Glock 27

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dganz1127, Sep 29, 2020.

1. dganz1127

dganz1127 New Member

I currently have G19 Gen 5, and an M&P shield 9mm. I want to get a 40 cal and was thinking of the G27, anyone have any advice? I hear it’s a bit snappy, want to know if anyone has had any experience with it that they don’t mind sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Lucian_253 likes this.
  2. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

IMG_1601427219.163243.jpg

I first bought the 27 gen.3. I hated it in 40 S&W. I almost immediately put an oem .357 sig barrel in it. From that moment on it became my edc pistol. I like the 27 with the 33 barrel so much it is the only Glock I have bought in a newer generation in a Glock that I already owned. When I bought my gen.4 27 ( because I couldn’t find a g33 g.4) I put my same oem 33 barrel in my gen.4 27 and carry it 99% of the time. At the time of the pic attached it has Trijicon HD night sights, lasermax guide rod laser, oem + base plate, & recently put an alpha wolf 33 .357 sig barrel in it. So back to the 27 in 40 S&W. My perceived recoil was that the pistol snapped upward enough that I had trouble getting follow up shots on target. The reason I added all the .357 sig commentary is because if you buy a 27, & a 33 barrel. You now have 2 calibers in one pistol that use the same magazines. A lot of people even buy 9mm conversion barrels & 26 magazines for their 27’s. So it could possibly be a 3 caliber in one gun. I personally would recommend the G27 on its versatility alone.

3. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I have a 33, .357Sig. I call it the pocket rocket. Stout recoil! I usually carry in winter for additional penetration as compared to my 43. A6622DAC-1ADD-4B49-AD0F-23F14A98B984.jpeg
    TLR-6 light/laser combo, TYR trigger (thought it would help prevent nerve damage in my trigger finger...it didn’t!:eek:),Pearce PG39 +3 extension.

dganz1127, neal4664 and Lucian_253 like this.
  4. glockin9

glockin9 Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome aboard.

dganz1127 likes this.
  5. Rangerman

Rangerman New Member

I bought a Gen 4 Glock 27 a while back. It was in pristine condition for a good price with 4 magazines. I wanted a 40 as it seemed that ammo was available for decent prices in 40. The first time I shot it I was surprised at how manageable the recoil was. I had heard all the talk about how snappy 40 is so I was expecting an uncomfortable experience but it wasn't bad at all. It was more than 9mm but not bad at all. I have pretty large hands and recoil doesn't really bother me that much but the 27 handles it pretty well. I have now worked up a reload recipe that is just a little off of full power with 180 grain bullets that is very comfortable to shoot an quite accurate. I am glad I bought the pistol and I like it a lot. I would be very happy if it was all that I had to carry.

dganz1127, Lucian_253, mattm and 2 others like this.
  6. I’ve had one for nearly 20 years now. It became my EDC in retirement. Still one of my favorite Glocks.

Lucian_253 and mattm like this.
  7. undertaker

undertaker New Member

That’s what I was told also. So I tried it and wow love at first pull. Not at all what I was expecting. I have a gen 4 g27 glock night sights, glock store pyramid trigger, with 3.5 lb pull. I have pearce pinky extensions and talon grips. Extended mag release and extended slide release. She’s my little bulldog. I carry everyday. I have a g23 my first gun but alittle to big to carry every day. Best gun ever. You pull the trigger and you know you have a gun in your hand. I also can shoot it one handed pretty well so it’s very manageable I don’t have large hands and have no problem at all. I would not think twice about getting one it’s the only caliber I will count on. The 40 cal bullet as you know is a 10mm just cut down. I can go on and on but I think you get it that I love it . I have a g43 g42 g26 all awesome for different situations when size is an issue but the bulldog never leaves my side or the shoulder holster.

dganz1127 likes this.
  8. Richard Davis

Richard Davis Well-Known Member

Had a G33 gen4 (.357 Sig) and bought a G27 barrel that I'd swap in to shoot .40 caliber. Usually for ebc I'd carry .357 and swap barrels for range practice and shoot the less expensive .40. The .357 has better ballistics. Also my father has a G27 which I'd shoot on occasion. Couldn't tell a significant difference between the recoil of the .40 and the .357. The perception was a little different, but either one didn't prove to be more potent (for me anyway).

