Glock 21 In The Desert

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by SeventiesWreckers, Apr 22, 2012.

1. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I'm lucky to live where I can go out in the desert about a mile from my house & legally shoot. Sometimes the wind comes up & bumps you around, but I got a nice still afternoon.

I shot at 20 yards, and took a low hold at first, about 6 o'clock on the 9 ring, then I over corrected & held a bit high. when I finally broke down & took a center hold I actually hit @ center. Imagine that. It hits where you aim it.

I can't do this well with my Colt 1911, or any or my other autos. They all shoot a bit high, or low at 60'. So, in conclusion, it's fun to shoot, and more accurate than my skill level. I'll have to practice more to take advantage of it's accuracy. I can live with that.

Attached Files:

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Nice shootin' Bro !!

What brand and weight ammo were you using...?

3. SeventiesWreckers

Just Jack Ross, 230 Grain. I live local to him so I drive into town & buy it direct. The Glock seems to like it, no jams or FTF. So that's what I feed it.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Been hearing the name Jack Ross alot...gotta check it out !

5. SeventiesWreckers

He's a vet, and it's a small operation, nice & clean though. Good people. He is backed up usually on the mail orders, so sometimes people get impatient waiting. I used to shoot Winchester White box @ 22.00 per box. But sometimes I'd get faulty brass, like they were seconds or something. The Colt seemed to have random extraction issues with the case bases. So I started looking around & got lucky with a local mfg. I bought my last batch in Jan. for 18.00 per box from Jack Ross. I just go with the flow.

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Hey, Seventies!

Where do you shoot at? Down south off of Huffaker Hills, by Derby Dam, or in Spanish Springs?

7. SeventiesWreckers

Where do I shoot at? Just northeast of Golden Valley. If you pull up the Washoe County Sheriffs site, & go to the recreation/shooting page you can view a map, there is a sliver of area that runs north in between Lemmon Valley/Hidden Valley, & Spanish Springs. I shoot on the far south end of it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  8. SeventiesWreckers

They're calling it Congested Area/Firearms Discharge Map(s) now. I check it pretty often, just to be sure they haven't moved the lines around. Here's a screenshot of it. It go in from the west, off of Estates. Pretty rough road though, & kinda sandy, but I have a 4wd. Look to the yellow box in the middle of the pic.

Attached Files:

• WC.jpg
      WC.jpg
      File size:
      40.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yep, I have that map as well.

If you go up Pyramid Highway until Eagle Canyon Drive/La Posada Drive, and hang a left (towards Spanish Spings HS), and keep going past the power lines, you are on BLM land and can legally shoot there, not 500 yards away from a paved road.

GPS coordinates are 39*39'57.49N, 119*45'44.51"W

Off of Huffaker Hills (past the effluent ponds) is a trail (County Road 79, I think, and then on past Desert Way Road) that is a nice 4X4 trail going into Storey County where lots of people shoot. GPS coordiantes there are 39*26'57.91"N, 119*41'35.55"W

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I'll be teaching a FA class tomorrow (Monday) in Lemmon Valley, and we will be shooting off of a trail coming off of Patrician Road.

The GPS coordinates are 39*37'48.47"N, 119*47'46.55"W

We will be there from about 11:30AM or so until around 1:00PM.

11. SeventiesWreckers

I don't know what's on for me tomorrow, but I'll check out the Lemmon Valley site, nice to know, Thanks