Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a fairly new gun owner and am experiencing my first malfunctions. First, off I have a used Glock 23 gen 3. It was firing great until I both made some mods and bought some reloaded "target quality" ammo. I put in a ZEV Technologies competition spring kit, a LANTAC SSR 3.5 lb connector, and a Glockstore tungsten guide rod. Initially, I had to revert back to the stock firing pin spring due to the firing pin not setting completely. After that, with the exception of learning how to be more careful with a light trigger, it was shooting fine. Then I bought this ammo cause the price was right. At first, I was only having 0-2 FTF per 200 rounds. The FTF's looked to have a light strike sometimes off to the side. Not really all that bad. I tried to test the limits of my gun and didn't clean it for 3-4 range visits. It performed the same and I ended up cleaning it. Then I didn't clean it one more time and went to the range. Well, let me tell you, the crap hit the fan. I had 6 FTFs in 91 rounds. Also 4 times the trigger pulled, and the striker released, but the bullet did not fire and there was no mark on the primer. I'm guessing it's going out of battery as the firing pin test worked. Could be a combination with crappy ammo too. I had left my ammo in the truck so it was cold, not sure if that would affect it. Well like I said I am new so any advice would be great. I gave my gun a good cleaning, including the firing pin channel which was pretty dirty. I'm itching to get back to the range to test it out.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
39,429 Posts
I really doubt it’s an ammo issue.
You said you’re having light or no primer hits so it’s most probably one of the mods.
I keep my internals stock but have changed to a CMC and Tyr Tactical trigger on a couple. They use factory parts with a metal trigger shoe and safety.
I have heard all kinds of issues with aftermarket guide rod assemblies so I’d start there and go back to stock piece by piece to see which part is the culprit.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
I’d hugely suspect the reloaded ammo you bought. Running a box or two of cheap factory fmj would be my first recommendation.

Also, I’d suggest losing the tungsten guide rod and going back to factory recoil spring assembly.

·
Premium Member
13,407 Posts
I’d hugely suspect the reloaded ammo you bought. Running a box or two of cheap factory fmj would be my first recommendation.

Also, I’d suggest losing the tungsten guide rod and going back to factory recoil spring assembly.
Non factory ammo can often be the issue!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dont get why so many people mod these guns.They are one of the most reliable guns right out of the box.My 19 is over 20 yrs old,all stock,and never had any failure to feed,fire or eject,ever.You made 3 mods with non Glock parts.You said the gun "was firing great" before the mods.I think you answered your own question.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I dont get why so many people mod these guns.They are one of the most reliable guns right out of the box.My 19 is over 20 yrs old,all stock,and never had any failure to feed,fire or eject,ever.You made 3 mods with non Glock parts.You said the gun "was firing great" before the mods.I think you answered your own question.
in my opinion, that's a pretty good darn answer,that would be hard to argue.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
yep, it doesn't look like an ammo issue.
Just restore stock setup and add one mod at a time (or leave it stock and enjoy the shooting :rolleyes: )

·
Glockin’ since 1993
39,429 Posts
Cause we’re Americans. Always gotta F with stuff.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
He should change the thread’s title. The G23 did not fail, he made it fail.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Switch back to stock and attempt to fire the previously failed rounds. While it is likely that your mix of mods is the culprit another contributing factory could be the primers used in your reloads. Some primers are harder than others. Some of the cheap Chinese/Russian stuff is absolute garbage. Never buy reloads from an unknown source. Gun show reloads are the worst.

Go back to stock and burn through whatever reloads you have remaining. Buy some decent factory range ammo. Then reinstall one mod at a time and hit the range. You will likely be able to identify your issue as you add the mods back with testing.

I run the Zev competition springs in my G34. I also run the Zev extended striker. I use exclusively Federal primers which are the softest available. That combination has been flawless for me over more than 100k rounds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm starting to suspect it is the heavy tungsten recoil spring that is getting out of whack due to the recoil. I'm gonna try again with a stock spring.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Restore it to stock, and properly clean your firing pin channel. Oil it like Glock says to, not how you may think is proper. Glocks take surpisingly little oil and none in the firing pin channel.
Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
13,407 Posts
I'm starting to suspect it is the heavy tungsten recoil spring that is getting out of whack due to the recoil. I'm gonna try again with a stock spring.
I went through the tungsten/ stainless RSA phase. All but one either failed or caused malfunctions.

·
Premium Member
13,407 Posts
I don’t want to be to hard on the op here. I remember getting excited about glocks in the beginning and modding them until unreliable. Some of us learn the hard way.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
I don’t want to be to hard on the op here. I remember getting excited about glocks in the beginning and modding them until unreliable. Some of us learn the hard way.
Same here; it was with 1911's, but same lesson learned the hard (and expensive) way.

Reactions: Danzig

·
Very Cool Member
3,376 Posts
All of my Glock's are stock except for maybe the added extended slide stop lever. That's just my opinion.

·
Proponet of High Velocity
910 Posts
I went through the tungsten/ stainless RSA phase. All but one either failed or caused malfunctions.
I had a SS rod in my 29, and have one in my 32. Both for the purpose of 20 lb springs. Mine have been flawless. With Underwood's ammo, it made both function better and stop slinging the brass to Texas lol

I don't mess with the firing pin springs. Other than again, the 29. I put an increased power firing pin spring in it.

Reactions: LElliott

·
Premium Member
13,407 Posts
I had a SS rod in my 29, and have one in my 32. Both for the purpose of 20 lb springs. Mine have been flawless. With Underwood's ammo, it made both function better and stop slinging the brass to Texas lol

I don't mess with the firing pin springs. Other than again, the 29. I put an increased power firing pin spring in it.
All the ones that failed came from one Glock website in all fairness. I had one in my 30sf for a while that ran fine. It came from a different source.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts