Glock Forum banner

Glock 19 Trigger

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  SuperSport 
#1 · (Edited)
Want to replace my trigger with a lighter one. I've seen many posts about triggers but not many specifics. I want a 3.5 trigger that will last as long as my gun. Any suggestions? What should I get?

Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to the technical stuff. I want to make sure I get something that lasts and has no problems with all the Glock safeties. I'm looking for specific brand and experience so I know what to buy. Thanks.

#2 ·
thinkricky said:
Want to replace my trigger with a lighter one. I've seen many posts about triggers but not many specifics. I want a 3.5 trigger that will last as long as my gun. Any suggestions? What should I get?
Well try a search bro lots of info here.

#6 ·
Hurricane460 said:
Just wondering why a 3.5?
I am curious to why people feel the need for a lighter trigger on their Glock. My finger doesn't have any trouble with the stock trigger.

I've also heard that this is a bad idea from a self defense stand point because you don't want the perception of prepping for a fight.

I'm interested to hear the reasons for this mod.

#7 ·
thinkricky said:
I have no idea. I'm trying to get info on what I should get. I've been searching but it's hard to find out what I should get. I'm begging for some feedback!
Why do you feel you need to lighten the trigger? What are you expecting from a lighter trigger?
Is this a carry weapon?
How long have you been shooting?

#8 ·
Shooting for a few months. First Glock. Carry weapon. Accuracy would be the only reason. Reading on the description it states better for shot placement and less movement of the trigger and pistol.

Bad idea? It sounds good. On other threads People say they've done 3.5 triggers. Not sure but like I said. Sounds like a good idea.

#9 ·
I have no idea. I'm trying to get info on what I should get. I've been searching but it's hard to find out what I should get. I'm begging for some feedback!
If your not sure why you want a 3.5 then my advise to you is leave it alone. Here is a pretty good video by the Glock Store. Hope this helps a bit..

[ame]http://youtu.be/7h3f6OHpwbI[/ame]

#10 ·
thinkricky said:
Shooting for a few months. First Glock. Carry weapon. Accuracy would be the only reason. Reading on the description it states better for shot placement and less movement of the trigger and pistol.

Bad idea? It sounds good. On other threads People say they've done 3.5 triggers. Not sure but like I said. Sounds like a good idea.
Honestly, this is my opinion only. Spend some more time ...a lot more time behind the trigger. Also seek out training from a reputable source. A buddy who has a lot of guns and shoots a lot doesn't count. If your having accuracy issues, it's because your fundamentals are weak. I'm not trying to be an azz, but proper fundamentals will make you a much more effective defensive shooter. Revisit this quest after you become proficient. I bet you change your mind.

#11 ·
kodiak said:
Honestly, this is my opinion only. Spend some more time ...a lot more time behind the trigger. Also seek out training from a reputable source. A buddy who has a lot of guns and shoots a lot doesn't count. If your having accuracy issues, it's because your fundamentals are weak. I'm not trying to be an azz, but proper fundamentals will make you a much more effective defensive shooter. Revisit this quest after you become proficient. I bet you change your mind.
Second that on the fundamentals. Here is a pic of my groupings last month.

Human body Font Tints and shades Electric blue Circle

Pretty much all over the place. After looking at online vids regarding stance, grip, and trigger control, here we're my groupings today.

Automotive lighting Ball Helmet Automotive tire Personal protective equipment

Found out that when I lift my left elbow and lock it, along with a small change in my grip.

Correct me if this is incorrect but my understanding is that Glocks have a 5 lb trigger up until it fires. After that it is a 3.5 lb if you keep it semi pulled for the next round.

Attachments

#13 ·
Personally I don't like putting aftermarket parts on stuff. Whether it is cars, guns or what ever the item aftermarket parts usually aren't as high quality as the OEM parts and will wear out a lot quicker. I have read mixed reviews about the ghost 3.5lb trigger. A lot of people like it, but there are equally as many people that don't like it because they say it feels mushy and the trigger feels slower when it resets. It is up to you whether you decide to spend the money on the after market parts, but I personally wouldn't mess with it. Glocks 5 lb trigger really isn't heavy for a firearm, my sig P238 if I remember right has like and 8lb trigger.

