Glock 17L change

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by waynesigmeister, Feb 1, 2012.

1. waynesigmeister

waynesigmeister New Member

I bought a Glock 17L which has a six inch barrel and slide, can the top slide and barrel be changed to five inch"s. I am shooting this gun in USPSA and will test the gun with the 6" barrel. I understand that the 6" has more velocity for the bullet, less felt recoil and better aiming picture than the 5" but I cannot use any compensators on the barrel because of its length, so I am getting the barrel ported. If this does't work out, can I drop the slide and barrel down to 5"?

2. plumbershoots

plumbershoots New Member

5 0r 6

as i understand its the same frame, just a longer slide, so i think this is a yes but i am sure there are some here who know more than me, i just found this site,,, glocks rock!

3. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I think the 17Ls are 2nd Gen, this means you can use any 2nd Gen 9mm slide/barrel. So you can get a 2nd Gen 17 slide and barrel and fire away!

4. waynesigmeister

17l

I believe that it is a brand new Gen 3 gun. Glockworx had the gun displayed at the most recent Shot Show in Las Vegas. The gun had never been assembled until I bought it and they are currently working on it to modify it to shoot in USPSA Open class.

5. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Gotcha! Whatever generation gun you have, you should still be able to switch the upper assemblies of the same caliber and be ok.

6. waynesigmeister

Glock 17L

I went to Glockworx today to look at the gun. Their gunsmith was still working on the gun, they had finished applying the silica on the grips and were waiting for it to dry. The gun looks very competitive. The KKM barrel had five port holes on top of the barrel to vent out gas. The ports were of decreasing size from inside the barrel to the outside of the barrel. The slide racker and Leopold optics had been installed. Ray Wong, manager of Glockworx asked if he could take the gun out this Sunday and use it in a steel match to make sure everything is working fine (I am going to Las Vegas this weekend) so I said sure. Ray is going to use various loads and will tell me which one works best in my load and he will give the load information so I can reload my own ammo. This is what I would call the special service that you receive when you buy a custom gun.:)