Glock Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was looking at getting into idpa and my question is should I get a glock 34 or just stay with my carry gun to compete? Is there really that much of a advantage with a glock 34?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Ok so I was looking at getting into idpa and my question is should I get a glock 34 or just stay with my carry gun to compete? Is there really that much of a advantage with a glock 34?
You didn't say what you carry, so the ability to campare is nil.

As a preference though and as a IDPA Safety Officer (SO) I have to say for now, stick with what you carry. If it shoots straight, runs reliabilty, and you handle it well, stick with it.

I shoot the 34 in the Competition catagory at GSSF and it is a fine pistol, but that is a lot of barrel to drag out of a holster for us short people (5'7"!

Myself, I would never use the 34 for SD or EDC. It is hard enough for me to conceal a 23 in the winter or a 27 in the summer months.

Now the wife has gone from competing with a 19 to the 26 and she really has improved her scores so it kind of goes with the shooters ability I think.

·
771 Posts
Decisions, Decisions!

Sometimes we make life more difficult for ourselves needlessly...In the 9mm category, I have a 26, 19, and a 34...I use all 3 for IDPA and GSSF with the same success.

It is best to use the weapon you are most comfortble with and shoot the best with.

As a point of reference, the 34 is dimensionally the same size as a Gorvernment size 1911, which alot of people use as EDC. I am 6'3" and have no difficulty concealing my 34, and it is a lot lighter than my govt 1911, making it a more comfortable carry.

Best of luck...

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
I loved my G34. I wish I still had it. I shoot USPSA though. If I were to do it again, I would buy a G35 and reload .40 to a much shofter load that barely meets power factor that way I could shoot major scoring instead of minor scoring.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys, I carry a sr9c. I was planning on trying out my carry gun, and find out what the strength and weakness are of that weapon. Another question, can I practice at the idpa with any gun? I have a g21 with a weapon light and a bunch of stuff they would deem not allowed in the idpa?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
You can only shot one IDPA match without being a IDPA member. So I would do that and join. Then transit to another pistol for a different classification if you like. It's all good.

Normally we won't have firearm mounted lights on the weapons.

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
Love my G34 for IDPA. I carry my G19 normally but the 34 is much more fun to shoot in comps. First match out I had great success with it and any flaws in shooting werent from draw time, but then again I am a bit taller than 5'7" too so that might attribute.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts