If that is not the issue, and you have the same results with various other ammo, then Glock will fix it for you. They have for me with a 20 that would not feed any ammo. It took sending it back twice, but the second time they offered me any pistol I wanted. And, as OhioLefty said, you haven't given it a fair chance yet. I have four 42's that are absolutely wonderful with almost 4000 rounds thru them.

If you have not done so already, field strip it and make sure there is not too much of the copper anti-seize. One of my wife's 42's had so much that even after wiping a lot of it off, it still had a failure to feed (not eject) during the first range session.

Try different ammo and keep us updated and I hope your results with it in the future are as good as mine have been.

·
Banned
172 Posts
My first few magazines had problems too but it is great now. I think the gun is just smaller and tighter or something and needs more breaking in than other Glocks. Lube it and keep shooting I love my 42

·
Registered
212 Posts
cycled 200 rounds through my new 42. Only had 2 stovepipes. Used Remington ammo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok feeling a lot better after being able to try a few rounds of different ammo this morning. I ran a couple of Winchester FMJ and also some Hornady XTP ammo through. All ammo cycled great without any malfunctions. Tried the Estate ammo again and immediately failed to extract. So definitely will stay away from the Estate ammo and from what im seeing in other places the Barnes TAC-XPD is causing issues in the 42. Very pleased with the way the 42 handled after putting some different ammo through it.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Call Glock if it's an early production run..they have some upgrades. Mine needed 200+ rounds to break in. Once it broke in it would shoot ammo it previously rejected. After mine was 100% I sold it to a young lady that wanted it for competition and SD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the G19 an the G42 great carry guns . the 42 is my summer carry ammo plays a very important part. Range time is important to find the wright ammo.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ok feeling a lot better after being able to try a few rounds of different ammo this morning. I ran a couple of Winchester FMJ and also some Hornady XTP ammo through. All ammo cycled great without any malfunctions. Tried the Estate ammo again and immediately failed to extract. So definitely will stay away from the Estate ammo and from what im seeing in other places the Barnes TAC-XPD is causing issues in the 42. Very pleased with the way the 42 handled after putting some different ammo through it.
I am glad to hear that it is only ammo related. And, thanks for letting us know to stay away from Estate ammo. I've had good results with Blazer aluminum, Georgia Arms, and Freedom Munitions XTP in all of my 42's. Freedom Munitions FMJ worked good in two of ours, but I have not tried it in the other two. It is quite stout, so it definitely has the power to cycle the slide.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had early ammo issues except it would fire any hollow points. Polished feed ramp with 600 grit auto sandpaper using pencil eraser. ..YouTube videos on it...and it now eats anything including steel and aluminum case. Horrible fte experience with Atomic reman when first bought gun. Federal reman no issues since polish job.

·
Registered
944 Posts
glad is working now, that's why the carry gun have to be tested, ammo, magazines and even the holster to be carry in.

·
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
752 Posts
Im waiting for mine to come back from Glock, mine was one of the first run models.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
G42, SP101 and G19 are my best shooters. I think eventually my collection needs a G43 and a Ruger GP-100 with a 3" or 4" barrel.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
G42, SP101 and G19 are my best shooters. I think eventually my collection needs a G43 and a Ruger GP-100 with a 3" or 4" barrel.
The 43 and GP-100 are excellent choices. I've only rented them and both were extremely easy to be accurate with. My wife and I may rent a 43 again and determine if we want two or more.

I think I am now shooting 42's better than anything else, definitely better than my recently purchased 19. I need some more time with it. Here is the results of my trip to the range yesterday during a break at work. This target was at 10 yards with a few Georgia Arms FMJ and Blazer Aluminum. Upper left was 29 rounds. Middle was 12.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts