Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

I just purchased my first Glock (glock 19).

This is an amazing pistol. So far, I have over 500 rds and seems to be working flawlessly.

Only issue I have is the grip. The thickness of the handle at times prevents me from a having a firm grip, hence, it seems to effect performance (I.e recoil control, shot placement etc....)

Has anyone experienced a similar issue, or is it just me?!

I've tried the hoague rubber grip and the skateboard tape. Not much improvements.

Someone at the range mentioned a grip reduction. I'm not familiar with that.

Any suggestions / tips will be appreciated.

Thanks .

Ara

·
Is That a .40....nope its a 10MM!
563 Posts
If its done wrong it can destroy your frame look wise and it greatly decreases resale are trade value.(if later you wish to trade for new model are different model) I personally don't like the way it looks. But my Hands are good sized to. Im sure someone else will have a more informative answer shortly

You could also try i different hand placement are 4 gen with no backstrap same as sf models.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I find that the standard Glock grip takes a while to adjust to. It's a little fat, has slab sides, and the grip angle of a luger. If you were use to any other pistol, (other than Glock) it will feel foreign. At least it did to me at first.

The more I shot it the better it felt. The better it felt the more I shot it.

I like the grip sleeve on mine. My wife doesn't. I know some that can never get use to the Glock grip. We are all different.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Ara, welcome to the forum.

A picture of you gripping the pistol would help.

First off, do you have a Gen 4 glock or an earlier version?

If you don't have a Gen 4, hop into a shop and give one of those a try. I had previously written off Glocks b/e of the pre-gen4 grip shape. My hand is on the smaller side and the pronounced backstrap forced my hand into an unnatural position. That MAT be part of the issue.

Second thing to consider is how you are gripping the pistol.
It's easier to explain "in person", and It's hard to type out the explanation but here goes.. Your thumb shouldn't be involved with gripping the pistol (if that makes any sense. If you're right handed, the 3 fingers on your right hand are what's doing the gripping with the palm of your right hand working with your fingers to product a "pinching" force on the grip. Your thumb shouldn't be putting any pressure on the grip. Sounds counter intuitive, I know, but take a look at some of the precision competition guns, there's a thumb rest on the grip that doesn't allow your thumb to put any pressure on the grip. Now turn the pistol on it's side so the back of your right hand (primary hand) is facing the floor (Palm up). You'll see an open space where the fingers and the palm for your primary grip hand don't meet around the grip. You take your support hand and place the fat part of your palm into that space against the exposed side of the grip. This will provide an "opposing", pinching force to your primary hand. In essence, you are now pinching the grip between both hands. Wrap the 4 fingers of your support hand around the 3 fingers of your primary hand. Your support hand thumb should not be placing any pressure on the grip or the pistol.

The "pinching" force of this type of grip, coupled with the support fingers up front should help with recoil management. It's easier to do this in person and I'm not sure I explained it very well. My apologies if it's "clear as mud".

Third thing to consider is the finger grooves in the front of the grip. Are your fingers fitting into the grooves ok? These grooves are a common complaint and couple this with an "odd" backstrap and you could have grip issues.

I'd only consider a "grip reduction" as a last resort as it permanently alters your frame. It kills resale value AND if not done by a competent individual can destroy your pistol.

HTH
D

·
Registered
236 Posts
You might try and locate an early Gen 2 model..no finger grooves to interfere with your grip. You can add grip tape or other grip enhancements to your heart's content!!

·
Banned
292 Posts
You might try and locate an early Gen 2 model..no finger grooves to interfere with your grip. You can add grip tape or other grip enhancements to your heart's content!!
I have hands that are on the smaller side and I love the Gen 2 Glocks. I can't stand the rubber grips with the finger groves either. Give a Gen 2 a feel and see how you like it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You just have to get used to it. I was originally an XD guy and was used to the smaller grip size. I have smaller hands too so switching to a Glock was a little awkward. I just kept dry firing to get used to the feel and angle and found a happy medium that worked for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the swift reply.

I appreciate everyones response.

I live in California, hence the gen4 is out of the question.

I will try dwcfastrice's gripping technique. I'll be heading to the range tomorrow.

As far as a grip reduction is concerned, I'm not too comfortable with having the grip permanently butchered.

I'm going to try the pre-cut talon tapes as well.

Again thanks for all the feedback.

Ara

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Ara said:
Thank you all for the swift reply.

I appreciate everyones response.

I live in California, hence the gen4 is out of the question.

I will try dwcfastrice's gripping technique. I'll be heading to the range tomorrow.

As far as a grip reduction is concerned, I'm not too comfortable with having the grip permanently butchered.

I'm going to try the pre-cut talon tapes as well.

Again thanks for all the feedback.

Ara
Where in CA, I'm down in Orange County.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts