Glock Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,718 Posts
Hunted or defended with 10mm? Regardless. Nice bear.

Defended, did not use 10mm. Used 300 Win Mag. Which is the minimum rifle they suggest to carry. Once a year I go to help a buddy on his farm in Canada. The bear was attacking his livestock. He used some scare tactic he learned along the way. It didn't work, and I was the back up plan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hunted or defended with 10mm? Regardless. Nice bear.
Cute little bear pup.

Underwoods 140Grain has the 1500fps+ velocity to elevate the kinetic energy, with light recoil that allows quicker/more follow up shots. By all accounts, defense against a bear is a close encounter of one or two maybe three shots. Wildbill is right on target with his points, and recommending Underwoods 140gr extreme penetrator. And, don't aim by following the head bobble of the bear, center mass will do it, either gets the head, or spine, or heart, as their bodies don't bobble sideways, they bobble vertical through the kill zone where it doesn't matter if you hit the brain, spine or heart. The Glock 40 has a plastic stock, and not much recoil and rise, not at all like a .44 mag all steel revolver that takes longer to get on target with follow-up shots. Don't bother with hardened lead bullets, go for Underwoods solid copper ones.

·
Premium Member
14,718 Posts
Cute little bear pup.

Underwoods 140Grain has the 1500fps+ velocity to elevate the kinetic energy, with light recoil that allows quicker/more follow up shots. By all accounts, defense against a bear is a close encounter of one or two maybe three shots. Wildbill is right on target with his points, and recommending Underwoods 140gr extreme penetrator. And, don't aim by following the head bobble of the bear, center mass will do it, either gets the head, or spine, or heart, as their bodies don't bobble sideways, they bobble vertical through the kill zone where it doesn't matter if you hit the brain, spine or heart. The Glock 40 has a plastic stock, and not much recoil and rise, not at all like a .44 mag all steel revolver that takes longer to get on target with follow-up shots. Don't bother with hardened lead bullets, go for Underwoods solid copper ones.
I carry both Xtreme penetrators & 220gr underwood 10mm for woods defense in a G20.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I carry both Xtreme penetrators & 220gr underwood 10mm for woods defense in a G20.
I've heard that many people do. I do not because I don't want to deal with two different bullet trajectories. Granted, at close range it doesn't matter. The other reason is, that the 140gr has a flatter trajectory and will maintain it longer then a heavy bullet. Also, the Lehigh has a remarkable wound channel and doesn't deflect off bone, like a flat nose heavy bullet with the blunt force trauma effect. The Lehigh has deeper penetration, which matters with kill shots to cause damage to multiple vital areas.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Y’all just jumped back into a 5 year dead thread like it wasn’t a thing…LOL!

So, I guess, shall I. Here is an update to the post I made back
In 2017:

Reactions: Lucian_253

·
Premium Member
14,718 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Y’all just jumped back into a 5 year dead thread like it wasn’t a thing…LOL!

So, I guess, shall I. Here is an update to the post I made back
In 2017:

Thank you for posting this link to a publication from a man who took the time and energy to do the work. One of those stories sums up my opinion about the 'bear' situation with a one line. I quote: "Bridger's brother-in-law, Brad, cut the Gordian knot."
I wish game and wildlife does the same thing, cut the Gordian knot, and advise the public about the right response to an agressive bear, and publish what pistols and what rounds are effective. There is so much speculation going around that doesn't even make sense from the face of it. From the wildlife scientists quoting stats and chances like an insurance company actuary. That doesn't help a person in one of the situations. To the other dismissive comment about mock charges. How is anyone supposed to tell the difference between a s mock charge and real charge to eat you? The right advice is, when a bear comes near, draw. When the bear bear makes eye contact, draw a bead. When the bear charges, open fire. From a plastic pistol because the stock absorbs much of the energy from the recoil giving you maube one or two more shots, it has more rounds in the mag, and use Underwoods ammo they tag as 'bear'. It would be nice if wild-life management educates the public about where to aim a charging bear, and work up a detailed presentation that applies to all shooters.
Bears are a real issue today, because more people hike in the outdoors, and due to biologists efforts the dangerous predator population is increasing amazingly.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Dean Weitgarten has many really good articles about dangerous game on Ammoland website

A few of the ones I enjoyed:

Another update:

Reactions: sam.b and RIP
21 - 30 of 30 Posts