Glock 34 vs. Glock 17L

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by HairTrigger, May 14, 2012.

1. HairTrigger

HairTrigger New Member

I've been trying to look around to find the difference between the Glock 34 and the Glock 17L. I was hoping that you guys could give a bit more information about the differences. The only variations I have found so far that the trigger on the 34 is lighter and smoother. Also, I think the 34 has an extended slide catch/release. In addition, I believe the barrel is longer in the 17L. Thanx for all your help.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

3. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

The G34/35 were developed partly to fit in the IDPA box. So still comp guns, but just short enough to be allowed into IDPA.

4. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

It just barely fits too right? I'm looking into getting into competition shooting and want to purchase the best possible Glock I can get to do multiple events...

5. Robert

Robert New Member

You can't go wrong with the 34. I think it was designed with competition in mind.

6. HairTrigger

HairTrigger New Member

Cool. That is really what I needed to know. God bless.

7. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Here's the deal. The 34 will end up in Minor power factor scoring since it's 9mm. Meaning you have to hit ALL A's on you targets or you receive a larger penalty. The 35 will allow you to shoot in Major power factor scoring. You're not penalized as much if you don't hit A's and hit B's and C's instead.

8. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

That's a huge help since I've never shot competition before!! Any other help just let us know!!

9. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Ya its JUST fits, which means no threaded barrel with compensator lol.

10. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

Which means switching out barrels before competition... Lol

11. Robert

Robert New Member

I've still never tired a compensated barrel on a Glock. Am I missing out?

12. chuckds

chuckds Certified Glock Armorer

Robert,
    I just started using a compensator on my 17L this week. Wolf makes two versions, major and minor. I went with the minor and found that I do have less muzzle flip, but not by much. You can feel the air being pushed back at you when you fire a round. BUT, it has been trial and error to get the compensator to work. I have had to work my normal charge load up to .5 grains more of powder (Tight Group) and go with a 12 pound recoil spring to get the slide to function with this compensator. I shot 200 rounds yesterday and only had 1 stovepipe, that was the only problem. This compensator somehow takes a lot of energy out of the equation. If anyone knows why I would be interested in learning how the compensator works.

image-1218979189.jpg

13. Robert

Robert New Member

Wow, nice 17L. I've seen a few guys use those in the IDPA competitions.

14. Robert

Robert New Member

To be honest my G19 gen 4 is the gun I do best with. Probably because I shoot it all the time.

This is my average target grouping with the 19. Unloading all 15 rounds.

.facebook_-181759204.jpg

15. d30gaijin

d30gaijin New Member

At what distance? That would be a great group at 25 yards, not so much at 7.

Yea, a bit late to the party here. Just reviewing some G17L posts that still pop up while trying to dig up some G17L info.:)