Glock 19 and the Military?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by txglock, Apr 17, 2012.

1. txglock

txglock New Member

I was told that the glock 19 are being bought up by the military. Is this true? If so why? Is it there new side arm?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum txglock !!

Don't know who told you that...can you cite a reference ? It is the sidearm of the Austrian military,

and countless LEO around the world...but our military...not that I'm aware of.

(And that avatar...really ?!)

3. Brutane

Brutane New Member

I have heard that the USA purchases many Glock 17's to equip the resident forces of Iraq and Afghanistan after the go through the training by coalition forces.

4. thinkricky

thinkricky Member Supporter

I agree. ***...

5. cvitter

cvitter New Member

Have not heard that and cannot find a reference to them "buying up" G19s. Various units in the military do use Glocks and it wouldn't surprise me if there were some decent sized buys going on to replace aging weapons with Gen 4 models. The G19 is a very popular model in general and that is especially true for individuals who carry concealed.

6. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

The regular military will never have glocks. Some foreign armys do use them, and some of our forces will use them to help train those individuals.

Other than that, I don't think they are 19s, they are all 17s. I agree with shooter, can you reference where you saw this info?

7. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

This would be a much better choice than the beretta 92 they are using...

8. Latvia1971

Latvia1971 New Member

Some of us carry the glock 19.........most were not issued by uncle Sam though:D

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum Latvia1971 !!

...and thank you for your service!

10. cvitter

cvitter New Member

You can Google for some of the references including 940 Glock 19s bought by the Air Force awhile back:

"Solicitation Number:
    W52H0909D0272 Notice Type:
    Special Notice Synopsis:
    Added: Jun 29, 2011 10:56 am
    Army Contracting Command - Warren anticipates modifying Contract W52H09-09-D-0272 on or about 14 July 2011 for the purpose of issuing a delivery order for a one-time purchase of 940 each Glock 19 Compact Pistols and 14 packages Contractor Spare Part kits on behalf of the U.S. Air Force."

And there are plenty of references to various Special Forces units using them. Some units have weapon choice and many individuals chose Glock over Baretta or Sig (19 or 17). You would be hard pressed to find any numbers or references to models since it is preference versus organizational mandate.

11. I am not in the army but my federal tax refund paid for my G19. Does that mean the government issued it to me?

12. Trotac

Trotac New Member

I have made and sent holsters overseas to numerous 'DOD Consultants and Contractors' all using G19's. I also have a buddy who is SF and his unit got a small quantity of 19's while he was in Iraq. He said that they got snatched up very quickly once they were made available. He said that he also had to see thousands of guns, Glocks included, destroyed while they were there.

13. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

Quite the contrary: You bought that G19 with your own money, after Uncle Sam held onto it for a year. If anything, I'd like to say that I own a certain percentage of one of those M1 Abrams...

14. txglock

txglock New Member

Thank you all, my second thought was that they had sent them to the sandbox overseas. My info was told to me buy management at a gun store. But was not told why, and was just askin if any of y'all know why and where they went. So thank you all for the replys. And for my profile pix, it's not me. Just seemed funny.

15. ryan5701

ryan5701 New Member

I have some buddies that were in the sandbox and would not go on patrol with the Berreta's!
    They carried Glocks on patrol!