Glock 36 Questions

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Dan75719, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

What is everyone's opinion on the glock 36? I have been looking at that to replace one of my current guns. I originally bought the Kahr CM9 that I use for pocket carry in pants that I cannot wear a belt with or for athletic clothes. It is a nice gun but I have regretted that purchase ever since I got it just because I prefer Glock. How does the glock 36 compare in size to the Kahr CM9 (basically is it slim/light enough to still be used for pocket carry)? Also, how does it work if I want to sell the Kahr and trade it in for the glock? I am in Ohio if that matters. I have always bought my guns new so I have never dealt with trying to sell one for a different one.

2. HenryinFlorida

HenryinFlorida New Member

It can't be used for pocket carry. It is all around too big in my opinion. Now, it does make a good IWB carry gun, and that's how I carry it.

3. If you get a chance, shoot it first. IMO, not the most fun Glock to shoot and unfortunately, my G36 was a lemon. I had probably 5-6 FTF's every 50 rounds. Had the local Glock amorer and "expert" shoot it, buds who compete with Glock shoot it and all had the same issue. It was not a favorite of mine anyway so I got rid of it. Others will love it of course and a friend of mine has one that has been pretty much flawless and it's his EDC.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  4. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

I think it would be the easiest glocks to ccw. The grip is a little awkward to me and thats the only reason I havent bought 1. Quite a bit bigger and heavier than the cm9 though.

5. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

I had planned on shooting it before I get one. I was doing a little more research on it and I saw where others have had the same problem with FTF. Does anyone know why this is since all other glocks do not generally have this issue? Not sure about it now since I keep coming across those issues in places I look.

6. hulk405

hulk405 New Member

I have about 500 rounds through my 36 with no issues at all.

7. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

I love my G36. I carry it every day with a clip draw. I have about 750 rounds through mine with no issues at all. Not one malfunction. Love it!!!!

8. jeapster93

jeapster93 New Member

I carry my 36 with a pachmayr decelerator grip in a N82 pro holster. The gun is very easy to shoot, have had no malfunctions. I highly recommend the 36 for edc.

9. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

How much thinner is it compared to the 19/23 size? I have a 19 that is my primary edc. I love it and will continue to carry that one but there are some things I wear that does not allow for the thickness or weight of the 19, which is why I went with the Kahr. I have seen the dimensions on glock's website, but I mean real-world application...is it noticably thinnner or lighter?

10. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

Not much thinner than the 19 if it is at all

11. jeapster93

jeapster93 New Member

It's definitely a smaller gun than the G19 of which I have also, width wise is negligible but length, height, and weight are very apparent. I carry mine at the appendix position with no problem. It would be best if you could physically hold one at a lgs to see if it's for you. Personally I'm very pleased with my purchase.

12. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

When I first bought mine, I had a NY1 trigger installed. Terrible. Found out later the LGS left the original spring in. So instead of about a 8lb trigger I was cranking against about 12lbs.

Anyhow, my first run at the range was terrible. Totally all over the paper. Went home disassembled the critter and found the guide rod to be the flimsiest rod I ever saw.

Replaced it with a s/s rod and took out the NY trigger and outshot everyone on our range during requals. And that was only the second time it was on the range.

Good gun, but bottom line? Wish I had gotten the G30sf instead.

13. Michat

Michat New Member

I had the ghost edge trigger assembly installed and it is remarkable. I had one installed in my 19. And had to have one in my 36. It's the best trigger assembly I have found. Can't find a extended mag ur slide release though.

14. MaxVice

MaxVice Member

My opinion of the G36 is that I'd rather have a G30S.
    Isn't the Kahr CM9 a 9mm? The G36 is a .45... they are not comparable to each other. If you're looking for something similar to the Kahr CM9, then look at the Glock 43 - it is a 6+1 9mm. If you're trying to move up the a .45 AUTO, then my vote is for the 30S, but it is a double stack and larger than the CM9 (aka not for pocket carry).

EDIT: I didn't realize how old the OP is - someone revived it. Maybe my post will still be useful...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  15. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

I was seeking a 36 and persuaded by GLOCK employee to consider the 30S because of the higher capacity and still comfortable for EDC. Went to a gun show and tried different 45 ACP. For my hands the 36 didn't feel right. Best fit was a the 30 GEN 3 in that platform. Ended up getting the 30S which had a slightly thinner grip but now switching it out for a 30 GEN 4 so I can add a strap and increase the width. For me. How it grips is first as I want to have as a natural a motion as possible.

I've placed about 150 rounds and no FTF issues except when I placed a TLR-2 light on it. Every single mag had one fail or more. Same light on my 21 GEN 4 was flawless.

Something else. Since felt recoil is highly subjective this is my input. Rented a 30 GEN 4 and ran a box through it plus my 30S as well same session. I noticed I enjoyed the GEN 4 more. Heavier slide. I just like the grip texture better as well. It's not going to be as comfortable for me to EDC but I've tried both at the same time and although I feel a difference I don't see the thicker slide being a problem.

Something else to consider. The 30 platform has a 9 round mag which considerably lowers the part that sticks out the most in EDC. I thought I was going to hate it but love and how I carry my gun although still waiting on CCW so it's just training around the house. Don't know if that's an option for the 36. If it is than highly recommended. One less round but just more convenient.

Not trying to persuade you away from the 36 but I went through the same process and perhaps this helps. For me the grip told me not to even bother shooting it. Your mileage may vary and like woman's purse, I had to find the right peace for my situation. Good luck.

16. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

I just noticed the OP date as well. Lol. Too early in the morning.

17. Che

Che Member

4+ years old. It just wasted my time. :eek:

18. ca survivor

ca survivor Active Member

the SA SDs is a tad smaller than the Glock 36, the XDs has a grip safety, don't know if you would like that, I do.

19. pfultz

pfultz Member

The only Glock I ever traded in. Got the 30 to replace it.

20. ca survivor

ca survivor Active Member

yep, I sold mine too, never warmed up to it.