Glock 20 question

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by brutusvk, Apr 11, 2012.

1. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I had a few malfunctions this week and I wonder if it may be the KKM barrel needing to "break in". It seems pretty tight but not bad enough IMO to have it fitted. On one occasion it failed to feed, once the slide held open even though the mag was not empty (looked like it was going to be a stovepipe though) and once it did not hold the slide open on the empty magazine.

Any ideas? All were with the same mag since I only brought one. I was going to take the pistol in to Robar to get the slide NP3+ coated but I am holding off in case it needs warranty work.

I tried assembling with the factory parts last night and it is WAY "sloppier".

your thoughts? Magazine issue? Ammo (they were relatively hot)? Barrel? recoil spring still stiff (tungsten)?

I am still unfamiliar with the 10mm and the larger frame Glocks.

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

That could be a magazine issue. Other possibilities are that some aftermarket barrels have tighter chambers, so they're just more likely to fail to feed, especially when using reloads. With the slide failing to lock open, another possibility is that your hand held the slide stop against the frame, preventing it from locking into the slide. It's not hard to do, the slightest nudge to the slide stop during recoil can cause it not to lock into the slide.

Did the slide stop lock into the slide? Was it in the process of feeding another round, like a failure to feed? If neither, the barrel may need to be fitted, particularly between the locking lugs.

3. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

It looks like it locked as it was feeding a round. The round looked like it was pointed up further than it should have been. That's why I thought it may have been a magazine issue. However, the more I think about it, I think this may be a barrel issue. I plan on shooting it monday. So I will try multiple magazines and both stock parts and aftermarket.

4. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

Take the factory barrel with you. If you experience no problems with the factory barrel, and you experience problems with the KKM barrel, both while using the same ammo and magazines, you know the KKM barrel is the cause.

5. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

That's my plan. If it only happens with the aftermarket barrel I will have it professionally fitted. And then shoot the heck out of it so it "breaks in".

6. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

update

After work today I headed to the range. I fired about 100 rds through my G20. First off, I found my right thumb engaging the slide lock lever. Adjusted my grip and no more issues with the slide. I had 1 failure to feed and I believe it is a magazine issue. The magazine just seems to be cleaned and just broken in. Other than that it handled weak target rounds and some very hot loads. So, it should be headed to Robar on Monday or Tuesday.

Now, If I could just perfect my shooting on my Glock 31. lol I have been so inconsistent. I may even hire a private tutor. :) Even since I hit 40 this gun has whooped me. I shoot acceptably with it but I want excellent.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  7. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

Its the aftermarket barrel, have the same issue with my 17, you most likely need to get the barrel fitted. This stuff happens when you make a glock something its not supossed to be :/.

Attached Files:

8. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

It still may be the barrel causing some issues. But it seems to have gone away. The more I shoot the better it runs. My big concern was there may be an issue with the pistol that needed warranty work and that doesn't seem the case. So I am comfortable taking it to Robar for some custom work.

9. GlockIt

Ok cool, if you feel all the hiccups are over with then let the customizing begin :).

10. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

Shot it again today. no failures. If it does need work after I do all the custom stuff...my bad. lol I have to pay for it. But I guess that is the growing pains of making a custom pistol.

11. GlockIt

Oh yea! Welcome to the world of custom pistols!!!

12. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

Yeah, My 31 is all custom but the 357 is ultra reliable due to the bottleneck cartrige. The 10mm not as much. lol

My 1911 took a few tweaks too. (Thanks Springfield for awesome customer service and ZERO hassle warranty!)

They are worth it when they are done!