Like mentioned above work on your fundamentals. Extend your arms all the way and lock your elbows bend your knees slightly and lean into the target. Check out hickock45's videos on youtube he has a few good ones that explain grip, stance and trigger control pretty well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Cf0WEeXZk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22msLVCtPk8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xa5JPLGIsU[/ame]

Me personally I like to use a point shooting technique rather than trying to aim with the sights but everyone is different.

#14 ·
I think Todd Jarrett is one of the best instructors I've seen. He's clear, concise and proven. Look up his videos
Here is one
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKNSH9tuxY8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

As far as modding out gear. Somethings I wouldn't change on a Glock and some I always change (night sights). Reliability is the most important to me. Read the forums and other outlets but make an informed decision. Do you want it or do you NEED it.

#16 ·
A long time Glock shooter and Police Officer here...

Suggestion: start with stock trigger and learn the Glock trigger and releasing the trigger just to reset ( don't release all the way out after the shot only until you fell/hear the click
Of the trigger resetting). This will get you faster splits and follow up shots.

After you are comfortable with the trigger, google the "Glock 25 cent polish job". Steps on polishing parts of the trigger bar and connector which will make the trigger smoother and a bit lighter.

By doing the above, along with LOTS of dry firing you will smooth up the trigger.

After this (and it takes lots of rounds and dry firing) then look into aftermarket parts.

For aftermarket I suggest:

1) Zev tech competition spring pack and V4 connector - this combination will give you about a 3.5 - 4 pound trigger pull that is smooth with a very crisp trigger break (break will feel like a small glass rod snapping...that's what you want).

2) Zev tech drop-in trigger assembly - same as above but with a better trigger bar and over-travel and pre-travel reduced.

3) Glocktriggers.com - Vogel competition trigger - smooth, crisp, and light (about 3.5 lbs).

4) Vanek triggers (www.vanekcustom.com) - drop in competition trigger that is VERY light, but a bit soft/squishy coated to others listed above.

I've run homemade .25 cent jobs, Vanek custom and they are nice. Currently I'm running option #1 above (Zev tech competition springs and connector) and I like it.

Bottom line: start stock and work your way into custom. This way you learn the trigger and gun and develop sound fundamentals. If you jump right into custom and don't shoot well you won't know if it's that particular trigger combo or your fundamentals that are off.

Hope this helps. Glocks are great tools, can be very accurate, and can be worked on by the average shooter pretty easily.

Enjoy!!!
Z-

#17 ·
Also would add a better set of sights. I've used:

1) Trijicon night sights (same as my dept issued weapon)

2) Ameriglo "Operators" - great night sight with only the front sight outlined in white, which does a great job drawing your eye to the front sight.

3) Warren Tactical/Dave Sevigny fiber optic sights (fiber optic front, plain black)

4) Tru-Dot night sights - same as Trijicon (they use Trijicon inserts) but I find dots are a bit bigger and easier to see

These are all great sights and any of them will do you well.

Z-

#19 ·
Gotta mirror Zipper's reply although I'm not an LEO, I've walked the same route. I shot to be efficient and more accurate through the years and only after that I considered the 3.5 trigger. Ben (previous owner of Glockmeister) introduced me to it and got me sold and ultimately did the work on both my G26 & G19.

Recently strayed from Glock and picked up an H&K P30 with an LEM trigger - first night out at the range I was all over the paper. Following week - low right (lefty) but tighter groups. As of now much tighter but not as tight as with my Glocks. And even had to change my grip due to ambi safety. Totally different triggers and of course Striker vs DA/SA had me thinking if I made a mistake. Like anything new being diligent and wanting to improve should help one train and be more competent and react accordingly. In other words train to be the best you can be then test drive one with a lighter trigger to see if it's truly for you. The good thing about changing to a lighter trigger is you'll be able to change back. Won't know until you try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.