Glock 21 guide rod

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by tnmoondog, Feb 6, 2012.

1. tnmoondog

tnmoondog New Member

I bought a glock 21 (gen 3) used and the guide rod feels really limp. You can bend it with two fingers and it's harder to rack the slide on my dads 19 than it is on the 21. Should I replace it with a steel rod?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum tnmoondog !!

Replace the guide rod if you feel the need, but if the firearm functions properly, why bother ?!

3. havocalex25103

havocalex25103 New Member

Try the tungsten guide rod a lot heavier and more accurate I just changed my guide rod to my gen4 21 and bro there is a big difference

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  4. tnmoondog

tnmoondog New Member

Hey thanks guys! I already love this forum :) . I am a huge glock fan and that is all I have ever carried but this is my first 45 so it's all kind of new to me. I have not fired it yet but I have never seen a guide rod so dinky before in my life

5. The guide rod only guides. Does not require strength, the plastic rods can last thousands of rounds if properly handled.

The metal rods only offer muzzle weight to provide "perceived reduced muzzle flip" (according to the marketing noise).

6. that being said, I am considering a tungsten RSA (recoil spring assembly) for my G30 since muzzle flip is rather excessive due to the short barrel.

7. tnmoondog

tnmoondog New Member

I ordered a steel rod before joining this forum now I wish I had waited so I could have got the tungsten GSA

8. ka13

ka13 New Member Supporter

I've been carrying a Tungsten guide rod in my G22 for about seven years, love the feel of it. It might all be in my head but I think it feels good.

9. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

I've always wondered if those metal rods make a discernible difference. Now I know. Thanks for the information.

10. rexg23

rexg23 New Member

Were can I get the tungsten GSA for a gen3 mod 30