Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Beretta,Glock,Smith&wesson
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay guys going fishing in a couple weeks last time i went fishing i saw a bear on the other side of the River i jumped in my Jeep and drove off LOL.

So at the Current Time the Most powerful Gun i have is a my Glock 40 MOS 10MM, i know i know .44 Magnum or a .500S&W or a 12 Gauge with Slugs but i don't have any of these at the moment.

I know it's Recommended to use NON HOLLOWPOINT ammunition for possibly going up against a Grizzly Bear because you want the deepest Penetration into the Grizzly Bear since they have all that Fat that acts as Body Armor.

Obviously anything that can kill a Grizzly Bear will easily kill a Regular Black Bear overkill is better than underkill in my opinion.

The only 10MM Ammo i have right now is some FMJ 180gr (LAX Branded ammo) advertised at 1059 feet per second i don't think that would be enough.

I Keep hearing about underwood,Buffalo Bore Specifically in 220gr-230gr Heavy Cast Lead Bullets which i think would be the Best for encountering a Grizzly Bear what do you guys think???

Also i know glocks say their polygonal rifling of their barrels will lead up really quickly would it really be bad to shoot Hard Cast Lead Bullets out of a Glock 40 10MM Factory Barrel???

I mentioned in a previous post that i had to replace a Glock 17 Factory Barrel due to Leading up and Pitting and firing of Deep Seated Rounds but in that situation i Didn't clean out the Lead like it should have been after many many Hard Cast Lead Bullets. Just wonering if you guys think it will be fine

I've Heard of folks shooting FMJ after shoot Hard Cast Lead Bullets to Clean out a large portion of the Lead Build up Makes Sense.

Is there a Specialty Product for Removing Lead out of a Barrel or anywhere else on the Gun???
in conjunction with regular Gun Cleaning Chemicals

Hopefully any 10MM Ammo will be reliable in my Glock 40 MOS

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Okay guys going fishing in a couple weeks last time i went fishing i saw a bear on the other side of the River i jumped in my Jeep and drove off LOL.

So at the Current Time the Most powerful Gun i have is a my Glock 40 MOS 10MM, i know i know .44 Magnum or a .500S&W or a 12 Gauge with Slugs but i don't have any of these at the moment.

I know it's Recommended to use NON HOLLOWPOINT ammunition for possibly going up against a Grizzly Bear because you want the deepest Penetration into the Grizzly Bear since they have all that Fat that acts as Body Armor.

Obviously anything that can kill a Grizzly Bear will easily kill a Regular Black Bear overkill is better than underkill in my opinion.

The only 10MM Ammo i have right now is some FMJ 180gr (LAX Branded ammo) advertised at 1059 feet per second i don't think that would be enough.

I Keep hearing about underwood,Buffalo Bore Specifically in 220gr-230gr Heavy Cast Lead Bullets which i think would be the Best for encountering a Grizzly Bear what do you guys think???

Also i know glocks say their polygonal rifling of their barrels will lead up really quickly would it really be bad to shoot Hard Cast Lead Bullets out of a Glock 40 10MM Factory Barrel???

I mentioned in a previous post that i had to replace a Glock 17 Factory Barrel due to Leading up and Pitting and firing of Deep Seated Rounds but in that situation i Didn't clean out the Lead like it should have been after many many Hard Cast Lead Bullets. Just wonering if you guys think it will be fine

I've Heard of folks shooting FMJ after shoot Hard Cast Lead Bullets to Clean out a large portion of the Lead Build up Makes Sense.

Is there a Specialty Product for Removing Lead out of a Barrel or anywhere else on the Gun???
in conjunction with regular Gun Cleaning Chemicals

Hopefully any 10MM Ammo will be reliable in my Glock 40 MOS
Both the links above are hard cast 10mm that has a coating to protect your barrel. I carry the 220gr.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aside from a 20MM Vulcan Mini Gun or a Desert Eagle .50AE or a .454 Casull Revolver I Feel Comfortable with the 10MM for a Possible Grizzly Bear Encounter.

