Glock 20

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by ckuenzer331, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

Since it seems so many people here either have or want a Glock 20, why is it that ammunition is so expensive? How many of you own a 20 or are considering it as your next purchase?

2. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I have one. Was just loading up some ammo for it. It is "rare" so factory ammo s expensive. And ironically most is no more powerful than a decent 40. However, loaded to full power it is pretty sweet.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

3. kglack43

kglack43 New Member

I own one of the first generations of the Glock 20. I like the power I like the 15 round magazine capacity. I'm saving up some money so I can start reloading at the first of the year. Instead of spending money on factory ammo and time at the gun range, that will be the money I put back. Other than that, I'm buying a 6 inch barrel for deer season. Shooting paper targets and steel is one thing but eating what you kill is even better.

4. Tape

Tape New Member

cheaper than 45 ammo, I just bought a thousand 10mm rds for 16.95 at
    Palmetto State Armory with free shipping, free shipping ended yesterday so you can add another 37$ for shipping

5. I reload the 10 mm to save money and always have it on hand , but most important, to get the most out of the round over the weak factory rounds. A good stiff loaded 10 with some Blue Dot and 200 grain pills! Gets the blood going, and in MHO, there's no other round like it.

6. When I had my Glock G20 and 29, (both at the same time, sweet combo) I loaded my own ammo for em'. Doesn't cost anymore to load then anything else, just need to get the brass on hand to load up. The 10mm Auto has kind of went the way of the 41Mag, great cartridge but it just never really caught on like it should have. There is kind of a "Cult" following(like the 41Mag) but I think more folks opt for the G21/30 for a Large Frame Glock then the G20/29 now days.
    If you want one and feel you could use the power level then by all means get one, they'll hold up great to full power 10mm ammo but you can also get pretty close with full power 40S&W stuff too and have a slightly smaller size gun.

7. chuckds

chuckds Certified Glock Armorer

TNFrank Do you still have the 10mm dies? If so would be willing to sell them? The G20 is going to be my next gun purchase. I reload 9mm on a Dillon 550 for my 19, 26 and 17L.

8. Nope, that was over 13 years ago. IIRC they were Lee Carbide dies that'd work for the 10mm Auto AND the 40S&W ctg. so if you have both you can load both with just one set of dies.
    I've sold off all my dies/molds/bullet sizers and only have stuff for the 45acp now since that's the semi-auto ctg. that I'm going to go with from here on out.
    Getting older I've got to keep things simple so my brain don't explode,LOL. Just having to load one caliber helps me to focus on it so I don't get confused as much.:D

9. shaker223

shaker223 Boost Rules

A 45 super will give the 10MM a good run for the money. Heads up, between the two, IMO. I've had 185XTP @ 1,350 in 45 Super with no sugns of pressure. I would like a spring heavier than 24# though.

800x, Blue Dot, and AA#9 seem to be the preferred powders for HOT loads. My KKM barrel just came in for my G20 so I'm looking forward to some hot 10MM round development.

10. I've always thought the Super would be a good way to get added performance out a 45acp gun if it'll hold up to it. Of course a Glock being a Glock, there should be no problems once you get the right recoil spring and brass to load up. Might even add the little rubber shock buffer to the gun in this case, not a fan for standard use but with the Super it couldn't hurt.

11. shaker223

shaker223 Boost Rules

I did put a shock buff in my G21. It is contacted even with the 24# spring. Recoil is a strong moderate but controlable IMO. Very fun to shoot which is what I'm expecting from my G20!!

12. Tape

Tape New Member

I never used one but I have heard from many people not to use a shock-buff

13. shaker223

shaker223 Boost Rules

Never had an issue with one and it's easy to remove if it ever causes a problem.

Shooting a "stock" cartridge, I never use one, however the 45 Super's recoil is much more heavy than a standard 45 ACP.

I probably won't use one in my G20. Just a heavier spring.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  14. Yes, I am intrigued by the 45 super, but I enjoy being able to dump 16 rds of 10 mm power without a reload.

15. Glock G21 mag=13, add the +2 Extension, now you're at 15, then one in the chamber and you've got 16 rounds of 45 Super on tap.;)

16. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

Ok, I see a lot of guys talking about 45 Super.... Any specs comparing the 10mm to 45 Super? What about 45 Super to 9x25 Dillon?

17. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

And also 40 super and 400 Corbon?

18. shaker223

shaker223 Boost Rules

I've only started to play with the 45 super. In a Lone Wolf G21 threaded barrel, I'm pushing a Hornady 185XTP 1,350 fps. The brass is new Starline and I'm not seeing any preassure signs yet. No smiles or flat primers....etc