Glock 23 frame issues

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by cowslyaer, Feb 12, 2012.

1. cowslyaer

cowslyaer New Member

I have a gen 3 g23 od and it has about 900 rounds through it and the reciever where the guide rod is is being damaged when the gun is fired the slide hits the frame and is making crackes and raised places are rubbing the guide rod. ive sent it to glock once already and they told me it was fine and they replaced the guide rod with a heavier one but it is still giving me trouble. can some one help me please i will be uploading pictures later.

ps it has only ever had factory loads through it winchester white box, federal bulk, and some umc bulk. plus one box of speer gold dots for functuality in ccw.

2. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Glock, the manufacturer or Glock, the guy who sold it to you? Did you do any upgrades prior to the problem?

3. Kmurray96

I believe I heard of an issue one time where someone changed to nite-sights and the front sight was made for a different model Glock and that caused a problem. I don't remember the particulars of the problem, so if someone else could chime in...

4. cowslyaer

cowslyaer New Member

the Glock manufacturer. it just makes me edgy it being my EDC. the only thing ive added is a factory extended slide latch from glockstore.com after i got it back and it has the original sights.

5. Kmurray96

Sorry, bud. Sounds like your problem is above my payscale. Try getting a picture posted of the problem area. I'm quite sure someone here will have an answer.

6. cowslyaer

cowslyaer New Member

got 4 pics of it

Attached Files:

7. cowslyaer

cowslyaer New Member

these are the best two

Attached Files:

8. BORIS

BORIS New Member

Ummmm

Yeah

Stop shooting the gun immediately, IF you don't want this to get even more normal.

The pictures you just posed look new compared to that same spot on my G37 that is on its fifth recoil spring assembly.

This is normal and will not hurt the gun at all. I don't see any cracks but if you see metal that's also normal. It's just the metal that's in that spot on every glock.

9. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

It's normal. That part of the frame stops the slide's movement, and the plastic will wear down until the slide begins to impact only the two little pieces of metal underneath.

10. cowslyaer

cowslyaer New Member

Thanks for not being sarcastic like others its my first Glock I'd rather be safe than sorry

11. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

:mad:
    :mad:

When the plastic breaks off a new receiver will be in order. You need a new recoil spring for this gun.

12. Kmurray96

Maybe a buffer would help. I thought about getting one myself. Has anyone here used one?

13. cowslyaer

cowslyaer New Member

you think one of the heavier springs from glock store would work?

14. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

A new recoil spring wouldn't hurt, I'd suggest a new factory assembly. Since the frame is a Gen3 .40 frame, it has the metal extensions to stop frame battering.

Earlier frames had nothing but plastic in those spots, which could break off and make replacing the frame a necessity.

[​IMG]

Later frames have a metal extension of the front frame rail insert on either side to stop frame battering. Most of the earliest Gen2 .357SIG frames had these extensions. Gen2 .40 frames received them some time in 1998, this is the reason you're not supposed to put a .357SIG barrel into a Gen2 .40, not all Gen2 .40 frames had these extensions. I'm not sure when 9mm frames first received them, but I believe it was in Gen3 at the same time that 9mm frames received the locking block pin.

If the frame has these extensions, the plastic will wear down to a certain point then stop. The metal extensions will prevent any further wear to the frame, and as long as those extensions remain intact the frame does not need to be replaced. There have been a few rare reports of these metal extensions cracking in .357SIG frames after tens of thousands of rounds, making it necessary to replace the frame.

Image by Butch:
    [​IMG]

In sub-compact and Gen4 frames, the metal extensions were beefed up further to include the entire surface that the slide impacts in the frame.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  15. cowslyaer

cowslyaer New Member

Thanks voyager the information you shared puts my mind at ease

16. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Just a new OME spring.

17. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

No never had. I just replace the RS when it fails or if I start seeing wear on the frame.

I had to replace a frame once because of this situation.