So what exactly is the Hi-Tek Coating? Any of you guys ever had it jam in your Glock 40 or Glock 20?
Sounds like good stuff i wish i could buy it but it's sold out but i think i am sold on it:giggle:

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Aside from a 20MM Vulcan Mini Gun or a Desert Eagle .50AE or a .454 Casull Revolver I Feel Comfortable with the 10MM for a Possible Grizzly Bear Encounter.

So what exactly is the Hi-Tek Coating? Any of you guys ever had it jam in your Glock 40 or Glock 20?
Sounds like good stuff i wish i could buy it but it's sold out but i think i am sold on it:giggle:
I shot a box through my g20.3 before I switched to the 220gr exclusively for woods/Mountains carry. 0 issues.

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Saw a vid the other day of a brown bear laying down fairly quickly after several shots of 9mm.have also seen brown bear guides bringing in grizz silhouettes on a pulley system for clients at real speed.if I had a auto loader shotgun I truly trusted with good capacity and the right slugs and a back up g29 (Underwood ammo) in case he or she got on top of me I would feel fairly safe.same old lesson,its all about shot placement.

·
Premium Member
ıסмм
105 Posts
I second these recommendations...

·
Registered
603 Posts
+ What ever. If all you have is 10mm this would be what to carry in it.
I've used their 40 Hard Cast and it worked quite well on a 300 pound sow that took offence of us being too close to her piglets. No, we weren't that close.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I second these recommendations...
I third these recommendations.

A Glock 20 with Underwood Hi-Tec coated 220 gr HC is my preferred carry when I'm out roaming around the property.

Not a lot of Grizzly bears here - supposedly - but every few years a possible suspect is spotted. We do have plenty of black bears, moose and mountain lions. I'm more concerned with the moose than the bears or the lions. I feel fairly confident that the 220 gr hardcast would be effective against a moose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dang i Can't find Underwood 220gr Hi Tek Coated 10MM ammo anywhere for my GLOCK 40 of course right with everything going on it's expected. So i am wondering do any of you guys know about these Buffalo Bore Dangerous Game Mono Metal 10mm Ammo? Like what is a Mono Metal Bullet exactly? would you guys trust it to Kill a Grizzly Bear? DANGEROUS GAME 10MM AUTO - Mono-Metal Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

They are 190gr 1200fps-607 ft lbs energy assuming that is at the Muzzle
They advertise 1,172 fps -- Glock model 40 -- 6-inch

Also there is Ammo That seems to Be Pretty Close if not the same as the Underwood 220gr Hard Cast 10mm Except it's not coated with Hi Tek it is 220gr Hard Cast and is rated at 1200fps & 703 ft lbs of energy assuming at the muzzle

I am leaning towards the 220gr Buffalo Bore Hard Cast it just seems more logical should i encounter a Grizz or just a regular Black Bear because i am Officially Hooked on Fishing i am gonna go everyweekend LOL.

So for the BB 220gr Hard Cast there is a a review from a guy Running a Glock 40 with a KKM Barrel and a 22lb Glockmeister recoil spring, Do you guys think that my Glock 40 with Just being a Factory Barrel and Factory Recoil Spring would FEED-FIRE & EJECT these Rounds Reliably???
Does anyone know what the factory Glock 40 Gen4 Recoil Spring is rated at in Pounds?

I think if i Fired 45 Rounds of Buffalo Bore 220gr Hard Cast 10mm through a Glock 40 Factory Barrel i would be okay and not Ruin The Barrel right? Just one Hell of a Bore Cleaning afterwards Anybody got a Good Chemical and Recommended Method for Removing Lead Build up in not only the Bore but anywhere in the Gun?

I know you can buy the Hi Tek Coating as well and coat your own Bullets/Ammunition but i don't wanna try that with my luck i would end up making them Unreliable to Feed and Eject LOL

Someone on another forum i read not too long ago was claiming he had His Glock 10mm Factory Magazines ruined by Keeping Uncoated Hard Cast Lead Ammo in his magazines *** how would that even be possible???

