Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the Federal Hydra Shock Hollow points. For range shooting i test out my Home defense ammo just to see how they shoot. Winchester. I usually use 115gr So does anybody recommend a higher grain for the Glock 19 9mm?

·
Banned
4,604 Posts
In 9mm I prefer 147gr Federal HST{standard pressure}

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRqrJRq4T0&list=PL727CAFF8A6C0D3BF&index=12&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

You can watch all of these 9mm ballistic gel test vids on this playlist and decide for your self. These vids are what helped me choose the standard pressure 147 HST's.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL727CAFF8A6C0D3BF

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the link and the info. Very helpful. Have a great day, God Bless

·
"The Sarge"
668 Posts
I second that 147gr HST as it is what I choose to carry. Any of the modern, high tech duty rounds would serve you well in 124gr or 147gr. Hydra-shoks are an older design that are effected by heavy clothing. Go to the ballistic testing section of www.le.atk for more on the HST. The Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T and Remington Golden Saber are all worthy bullets too. Bill

·
Registered
24 Posts
This informative articles has the Cor-Bon 9mm 115 grain +P Jacketed Hollowpoint as being the best ammo for self-defense. What do you guys think?

·
"The Sarge"
668 Posts
In my professional opinion that articale contains a lot of out dated material, personal opinions, and down right BS. I know of no police department that uses the 115gr Cor-bon loading and thus no "street record". On the subject of street records, creds, track records, one drop shots, etc, valid ones don't exist. No one in main stream LE is keeping them and each shooting has so many variables that can't be quantified. Most of the "street creds" are observations of one incident and hearsay. For every shooting that a certain loading worked very well you can find one that failured badly. What can be shown is how certain bullets perform under controlled conditions and compare with others.

Chuck Hawks has always shown venom for the 147gr 9mm JHP which is still the number one selling bullet weight in that caliber to LE by far. I would not trust my life to a shallow penetrating 115gr bullet. Times have changed. Today's premium bullet designs are not velocity driven dependent to expand and perform. Bill

·
1,612 Posts
Welcome to the forum "JCANNON".

In my professional opinion that articale contains a lot of out dated material, personal opinions, and down right BS. I know of no police department that uses the 115gr Cor-bon loading and thus no "street record". On the subject of street records, creds, track records, one drop shots, etc, valid ones don't exist. No one in main stream LE is keeping them and each shooting has so many variables that can't be quantified. Most of the "street creds" are observations of one incident and hearsay. For every shooting that a certain loading worked very well you can find one that failured badly. What can be shown is how certain bullets perform under controlled conditions and compare with others.

Bill
Bill is correct, that article is old. I'm not a professional, but it seems to be about 15-20 years out of date.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thesarge said:

Chuck Hawks has always shown venom for the 147gr 9mm JHP which is still the number one selling bullet weight in that caliber to LE by far. I would not trust my life to a shallow penetrating 115gr bullet. Times have changed. Today's premium bullet designs are not velocity driven dependent to expand and perform. Bill
Understood Thesarge thanks... so by that I'm assuming that there isn't much pass-through with the 147gr 9mm JHP because it mushrooms well enough to hit and stay put? Also what would be the top brand for this? these would only be my home ammo so the extra investment is obviously worth it.

·
"The Sarge"
668 Posts
Understood Thesarge thanks... so by that I'm assuming that there isn't much pass-through with the 147gr 9mm JHP because it mushrooms well enough to hit and stay put? Also what would be the top brand for this? these would only be my home ammo so the extra investment is obviously worth it.
Any bullet can pass through under certain conditions. Problem is bullets that don't risk over penetration may not penetrate deep enough into a large sized bad guy to stop him. You can't choose the size of your attacker, what he is wearing, or the angle of the shot you must make. But you can choose your ammunition. Of the current 147gr 9mm JHP loadings I recommend the Federal HST standard pressure. That is what I carry. Bill.

·
Administrator
53,029 Posts
When I carried the G19 on duty and G26 off duty, we carried the 124g +p Speer gold dot, we have switched to the 45ACP, G21 on duty and G30 off duty, 230g Speer Gold Dot

My recommendation for the 19 would be the Speer Gold Dot 124+P

·
Registered
665 Posts
Over at GT, Massad Ayoob tends to recommend Speer God Dot 124 +P or Ranger 127 +p+ as primary or Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot 147 grain.

·
Lurker
106 Posts
In 9mm I prefer 147gr Federal HST{standard pressure}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRqrJRq4T0&list=PL727CAFF8A6C0D3BF&index=12&feature=plpp_video

You can watch all of these 9mm ballistic gel test vids on this playlist and decide for your self. These vids are what helped me choose the standard pressure 147 HST's.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL727CAFF8A6C0D3BF
I watched all of his videos before I bought my ammo a month ago. Right now im running the HST 124 grain. Why wouldnt I trust law enforcement ammo

1 - 20 of 27 Posts