Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had an interesting thing happen to my G42 today: went to the range to get more defensive ammo and in the car as I was loading my mags and tested the round out to see if it would cycle well, I noticed a problem. When I put my mag in and racked the slide, 99% of the time I had to do it again because my 42 simply did not like loading into battery the federal hydra shocks. They would get stuck on the feed ramp. Only when I violently sling shot the slide did it load properly. So this worried me and I went back to the range to test it. And oddly enough the gun, despite the failure of loading into battery 99% of the time sans the violent sling shot, it fed without problems every time. I fired 20 rounds of the hydra shocks without issue. But still, the problem persists when trying to cycle the rounds through the gun to test it.

I have fired the remington golden sabers flawlessly through my 42 and also I have fired countless different ball ammo without issue. But for some reason it does not like to properly load into battery the hydras.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Had 60% FTF shooting JHP until the Glock Gunsmith polished the feed ramp.

Since fired 100 rounds of HPR Hyperclean XTP 90-grain some single handed and 100 FMJ without a problem.

Thanks for the info about remington golden sabers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I personally feel that the problem with the 42 feed problems is with the top of the mag and not the gun. I purchased my gun the first day that they were released and I now have had no problems. I run Atlanta Arms and WWB and they cycle perfectly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I personally feel that the problem with the 42 feed problems is with the top of the mag and not the gun. I purchased my gun the first day that they were released and I now have had no problems. I run Atlanta Arms and WWB and they cycle perfectly.
Was a repair accomplished or do you attribute "cycle perfectly" to run in?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nothing has been done to the gun. I feel it is the fact that the top of the mag where the metal part of the mag was catching the casing, was the issue. So I "guess" that it is the breaking in or run in of the gun and mags that help. As long as the ammo is good ( my gun would NOT feed Precision One but the owner told me that the ammo was no good after I called him and he said that he has since changed the load. But would not give me any break on my next order so I refuse to ever buy from him again) like Atlanta arms, WWB etc, then you will be fine.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Sounds like the gun was functioning as it is supposed to. "Violent" cycling is pretty much what happens when the gun is fired and driven back into battery by the tension of the RSA.

Hand cycling any ammo is not exactly a great way to test wether or not it will function in the weapon.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the gun was functioning as it is supposed to. "Violent" cycling is pretty much what happens when the gun is fired and driven back into battery by the tension of the RSA.

Hand cycling any ammo is not exactly a great way to test wether or not it will function in the weapon.
I guess so. I just have done it that way with every gun I have ever owned (even a s&w walther ppk/s) and it all worked fine just like that. So the fact that the G42 didn't do it with the hydras it worried me.

Well, today I got some fine grit sand paper, (it helps having a really good gun smith as your friend and neighbor :D ) and well after 30 minutes I managed to polish the feed ramp of the 42. I will post pics later. It works better at cycling the hydras, but they still get caught up occasionally. But it did help a bit.

Overall, I still love my G42, one of the first ever released back in January. I just need to call Glock after the long weekend and see if they will send me the new parts they are using (from my understanding the recoil spring and the slide stop lever? if anyone knows of any others please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is not surprising that your pistol ran fine while being fired with the hallow points. your hand can not come close to the force of a spent bullet operating your gun. So as long as you remember to rack your 42 hard using that ammo I am sure you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
rcasares,

I'm carrying Blazer aluminum in mine as it has been the most accurate & no issues.

The only expanding loads I've seen that consistently penetrate 12" or more thru bare & heavily clothed gelatin are ones from various manufacturers that use the Hornady XTP. I have not purchased any & if I do so I would prefer the load from Hornady themselves. I've had great results with the Critical Duty in 10mm & 9mm with accuracy & reliable functioning. There are a lot of .380 tests here http://shootingthebull.net/blog/ & here http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/. Ljutic (on Glocktalk) who has the moustgeunaddict blog recently purchased a G42 & will or has done some gel tests with it. He has done a lot of .380 gel tests both with fmj & expanding loads. He found similar results with XTP loads as Shooting the bull did. But, his fmj tests results were quite different.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's the best 380 fmj you guys recommend to get my hands on?

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I put my mag in and racked the slide, 99% of the time I had to do it again because my 42 simply did not like loading into battery the federal hydra shocks. They would get stuck on the feed ramp. Only when I violently sling shot the slide did it load properly.
USPS delivered Federal Premium Hydra-Shoc 90 grain JHP .380 Auto. this morning.

As you mention you had a problem racking Hydra-Shoc I racked 4 mags through in addition to a mag of HPR Hyperclean 90 grain JHP and Federal Range (white box) 95 grain all without a problem.:)

I also measured the Cartridge Overall Length (COL) with the following results.
Fedreral Range 95 grain FMJ COL 1.163 inches
HRP Hyperclean 90 grain JHP COL 1.165 inches
Federal Premium Hydra-Shoc 90 grain JHP COL 1.142 inches

One point, this is after the Glock gunsmith look at my Glock 42 and polished the feed ramp.

Will be shooting tomorrow and I will post range results.

·
Registered
403 Posts
rcasares,

I'm carrying Blazer aluminum in mine as it has been the most accurate & no issues.

The only expanding loads I've seen that consistently penetrate 12" or more thru bare & heavily clothed gelatin are ones from various manufacturers that use the Hornady XTP. I have not purchased any & if I do so I would prefer the load from Hornady themselves. I've had great results with the Critical Duty in 10mm & 9mm with accuracy & reliable functioning. There are a lot of .380 tests here http://shootingthebull.net/blog/ & here http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/. Ljutic (on Glocktalk) who has the moustgeunaddict blog recently purchased a G42 & will or has done some gel tests with it. He has done a lot of .380 gel tests both with fmj & expanding loads. He found similar results with XTP loads as Shooting the bull did. But, his fmj tests results were quite different.
Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I also posted this i Glock 42 but it is about defensive ammo so I think it fitting to be here.

"I thought and posted before that my Glock 42 was running fine after a ramp polish but I was wrong. Sorry.

Today shot 50 rounds of HPN Hyperclean 90 grain JHP and 50 rounds of Federal Hydra-Shoc 90 grain JHP with numerous failure to feed and a couple of failure to eject problems.:(

Also shot 50 rounds of Federal FMJ range ammo without problems.

I have a total of 454 rounds fired.

Picture of failure to feed problem.

Weapon was test fired April 4, 2014 and has the updated -1 parts and a 1 on the frame.

Weapon is back at the dealer for return to Glock."

·
Registered
211 Posts
Looks like it's hitting/rubbing just about everything in there, tight fit for sure :(. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Since the hollow points often don't penetrate enough and the hardballs leave small wound channels, is there anything wrong with perhaps alternating the two in a carry mag? Of course these would be rounds that you've proven can run in your particular gun without fail.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Since the hollow points often don't penetrate enough and the hardballs leave small wound channels, is there anything wrong with perhaps alternating the two in a carry mag? Of course these would be rounds that you've proven can run in your particular gun without fail.

I have heard of several people doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Forum
Glock G26, G30SF and G42
Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 and M&P Shield .40
Walther P22 "First Edition"

1 - 20 of 49 Posts