Unitil i can find some Underwood 220gr 10mm Hi Tek Coated ammo the Uncoated Hard Cast 220gr 10mm Will have to be in my Glock 40 Ready to go with me Fishing from here on out hopefully i won't have to ever use it.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
37,949 Posts
I believe Glock and others that employ polygonal rifling frown on lead as non-hardened lead builds up and leads to unsafe pressures that could lead to an explosive kaboom.
Properly hardened lead shouldn’t have that issue.
If you arevery concerned with lead buildup throughout the gun then I’d recommend a Sonic cleaner which can be had relatively cheap nowadays.
I think a regular cleaning should work though.
As far as ammunition, there are threads here that members discuss 10mm bear rounds.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you take a hammer to the bullet it will deform but the Hi Tek remains in place, you can hit a bullet with a torch and the alloy will melt out leaving the Hi Tek coating shell in the shape of the bullet,It's damned good stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I'm aware of Glock Frowning upon Hard Cast Bullets through their guns i learned the Hard way many years ago LOL. Yeah i don't even wanna mess with any Chemical Coatings that i have to put on myself on my own Hard Cast Bullet Ammunition I just would rather not deal with that Lethal Chemical stuff thanks for the tip though SJ40. Hickok45 said if you just shoot some FMJ Through Your Gun after shooting Hard Cast Bullet Ammunition that will do Most of the Cleaning Obviously you still have to Clean the gun the normal way as well. That really does make sense if you think about it. Dang i will just buy the Buffalo Bore Hard Cast 220gr 10mm just to keep in my Mags in my G40 and will only fire if Grizz is Charging at me so if i still have this Ammunition years from now that is a Good Thing LOL

Do you guys think the Buffalo Bore 220gr Hard Cast 10mm will run in my Glock 40 Reliably with no problems???

i have never even shot this G40 it's still brand new the only one i shot was my Buddies 2 years ago.

Maybe you guys know more about this than i do but will Lead Particles if they get anywhere else in the gun Such as the Firing Pin Channel Say from Firing them, Would that cause any kind of major damage and would the lead particles be difficult to 100% get out of the Firing Pin Channel just out of Curiosity?

Saw a Regular Bear and 2 of her Cubs last sunday it's always a intimidating site to see but i was in my Truck and they were going in the opposite direction away from where i was heading so that was just a reminder to me to be Cautious out when Fishing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I believe Glock and others that employ polygonal rifling frown on lead as non-hardened lead builds up and leads to unsafe pressures that could lead to an explosive kaboom.
Properly hardened lead shouldn’t have that issue.
If you arevery concerned with lead buildup throughout the gun then I’d recommend a Sonic cleaner which can be had relatively cheap nowadays.
I think a regular cleaning should work though.
As far as ammunition, there are threads here that members discuss 10mm bear rounds.
Are you talking about a Ultrasonic Cleaner like one you can get at Harbor Freight? I have one actually so that is actually a good idea to use after shooting Hard Cast Lead Bullets.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
37,949 Posts
Are you talking about a Ultrasonic Cleaner like one you can get at Harbor Freight? I have one actually so that is actually a good idea to use after shooting Hard Cast Lead Bullets.
Yup. That’s what I’m talking about. Doubt you could get enough buildup in your guns from firing lead unless you just never clean them.
You need to test any ammunition for carrying. State minimum back when I was a cop was 5 rounds to ensure reliability.

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Saw a vid the other day of a brown bear laying down fairly quickly after several shots of 9mm.have also seen brown bear guides bringing in grizz silhouettes on a pulley system for clients at real speed.if I had a auto loader shotgun I truly trusted with good capacity and the right slugs and a back up g29 (Underwood ammo) in case he or she got on top of me I would feel fairly safe.same old lesson,its all about shot placement.
I’ve shot those pull targets. They are fun!! Really help, since most practice shooting a non moving target.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts