Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't decide. I live in Kentucky and i like to hunt/ fish/ camp. Pretty much I'm a hill billy lol. Well I want a full size glock for OC in the woods and to double as a HD gun. So do I go with the 45 that I can buy at any Walmart or gun shop I go into or do I get the all mighty 10mm?

Just wondering what you guys think
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
I prefer the 10mm with the large frame Glocks. But I am aso a big fan of the 45acp in general. So, it is a tough choice but I would go with the 10.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
While the 10mm is a great round it's kind of gone the way of the 41Mag, i.e. a few very loyal followers but not as popular as it really should be. IMHO the 45acp will do everything you want for a Woods Gun and you can even run +P if you feel you need a little extra "umph", plus it's a "WalMart Caliber" in that you can find ammo at just about any WalMart or other sporting goods store in your area, can't always say that about the 10mm.
Also, if you want to invest in a new recoil spring and some new 45 Super brass you can handload 45 Super ammo that'll put the G21 pretty much neck and neck with the 10mm. My vote, G21, 45acp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,374 Posts
I forgot!
You can convert a 45acp to 10mm with just a barrel change. Right?
Or is it the other way around?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
I would get a 31 or a 20! Get hot ammo and have a lot of power!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
I do not have a 20 but can attest to the love for the 21!! I use mine more than any gun I have and you can always find Ammo for them!! Not cheap like 9 but not terrible either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
I carry a 21 on duty every day, so I'm very familiar with it. I've been tossing the same question around myself. I love the 10, but ammo is hard to come by in the north woods of Michigan. 45 is easy to find and there are other conversions besides 45 Super that'll put the 21 right with the 20. Decisions, decisions..... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
ash1012 said:
Can't decide. I live in Kentucky and i like to hunt/ fish/ camp. Pretty much I'm a hill billy lol. Well I want a full size glock for OC in the woods and to double as a HD gun. So do I go with the 45 that I can buy at any Walmart or gun shop I go into or do I get the all mighty 10mm?

Just wondering what you guys think
10 mill forever.it will always get my vote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
If you are the outdoor woods guy you say you are I would not trust a 45 to try to take down a bear I don't care what what ammo you use + p's or not. I do trust my life with a 45 to take down any two legged beast there is that is why i own both g30 for ccw and my g20 for home defense and open carry and I only run 200 grain buffalo bore rounds why have a 10 mill and not shoot 10 mill full loads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
There are a few pawn shops here in town that carry 10 mill rounds 180 gain more practice rounds than anything. I order my rounds on line the more you buy the cheaper they are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
elonsmk1 said:
There are a few pawn shops here in town that carry 10 mill rounds 180 gain more practice rounds than anything. I order my rounds on line the more you buy the cheaper they are.
I shoot a lot of 40 cal and am set up to reload. Can I use the same dies to reload 10mm as I do 40 cal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
j102 said:
I forgot!
You can convert a 45acp to 10mm with just a barrel change. Right?
Or is it the other way around?
Can some one confirm this?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
289 Posts
ash1012 said:
Can some one confirm this?
2 thoughts:
1-I am not certain about this but I believe the 40 cal and 10mm are the interchangeable ones...their casing diameters are the same size.
2-I would suggest you consider the animals you will likely encounter in the woods where you live. A 45 ACP is very capable for most animals (mountain lions, small to average sized black bears, wolfs, coyotes, etc.). If it is large black bears or brown bears that you are concerned with then I would suggest the 10mm, however, a 30-30 would be much smarter light weight trail gun if you have a chance to actually run into a large bear.
Just my thoughts,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
havik72 said:
2 thoughts:
1-I am not certain about this but I believe the 40 cal and 10mm are the interchangeable ones...their casing diameters are the same size.
2-I would suggest you consider the animals you will likely encounter in the woods where you live. A 45 ACP is very capable for most animals (mountain lions, small to average sized black bears, wolfs, coyotes, etc.). If it is large black bears or brown bears that you are concerned with then I would suggest the 10mm, however, a 30-30 would be much smarter light weight trail gun if you have a chance to actually run into a large bear.
Just my thoughts,
I think the 45 would would work for the area I hunt and camp at. But I am interested in the 10mm. A 30-30 is an option but my 30-06 is my primary hunting rifle, just looking for a side arm to go with. Plus I don't always take the 30-06 on a hike with me, it's just to much to shoulder and walk up a mountain when I'm not hunting
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
289 Posts
ash1012 said:
I think the 45 would would work for the area I hunt and camp at. But I am interested in the 10mm. A 30-30 is an option but my 30-06 is my primary hunting rifle, just looking for a side arm to go with. Plus I don't always take the 30-06 on a hike with me, it's just to much to shoulder and walk up a mountain when I'm not hunting
Makes sense...the reason for the 30-30 suggestion is that is my weapon of choice when I am not lugging my 7mm around the mountains out here in the west. If fits in my pack and is half the weight of my loaded 7mm. It is also easily retrieved from my pack while hiking, and will absolutely take out any black bear.

As for a side arm, I pack my 45 ACP when my trail pack isn't on my back (just day hike kind of trip) and have never felt under gunned.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top