Glock 19 or 23?

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by GreekGen4, Apr 23, 2012.

1. GreekGen4

GreekGen4 New Member

Hey Guys, In the past I have had a bunch of 19s and 23s. At the time all gen 3s but didn't like the grips so I sold them off. Currently, I own and cc a 17 gen 4 which I wouldn't get rid of and shoot really well with. So now i am In the market for a gen4 that would be a bit smaller. Give me some feed back here about what you think I should get next.

2. glock19desertranger

glock19desertranger New Member

Well if you get a 23 you can buy a conversion barrel and shoot 9mm so it's almost like getting 2 guns. Or just buy both if you can't decide, hahaaaa!!!

3. GreekGen4

GreekGen4 New Member

I can go with a 23 and just get the barrel for 9 as well as .357 sig. I do have about 6 mags from my 17 that I can also use. But if I put my 9 barrel in the 23 slide would the loose tolerances of the barrel whole affect my accuracy?

4. DrumsnGuns

DrumsnGuns New Member

What you need is a "conversion" barrel. It's a third-party part that's the same size as your G23's original barrel, but the bore is sized to shoot 9mm. You can get one from lone wolf for a little over $100. It's a drop in part so there's no gunsmithing involved. All you need besides that is one or two (or 10) factory 9mm magazines (G19 mags work best) and you're good to shoot 9mm ammo all day long!

Edit: they also make a .357 conversion as well. Also, I would never recommend trying to drop in a factory G19 barrel directly into a G23

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  5. GreekGen4

GreekGen4 New Member

Thank you for the wisdom. How good is the quality of these barrels? Do they ever have any feeding and extraction issues? I am kind of on the fence when it comes to thinking about buying after market parts.

6. glock19desertranger

glock19desertranger New Member

Yeah sorry I meant conversion barrel, stock g19 barrel won't fit into a g23. I haven't heard of any problems with the aftermarket barrels. I seem to remember some discussions on the forum about aftermarket barrels in the last few weeks.

7. GreekGen4

GreekGen4 New Member

Ok. I'll look through some of those barrel discussions. What are your opinions on those ported barrels these guys make? I am know they are a bit longer than the stock looking ones. I think they are just something thats more to show off than something that is functional.

8. I will always pick the 19 lol

9. DrumsnGuns

DrumsnGuns New Member

Ported barrels do look pretty sweet on their own, but the main idea is to reduce recoil by allowing more gas to release out of the barrel. This helps to keep on target when firing rapidly. Also: the longer the barrel, the better the accuracy. I would recommend these if you plan on shooting in competitions.

10. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

My next Glock will be a 19 or 23 just curious what would make you pick the 19

11. GreekGen4

GreekGen4 New Member

19 has less felt recoil IMO but if you plan to shoot that gun often the cost of 9 is a bit less than 40. As I mentioned at the beginning of the post I have owned a couple of both 19 and 23. Now whatever I will buy I am getting in a gen 4 and I also planning on keeping it unless I find something I don't like about it after I shoot it. Only thing for me is right now the GSSF competitions begin so I have to buy atleast 300-500 rounds for my 17 since thats what I like competing with and if I get a 23 I will have to get a box of 40 with 19 I would take 50 or so to shoot with from the 9mm pile.

12. Size, caliber, comfort, reliability, track record.

13. GreekGen4

GreekGen4 New Member

Not a bad piece. Has a nice high mag cap. It's accurate and it always goes bang like all Glocks do.

14. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

I would & did pick the G23 than I paid 160 for a 40-9 conversion barrel from LWD now I have the best of both worlds a 23 and a 19. And if I wanted to and I just may. I could get the LWD .357 sig barrel and have 3 in 1. ;)

15. GreekGen4

GreekGen4 New Member

I know the 9 and 40 mags differ. But can the 40 mix with the .357? I know sig mags in .40 accept the .357

16. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

Yes .357 and .40 use the same mags. I even use the .40 mags for 9mm haven't had any issues yet.

17. GreekGen4

GreekGen4 New Member

Oh ok. Ya in the past i have shot at ranges with leos doing their quals and sometimes they would cross their 9s n 40s as funny as it sounds however they are people too and they do make mistake regardless how silly they may be. Sounds good then I guess I'll get the 23 due to its versatility for multiple calibers.

18. DrumsnGuns

DrumsnGuns New Member

Excellent choice! That is exactly why my first gun was a G23.

19. GreekGen4

GreekGen4 New Member

My very first one was a 23 as well. I just never liked the gen 3 grip. I switched to smith m&p for a while, they are great guns but in encountered other issues with them which made me want to sell. However, I returned back to Glock as soon as the Gen 4 line was released and I got a 17 which I carry the most and shoot the most.

20. DrumsnGuns

DrumsnGuns New Member

Definitely love the gen 4 grip. The added backstraps are a cool feature too.