Glock 19 gen 5 barrel mystery

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by DanOsgood, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:58 PM.

1. DanOsgood

DanOsgood New Member

Hey guys, just picked up a NIB 19 gen 5 from my FFL today. Delivered from GT Dist. here in Florida. When doing the initial cleaning of the barrel, I noticed these white streaks that run from the chamber all the way to the crown. I've tried to clean it out with hoppes, balistol, copper remover, etc...wont budge. Almost looks like the barrel wasn't finished and was left in the white, or some how took an acid bath along the way. Every Glock I've had before the new barrel was like a mirror. This one is the funkiest factory barrel I've ever seen. What do you think? shoot it, or send it back? IMG_3384.JPG IMG_3385.JPG

Danzig likes this.
  2. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’d call Glock USA and see what they say. They will probably want to check it out, & replace if it’s an issue.

LElliott likes this.

3. Lucian_253

So I did about 20 minutes of google search on the issue your having. Every thread said it’s pretty common, & not an issue, FWIW.

Danzig and LElliott like this.
  4. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I’ve got a gen5 17. I didn’t notice the barrel, despite playing with it, shooting it and cleaning it. I’ll have to look. I’ll post when I see.
    Wonder if that’s on all Marksman barrels?

5. jhg

jhg Gunslinger Supporter

Just looked down the barrel of my NIB G19 Gen5. Looked nice and shiny, no white streaks that I could tell. It is night time though and I don't see so well. I would just run a few boxes through it and see if it goes away. If not you can always send it to Glock later.

6. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

My guess is that they're mineral deposits from a water wash with common 'hard' water, which contains 'white' minerals (like calcium and magnesium from limestone).

"A mild solution of vinegar or lemon juice with water applied with a soft cloth to the steel surface returns its shine."

Why Does Stainless Steel Get Cloudy?
    https://www.hunker.com/13408584/why-does-stainless-steel-get-cloudy

... or just shoot it and let the bullets clean it for you. :D

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Bob

Richard Davis, mattm and Danzig like this.
  7. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

No... most have a mirror finish. :)

Best regards,

Bob

SJ 40 and Danzig like this.
  8. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

The mineral deposits makes sense to me. I worked in one shop that had a deionized water/soap cleaning system, and we'd get crazy money cleaning turbine compressor components from, iirc, Samsung. My job on this was to check for residue. Rocket science, I tell ya'.:p

Richard Davis, SJ 40 and jhg like this.
  9. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Well-Known Member

Possibly chemical residue from the black oxide process? My company sends out thousands of pounds of fasteners for black oxide. Occasionally we get some back with a white residue in the threads.

10. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

Just dawned on me, I call the white stuff "alkali". 3 syllables, sounds professional, slight chance of being correct :rolleyes:

Silver-Bolt likes this.
  11. NQNPIII

NQNPIII Well-Known Member

Residue from test firing elcheapo CCI aluminum case ammo? Did you get the spent cartridge cases when you bought it? I don't think they clean them after the testing.

golfnglock likes this.
  12. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    So I checked out my gen5 17 barrel. I’ve got about 500+ rounds through it.
    Same unfinished look on the interior. Plus I have finish flaking off on the breach end. Not sure if there’s the same white streaks as there is other fouling residue. Barrel is clean though. I’m going to say that this is the new normal on barrel finishes. Doesn’t effect performance so it’s not a factor to me. 36C13EE4-3FEA-4550-B938-68C2572EAFED.jpeg 1E27243A-012B-4603-BA73-C973C5282379.jpeg 92B1DAF6-6748-4754-B363-EA278D724AAA.jpeg F31F6E7A-3B12-4D53-9C53-7E7D7F07D052.jpeg

13. Lucian_253

Yours looks worse.

Richard Davis and Danzig like this.
  14. NQNPIII

NQNPIII Well-Known Member

I would send the barrel back. No excuse for that. It looks like garbage. I would call that DLLGC "Dat Look Like Garbage Coating" I sent 2 NIB Gen 4's back to Glock because the slides had what looked like hand prints, and mottled looking coloration. Rural King sent them back and they returned a week later looking like my older Gen4's.