Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a holster for my g19 gen 5. First of all is there a difference between the gen 4 and gen 5 when it comes to holsters? I ordered an Alien Gear shape shift because it didn't specify what gen it was for. I asked of it worked for the gen 5 and they said it didn't so I had to cancel my order. Now I'm back on the hunt for a good holster, preferably iwb, but I would prefer something that would go from iwb to owb so I don't have to buy 2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All I can say is look up bull dog. It’s nylon it’s cheap. I don’t like it but it do works At the price of $12

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I'm not 'pushing' the subject product, but simply offering their explanation as to the 'differences' that may necessitate a 'Gen 5' holster... https://tulster.com/blog/glock-gen5-compatibility/.

The Why.
Because we fit every holster to it's exact firearm with minimal tolerances, our old Glock 17/19 molds did not allow tolerances for some of the new features of the Gen5. Here are some of the details: Slightly longer slide, Slightly thicker frame, Slide lock release on both sides of the firearm. Most of the items didn't affect our holster, but the ambi slide lock release did catch on the Left Handed holsters (on the sweat shield) as there was no channel. Because our business model is to aim for perfect fitment on every holster, we decided to upgrade our tooling.

Depending on the holster, the above 'differences' may or may not be an issue.

Best regards,

Bob :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just FYI I’m using the shape shift on my gen 5 19 and seems to be perfect I think only the lefty ones have a problem. Just my opinion

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any pictures of the gun in the holster? Being able to get the shape shift was one of the deciding factors between the glock and M&P 2.0. I am definitely disappointed that holster isn't designed for the gen 5. I've tried buying alien gear 3 times now and every time they didn't offer what I needed. I think it's time to give up. I was considering bravo concealment. I can get 2 holsters and a mag holster for $50 cheaper than what I was gonna pay for the shape shifter and mag holster. I just have to wait for the money to go back on my card, because my wife would definitely kill me if I bought another holster before getting credited for the last one.

I understand why there would be differences especially with the ambi slide stop, but alien gears website makes no mention of what model 19s their holster works for. Being that there is now 5 different versions of the 19 you would think they would specify on their site which ones they work for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any pictures of the gun in the holster? Being able to get the shape shift was one of the deciding factors between the glock and M&P 2.0. I am definitely disappointed that holster isn't designed for the gen 5. I've tried buying alien gear 3 times now and every time they didn't offer what I needed. I think it's time to give up. I was considering bravo concealment. I can get 2 holsters and a mag holster for $50 cheaper than what I was gonna pay for the shape shifter and mag holster. I just have to wait for the money to go back on my card, because my wife would definitely kill me if I bought another holster before getting credited for the last one.

I understand why there would be differences especially with the ambi slide stop, but alien gears website makes no mention of what model 19s their holster works for. Being that there is now 5 different versions of the 19 you would think they would specify on their site which ones they work for.
I’ll get a picture after work today

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It fits well and draws well and the retention is good. I’m no expert but I don’t see a reason not to use the shape shift alien gear with the gen 5 19
Thanks for the pic. From everything I've read it seems like the right side slide stop causes most of the issues, but it looks like it doesn't come into play with the shape shift. How comfortable is the holster and have you tested the different variations?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the pic. From everything I've read it seems like the right side slide stop causes most of the issues, but it looks like it doesn't come into play with the shape shift. How comfortable is the holster and have you tested the different variations?
It is the most comfortable that I have. I can wear the 19 in the 4o’clock with no issues. I have the shape shift on order for my 43 but don’t have that one yet. The 17 and 19 work well. I have not tested many holsters but of the 4 or 5 that I have it wins

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looking for a holster for my g19 gen 5. First of all is there a difference between the gen 4 and gen 5 when it comes to holsters? I ordered an Alien Gear shape shift because it didn't specify what gen it was for. I asked of it worked for the gen 5 and they said it didn't so I had to cancel my order. Now I'm back on the hunt for a good holster, preferably iwb, but I would prefer something that would go from iwb to owb so I don't have to buy 2.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you want deep concealment with almost zero print go to Cherries Tactical. Takes a little practice as all holsters do.
Same holster as seen in John Wick Chapter 2.
Cost, $39.99 + $8.00 shipping. I have a G19C, with a RMR, works well.
Do not re-holster hot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got my Bravo Concealment holsters today. Great quality for the price. Time will tell on comfort and durability, but they have a 30 day money back guarantee and an unlimited lifetime warranty. I'm just happy I can start carrying my new Glock now. The iwb one was a little uncomfortable at first but I added a little forward cant and it was much better. Not as good as my LAG tactical holsters but for the price I can't complain. $120 for an iwb, owb and dual mag holster with free shipping and it took just over a week to receive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Bravo Concealment OWB holster - I’ve Had mine a couple weeks now. Seems very well built - great fit and retention. Glock 19 just about disappears under a loose T-shirt, comfortable and hugs your body. Really like it. I also purchased a Fierce Defender for IWB and happy with it too. Up until recently I’ve preferred leather holsters but I am really liking the Kydex models, for me they are less bulky and have good positive feel when holstering. So far so good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That’s why they make hybrid. Leather & kydex.
I have looked at hybrids and even tried them on. Some hybrids seemed bulky and almost over-engineered to me. It’s the overall size and thickness that concerns me due to my somewhat portly build. (Some people just say tubby) For me it seems that the more recently designed plain kydex holsters are a smaller, thinner, and simpler solution. So far. I have had many holsters from over the years, have a container full, just recently got re-interested because of the G19. I always keep an open mind.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
It is the most comfortable that I have. I can wear the 19 in the 4o’clock with no issues. I have the shape shift on order for my 43 but don’t have that one yet. The 17 and 19 work well. I have not tested many holsters but of the 4 or 5 that I have it wins
How does your shape shift work for your 43? I just got mine. I have 2 AGs for my 19 and they work well but now it's hot out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe there is a difference at least with most manufacturers. I just went through the process of buying an new holster and everything I looked at had separate options for G19 gen 4 and gen 5.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts