Glock 23

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by savage, Jun 10, 2012.

1. savage

savage New Member

I just turned 21 and am now the Proud owner of a 3rd gen Glock 23 .40 with night Sights.
    This is my first pistol and I am looking for any advice or upgrade recomondations. I've heard of a .40 to 9mm conversion? This would be cheap practice.
    Thanks

2. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum savage! Congrats on that new G23. There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here. I'll move this to the Introduction subforum so everyone can drop by and say hello. I hope you enjoy the forum.

3. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Hey Savage! Welcome to the forum!

4. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

Congrats on the 23. It was my first glock as well. The only thing I would change is the sights and put a grip on it if you do t like the stock grip. I have the tru glo TFO's on mine. Here is what it looks like now. Once again congrats and welcome

Attached Files:

5. Hollen

Hollen New Member

Welcome to the forum!! I also bought the g23 gen 3 as my first pistol. I'd suggest polishing the barrel.

image-2534148442.jpg

image-2506961759.jpg

6. Ranger45

Ranger45 Senior Member

Congrats on the 23, and welcome to the forum!

7. savage

savage New Member

Thanks everyone for the hospitality.
    How did you polish out the barrel?
    @Hollan
    Is there a way to convert from a .40 to a 9mm?
    for cheap practice
    My buddy keeps telling me there is.

8. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Get a conversion barrel from lone wolf.
    You can buy them polished, If you want to polish the factory barrel, you can send it to Nukinfuts29 or use mothers polish, a rag, and 6 hours of elbow grease...

9. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

The best thing you can do right now is, shoot it! No upgrades necessary. save your money and buy ammo. Learn to operate the gun and get familar with what you like and dislike about the cal. and gun. I would strongly suggest you shoot about a thousand rounds, one hundred at a time per range time. Learn to clean and oil it as per the OME manual.

If you want you can buy a aftermarket barrel and a couple of magazines for the 9mm. The ejector should be replaced for the 9mm too but you might be OK there. Why did you purchase the 40 cal if you wanted to have the smaller ammo? It just seems strange to me so many people buy a GLOCK and then want to change things when most often, it is the first gun they have ever owned.

Tricking a gun out usually reduces it's resale value and in many cases never improves the ability of the gun.

10. savage

savage New Member

@G23; I agree, I havent put near the rounds through it to be able to determine what I do, and don't like about it... Honestly I can't think of anything I would want to change besides maybe adding some grip. I was just requesting advice from ppl that have owned one and may have experienced some benefit from adding/changing anything on it. Like I had mentioned this is my first pistol ever lol.
    I'm all ears!!!

11. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum!

Sound advice. You can never go wrong with correct practice.

True, BUT Tricking out a gun is a matter of personal preference and "making something your own". It may hurt trade in value, but it May or may not affect a private sale. It's like adding stuff to a motorcycle or a car, the dealer isn't going to give you any extra b/e you have a super exhaust or nice wheels when you trade it in. But some people like to tinker. If it helps you learn your weapon better, so be it.

As far as I have experienced (this is by no means an "Absolute" statement), People get conversion kits to shoot other calibers mainly for the savings in the cost of ammo. Unless you're going from .40 to .357 SIG. Then it's to save on not having to buy another gun. I say, to each his own. You can have multiple caliber for the price of a barrel and some mags. Pretty good to me.

As with all things, YMMV.

D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  12. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I would send the gun to my shop and have me do the Argyle Armoring Comp 2 Setup to your new 23. It'll give you a much smoother and lighter trigger for greater accuracy and follow up shots.

13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum !!

14. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Welcome to the Glock Forum!
    Stick around, you will like it here!

15. jtk07

jtk07 New Member

Also My first gun :) and love it - i changed out the sights for meps and really like them :) all i can recommend is shoot it until there is something u wish was different! I personally love mine as is now :)

16. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I bought a Glock 23 for my very first pistol as well. I added a Hogue grip, Tru Glo TFO night sights, and a 3.5 lb connector (not the spring kit or anything else. It dropped trigger pull down to about 4.5 lbs). The order I would recommend getting those in is night sights first, grips second, and then the trigger connector later unless you like the trigger pull the way it is.

17. gunsmithie23

gunsmithie23 New Member

Welcome to the forum it's really an awesome knowledgable place. Congrats on the G23 as well it was my first glock also

18. gen4_G21

gen4_G21 New Member

+1 fully agree

19. gen4_G21

gen4_G21 New Member

Glad to hear your first handgun is a Glock! My first handgun was a glock. I've never owned the .40 but have had (and have) the .45 also the 9mm. I currently own the G21 Gen 4.. The only thing ive done to it was add Trijicon night sights. I love them! I may put a extended slide release, and I may not. It is my EDC so I don't really feel the need to change too much. I just bought my wife a G19 Gen 4 and we haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet. Saturday we are putting about 150 rounds through it and I'm more than confident it will run like a champ!

How much have you shot your new gun or have you had the chance?

20. G23kodiak

G23kodiak New Member

I also purchased a G23 for my first handgun. I have shot many calibers previously and the 40 cal was my favorite. I have put about 300 rounds through it so far and can't think of much I would change other than the addition of night sights. It has been everything I was looking for in a handgun.