The .40 is a little snappy compared to 9mm etc., but I didn't find it unmanageable. Just like pretty much every pistol caliber, one can get used to/good with it with consistent practice. I'm not likely to buy a Derringer in .40 Smith & Wesson, but a G27 - you should be fine.

9. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

In reality, it depends on your hand strength, grip, shooting frame, and shooting style.

Since the stock of a G27 is a bit shorter than a G19, the G27 is slightly harder to grip well.

That said, IF your grip and shooting frame are 'firm' (required for controlled and accurate 'rapid fire'), you may find the G27 'not so snappy'.

However, if your grip and shooting frame are 'soft' (typical for target shooting), you may find the G27 'quite snappy'.

So...

Will the G27 be 'snappy'? o_O

That's up to you. ;) :D

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Danzig likes this.
  10. Lucian_253

I used to have a 10mm derringer, lol!

Richard Davis likes this.
  11. Richard Davis

Richard Davis Well-Known Member

Wow, talk about a hand-cannon! Was it a Bond Arms? I had two Taurus 605 revolvers (.357 magnum, polymer frame, 2 inch barrel), thought those hand-cannons...but a 10mm Derringer, holy cow.

12. Lucian_253

Yes, Bond Arms C2K. I had the 410/.45 lc, .38/.357 mag, & 10mm barrels.

Richard Davis likes this.
  13. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

Is it the fact that it is smaller than your G19 or that it is a 40 caliber ?

If size is the issue, why not buy a Glock 26 or one of the other 9mm Glocks ? Generally 40 cal ammo is more expensive than 9mm, and now you will have to stock 2 different ammo sizes. Also, you can use holsters from your G19 with the Glock 26. G27 might also fit the G19 holsters, I'm not sure.

14. Lucian_253

The current 9mm, .40 S&W, & .357 sig models all use the same holsters with in reason. I often carry my 27 in a holster that says it’s for a G19.

rbbeers likes this.
  15. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

I thought it probably would but I was not sure, since the G26 fits.

So, in my mind it just comes down to ammo cost and availability, and having to keep a stock of each one. My son-in-law has a 9mm Glock and a 40 caliber Glock and basically he only shoots the 9mm just because of ammo. His has a G22 so it's not even an issue with the kick. He just never shoots the 40 cal much at all. He keeps it in his car and probably only has a couple of hundred rounds of ammo for it.

So, the OP just needs to decide why he feels he wants a 40 cal since he already has 2 nice guns in 9mm.

Personally, if I wanted something different than the 9's I would most likely buy a .45.

16. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Well-Known Member

Well, the deed is probably done by now, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have a 26, and hate the thing. It doesn't fit my hand, doesn't carry well for me, is more uncontrollable than I care for and I can't sell it, because no one wants it. With a G19 mag and sleeve it is a "G19" with a short barrel. It is fine in that configuration, but I wouldn't want a 27 in stock form.
    I carry, shoot, and have put 70K rounds through a 23, and about that many through a G22, over the years, so I'm familiar with .40. I like the round.
    Happy Shopping

17. Lucian_253

Glock 29 gen.4 10mm, & don’t look back!!

rbbeers likes this.
  18. Lucian_253

IMG_1602276202.502865.jpg

rbbeers likes this.
  19. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  20. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Well-Known Member

Some folks think it frugal to shoot 40 out of a 10MM, I don't have much of an opinion on that one, however,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    10MM is too large to switch out with 40. The mags will be too small unless you use a 10MM magazine, then you take your chances.
    I don't see it as a good practice. No,,,,,,I don't care if you "never had a problem".
    40 S&W to 357 Sig is good for magazine interchanging.
    45 ACP to 400 Corbon is a good change as well. I really thought the 400 Corbon would take hold better than it did. It still had the 45 magazine restrictions for capacity though.