Featured Glock 29 Gel Tests

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Overkill338, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Overkill338

Overkill338 The Underwood Advocate Supporter

There are no gel tests to be found on a G29. So I got to thinking, if you check tests for a G22 for the same bullet you can get an idea. The 29 will push it a little faster, so you can expect penetration to be slightly less and expansion to be better. Anyway, just an idea. I know it's far from exact science, but it will get you into the ball park.

DAVEF likes this.
  2. GlockHowdy

GlockHowdy New Member

Maybe that would be found on 10mm-firearms.com. They do a lot of testing over there.

3. Overkill338

I'm a member there, plus I'm not looking for any. I'm just telling others how they can get an "estimate" for their 29's.

I do appreciate the suggestion.

4. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

Don't depend on GEL TESTS as a fix it all. Cops have shot suspects with five or six rounds of .45 ACP ammo that tested well, and cops have been killed by suspects with Raven .380 bullets that couldn't pass a toilet paper penetration test! It is good to have the BEST, but more importantly is to be the BEST! Gear tests notwithstanding!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Overkill338 likes this.
  5. Overkill338

Good point sir. I look to the Jello molds as a way to get you going in the right direction on ammo choices.

6. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

I wonder how Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, Hickok and other lawmen made it without your jello molds. The search for the perfect bullet may have been transposed with the perfect gun fighters who depended on themselves and others purported testing methods that are done in perfect lab tests by the FBI, who changes bullets and guns as often as my Aunt shopping on QVC! They provide a base to start from, not to live by without other skill sets to go along with them. Everyone knew how to stop Ali, just stop his jab, but not many with all the science behind them ever did well executing that science, EXECUTING THAT SCIENCE! Here on forums folks quote, copy and write about facts everyone knows about, and talks like tested gear will make up for skill, well, think again. No matter how good a bullet is, or a gun is, the gun fighter wins, not the gear, Period. You mistake my making the point of the individual winning first as a rebuke of science, an example of failing to see or understand that science only goes so far, then the person under attack has to apply that science on the street with a REAL, not gel, moving and skillful fighter who may or may not know the science or care about it, his only interest is killing you, and some are very good at, with questionable gear at best. Do what you like, enjoy your magic wand, but do not disrespect the enemy in your face who does not read Guns and Ammo or watch Youtube videos.

I hope all goes well, and by the way if you have seen any of my fun shooting on video I use science to my best ability and have done so for longer than some of the science has been readily available. Speed and accuracy makes the science work on the STREET, making it work in the lab is easy. The best plans only work until they get hit, then all the plans and science goes out the window, but I am sure you are aware of that, good luck and have a fun weekend.

7. Overkill338

Geez Bill, I think you misunderstood. I meant I just use those tests to find out which bullets seem to work and which ones are completely ****. I've carried Gold Dots for years, because they seem to be popular with LE for some reason. Plus I've done my own testing their opening and penetrating ability with different mediums from water, to wet pack, to even deer carcass.

I take every advantage I can to verify that my ammo will work. I also have no delusion that because it works 99% of the time for Leo's that it will work for me. There is that chance, that you could make a great shot and hit, but the bullet sail straight through, FMJ style. I by no means sir, mistake experimentation for shooting ability. Again, I will say, I use tests as a guideline to point you towards what ISN'T complete rubbish.

8. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

Not getting why fMJ aren’t considered lethal. I read you need approximately 7” of depth to hit vitals yet according to gel tests the bulk of the energy dump occurs 2” in and mostly exhausted prior to 7”. Then there’s the info that at pistol speeds temporary wounding is mostly ineffective except for a few organs. So few it can not be depended on. The only variable that is dependable is a projectiles dimensions which crush what it hits.

All I look at in gel tests is the depth a bullet gets. If a HP expands to 3/4-1” then the farther it goes the more it crushes to that extent.

Where avoiding FMJ makes sense is that HP and others designed to dump energy stop at some point. Something that may help should bodies be close together yet not one occurrence of another being injured on a pass through during a civilian defending oneself I can find.

At a minimum. Being armed with HP will keep an overly zealous anti gun prosecutor from possibly using ammo choice as a negative. Unless you live in Jersey or other jurisdictions where FMJ is the only option. They find something else to play with.

Regardless. Gel isn’t human but does present a tool to compare and that I’ve come to understand. For the rest I’m just following the flow while I try and make sense of all the info which often contradicts what was just read.

9. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

FMJ bullets has killed millions of folks in war and in homes and on the streets of America and elsewhere. FMJ ammo has stopped charging elephants, lions, Rhino and Cape Buffalo since they became available. I have personally seen the results on the streets and in the long grass of Africa. Some of what you read is others regurgitating what they read of another person, who was doing the same from another person and on and on. You read how to do a heart transplant but you are doing mine if ever needed! IF, you get my drift???

Do not let someone shoot you with one of these Non-lethal bullets ... Geeez ... don't let the haughty self-appointed aristocrats of the internet mislead you! Do your own testing or listen to a known person who has personal experience and not talking of things they have never seen, much less touched! Any bullet is lethal, even an air gun! Hunters know better as they see actual bullet performance and see the tissue damage they do. Solids or FMJ bullets do not just punch a hole in living tissue, they are high velocity chunks of metal that explodes bone like a frag grenade, they expand and destroy tissue as they pass through the body or you, or an elephant causing terminal damage to organs like the heart and lungs. This worries me the distorted view that is given out on the internet giving ammo to the anti-gunners who probably add such nonsense to the list of FAKE INFORMATION, which your read, juries read, and talking suit attorneys who work shooting cases read, and they sue you without a minuscule level of knowledge and/or personal experience! These are the folks who put the innocent in prison.

GARRIGA likes this.
  10. DAVEF

DAVEF Well-Known Member

Testing in properly calibrated 10% organic gel is highly correlated to how pistol bullets performs in an actual shooting (of a person). It doesn't mean that because a bullet performs perfectly that the fight instantly stops. Too many other variables. But, as an example if a bullet repeatedly expands to .6" and penetrates to 13" in properly calibrated 10% organic gel, it will do the same in an actual shooting. There are studies that have shown that. There have been no studies that have show a correlation between synthetic gels like Clear Gel and actual results.

Overkill338, have you seen similar results with Gold Dots in deer as shown in proper gel testing such as on ATK'S LE website http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/? I would imagine you have.

Overkill338 likes this.
  11. Overkill338

Yes Dave, they have opened up no matter what we have shot them into. The first Gold Dots I ever tested were 180gr 40's that were cop left overs when they changed to 357 SIG. Some of the bullets had even corroded. My cousin and I had a 22,23,and 27 and we tested them from all three. The expansion was very close for all of them, in everything we shot them into. The only thing that altered their performance was hitting bones (obviously) in the deer.

12. Overkill338

Here is a great example. This is Hornady's testing of the Critical Duty. On the left side is the 10mm from a 5" barrel, on the right is the .40 from a 4.5" barrel. The velocity of the .40 is almost identical to what a G29 chrono with the Critical Duty load. Therefore, the gel results from the 40 are what should be expected from a Glock 29 using the 175gr FlexLock bullet.

Screenshot_2017-10-29-17-15-49-1.png