Glock 29 great for carry or over kill?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by glockster86, Jun 30, 2012.

1. glockster86

glockster86 New Member

Hey guys, I have a glock 29 and I usually carry my G23 but lately I've had the urge to carry something with a little more fire power than the .40 so recently I've been pack'n the 10mm. So what are your views on carry 10mm for EDC is it over kill or is it a great option for self defense?

2. 10mil

10mil Is That a .40....nope its a 10MM!

GA
    I personally love my 20. Carry it every where i can but i find my 27 easier to carry just about everywhere but i would rather if the 10mm power. But i would say the main thing is how good are you with it as long as you fire it every range trip and know you can handle it in a stressed situation I don't see why u shouldn't.

3. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

My next Glock will be a 10mm, and it will be my EDC (except when on duty). I'm sure you've heard of the large amount of penetration the 10 has. Just pick you're ammo wisely and watch your background.

4. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Great option for self defense -- with the right ammo. Carry it! :D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  5. 10mil

GA
    I like hydros personally

6. The 29 is the twin of my 30 and I think my 30 is a pretty great carry gun. With the 29 you have even more versatility since you can use loads from mild to wild in it. Of course for carry I'd stick with something that offers ballistics that equal or are just a bit better then the FBI 10mm load(i.e. [email protected]) which is about the same level of power as your 40cal. but you've always got the option of going with full power loads if the need comes up.
    I think all of the Compact and Sub-Compact Glocks are great carry options that offer a lot of variety, you can go really small and light recoil with the G26, or if you can handle the snap of the 40cal you can move up to the G27, there's the G29 and G30 that offer full bore calibers while still being small enough for CCW and if you don't mind a slightly larger gun for carry the Compacts in the G19 and G23 work out well.
    I'd just say pick the one you shoot well and the one that you're comfortable with. Nothing wrong with the G29 at all.

7. butcherboy

butcherboy New Member

My everyday carry gun is a glock 26 loaded with hornady critical duty and feel its got just enough firepower to stop any situation and I shoot it really well. I think carry whatever you are most comfortable with and what you can shoot the best.

8. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to self-defense.

9. 10mil

GA
    Yeah but i think of it like this in an parking lot getting robbed i wouldn't care if i over penetrate but in my house i want them to stop....

10. laober

laober Member

The 20/29 combo is next on my list, just have to wait a couple more months. The 10mm is a great round and is not overkill if you are trying to protect yourself.
    My buddy lives in Detroit an carries a 29sf daily, as he put it, he needs something that will stop a 300 pound threat in a thick winter coat....

11. 10mil

GA
    Yeah if they ever make a 4 gen 29 it will be at top of list for sure

12. Exactly. Granted, down here where it is freaking 95 degrees already at 0710 we don't have to worry about thick winter coats hahaha. Is it overkill, heck no...I would carry my issued 12 gauge with slugs if I could. Will you need to invest time in finding the right ammo for the situations you will use the weapon in, of course. Shoot it straight, carry it always. That's what is important.

13. nfmus209

nfmus209 New Member

The idea is to stop the threat not make them mad that you hit them with a wet noodle. 10mm is a great round, and with the right ammo choice can be a great carry weapon, heck they say that the 10mm can take down small white tail deer.

14. laober

laober Member

On the glock sight the 20 is listed as a hunting pistol.

15. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

I like the 10mm but worry about over penetration... Ammo opinions for SD carry?

16. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

MagSafe ammo. Over 2000 ft per second, but only about 7" of penetration. It's fragmentation ammo. Also, a Buffalo Bore Barnes Lead Free 135 grain in an awesome self defense load, too

17. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

Np man. It's great stuff.

18. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Something that penetrates at least twelve inches; seven inches isn't enough based on the information in this ARTICLE.

But I imagine a 10mm Magsafe will do some serious damage in those seven inches.
    Another forum I frequent suggested this: "look for a 180 grain JHP going about 1100 fps".

19. 10mil

GA
    Another forum I frequent suggested this: "look for a 180 grain JHP going about 1100 fps".[/QUOTE]

I didn't really like jhp 180grain tired on hogs thou it killed fine it "mushroom" changed from big to small to much in a 25rds box. Not sure if it was a bad box are not switch to hydros no problem on test hopefully will never find out irl