Glock Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Glock 19 gen2 built Jan1991. Its stock through and through and has less than 1000 rounds through it. It was a US Marshall's back up gun and sold to me when he migrated to SigSauer. I haven't shot it much at all since then. I also have two gen3 G32C I bough used, and a gen5 G17 that has had only two magazines through it.

I am interested in getting into the nitty gritty of glock modifications and was curious if using the G2 as a starting point for my own mods would be unadvisable because if its age. The G32s already have lone wolf barrels, one in .40 and the other in extended .357sig [I did this to replace the comp barrels]. Teh G17, as I mentioned is bone stock new.

The other route would be going with some 80% frames and parts to build my own. I am capable of milling, filing, polishing, and other metal and plastic work. I just was curious which way was better to start learning - either on the ones I own now, or start with a new batch of parts and use my existing ones as templates or original guides for my work.

Thanks.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
40,883 Posts
Since you have the means I’d do a polymer 80 build. I’d leave the old gen2 stock not because it can’t handle mods just cause it’s an original. Gen 2 are great guns only I like to mount lights so I traded mine in for gen3 models.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I leave my guns stock for the most part, mostly change the sights to night sights. But if you want to do some modifications, I would leave the G19 Gen 2 stock, and instead, work on one of the G32s you have.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you modify that Gen 2 it will diminish its value drastically. I feel given the fact you own 4 Glocks you should very well be in tune with the value and collector appreciation of a Gen 2. That being said I truly am startled you would even ask whether or not you should "modify" a Gen 2.

Welcome to the forum, but this seems like a set-up lol. Forgive me for thinking that, but that is the only thing that can come to mind when someone who has 4 Glocks is asking if he should modify a mint condition Gen 2 with less than 1,000 rounds through it.

Again forgive me if I'm wrong, but that is how appalling it is to me. I mean you obviously know what that firearm is worth in what sounds like a mint condition Gen 2

By the way are you familiar if the US Marshalls backup gun has all the OEM internals it came with when it left the factory in 1991? I would be willing to bet that if he sent the Gen 2 to his agencies armorer anytime within the last 12 years they will likely be MIM internals

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Unless it is like new it’s worth no more than any other Glock. I have two of them that I bought as police trade ins. Both had a lot of holster wear, but little internal wear so I Cerakoted the slides, changed the sights, springs and added dot connectors. If I ran across a “mint” one I’d leave it stock though.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Bumper Wood

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you modify that Gen 2 it will diminish its value drastically. I feel given the fact you own 4 Glocks you should very well be in tune with the value and collector appreciation of a Gen 2. That being said I truly am startled you would even ask whether or not you should "modify" a Gen 2.

Welcome to the forum, but this seems like a set-up lol. Forgive me for thinking that, but that is the only thing that can come to mind when someone who has 4 Glocks is asking if he should modify a mint condition Gen 2 with less than 1,000 rounds through it.

Again forgive me if I'm wrong, but that is how appalling it is to me. I mean you obviously know what that firearm is worth in what sounds like a mint condition Gen 2

By the way are you familiar if the US Marshalls backup gun has all the OEM internals it came with when it left the factory in 1991? I would be willing to bet that if he sent the Gen 2 to his agencies armorer anytime within the last 12 years they will likely be MIM internals
No, this is no intentional setup, although I did put some spin on the question. The G2 sat in my safe, etc, since I got it in 1991 after I was involved in a drive by shooting incident. I had a perceived value to the gun given its lack of use and originality but no definite proof. I have not touched or otherwise modified the g2 since I have had it, and the only thing he did to it was add a trigger guard laser sight to it. The activation pad broke on the laser sight, and I removed it because the company is out of business and I haven't been able to find a replacement pad which will work for that unit.

One of the G32C's has a ghost disconnector in it, the other is bone stock. No other modifications are apparent like polishing the sear or disconnectors, nor does the disconnectors have the +- or dot on them. Hence I was considering playing with what I have versus buying new parts.

Frankly, Id rather work on new parts and that is the spin to the question, but I was curious what other ideas would have been. So the decision is to work with purchased parts over modifying originals. 'Nuff said. :)

I'd like to replace the ghost connector with a g3 stock connector at any rate and put it back to factory if I am going to build a polymer 80 which is in effect what I will wind up doing. Thanks for all your input - even the concern over this being a "trap". I certainly did not intend for it to be that way. I appreciate honest and forthright opinions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since I started my shop I have used the G2 more as an educational tool for people who don't believe the 3 safety design of a glock. Its bulletproof for sure and after a little education people tend to modify their viewpoint about glock, whether they still like them or not for other reasons.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Unless it is like new it’s worth no more than any other Glock. I have two of them that I bought as police trade ins. Both had a lot of holster wear, but little internal wear so I Cerakoted the slides, changed the sights, springs and added dot connectors. If I ran across a “mint” one I’d leave it stock though.
View attachment 173807
He did say " less than 1,000 rounds " and " backup gun " so one would have to assume that is fairly mint especially for a G2, however I could be wrong.

When taking percentiles into consideration a G2 that does not look like it has been used as a carpenters hammer does take home much more than a G3. The question is what is " much more " on a $500 brand new gun? Not much at all so its not going to be some catastrophic financial mistake. I thought people loved G2's

·
Glockin’ since 1993
40,883 Posts
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Magenta
I have not touched or otherwise modified the g2 since I have had it, and the only thing he did to it was add a trigger guard laser sight to it. The activation pad broke on the laser sight, and I removed it because the company is out of business and I haven't been able to find a replacement pad which will work for that unit.
Is it the AroTek laser?

·
Registered
1 Posts
With a Gen 2 manufactured in 1991, I would call Glock customer service to see if that model was recalled, or as Glock describes it, “available for some free upgrades.” I sent mine in a couple of years ago, and in addition to the upgrades, they detected a tiny frame crack I never saw and sent it back to me with a new Gen 3 frame.

·
Registered
1 Posts
not
No, this is no intentional setup, although I did put some spin on the question. The G2 sat in my safe, etc, since I got it in 1991 after I was involved in a drive by shooting incident. I had a perceived value to the gun given its lack of use and originality but no definite proof. I have not touched or otherwise modified the g2 since I have had it, and the only thing he did to it was add a trigger guard laser sight to it. The activation pad broke on the laser sight, and I removed it because the company is out of business and I haven't been able to find a replacement pad which will work for that unit.
Not sure if you still read these forum, or still have the Glock. I may be able to help out getting the Aro-tek laser activator fixed if you are interested. Either that, or would be willing to buy the parts from you if you had the laser deinstalled.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts