Glock Firearms banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have small hands and my thumbs don't seem to reach the mag release without changing grip position. I have heard of reducing the the backstrap, but I don't really like the idea of cutting into the pistol to do this. I have heard also of people reversing the mag release to lefty mode (I am a righty) and using index or middle finger to press it. Any thoughts?

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
I've always rolled my grip just a bit to thumb the mag release, mostly because the 1911 mag releases I've had were really stiff, and took quite a bit of pressure. So I tend to roll my grip on my G21 out of habit. I don't think it really slows down the reload much, if at all. My XDM has a dual side mag release, and I do practice dropping it with my right index finger. Feels a bit different at first doing it that way, but it is pretty quick. I just haven't practiced it enough to do it without having to think about it. You could switch out the Glock to the right side, but it might take some getting used to. Don't want your thumb looking for a button that isn't there any more.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I have small hands as well. They've been described as "a hamburger patty with vienna sausages attached." I've always had to roll my grip or use my off hand to release the mag.

I'm with you, I hesitate to have someone/anyone fill in and "Reduce" the grip. It's permanent, and makes resale of the pistol pretty much impossible.

I may try switching the mag release to the other side and see how that feels, as well.

Definitely practice with it until it becomes second nature. As "the Wrecker" stated, "Don't want your thumb looking for a button that isn't there anymore."

D

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Move your mag release to the other side of the frame and use your index or middle finger. Much safer and that's how I have always had to do it since I'm a lefty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts