Glock 17 gen ??

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by JRiddle, Jun 20, 2012.

1. JRiddle

JRiddle New Member

Ok so a friend of mine wants to sell me his Glock 17 the serial number starts with FP### I looked on the Internet and it says April 1989 generation one but the frame looks like a generation two I'm confused and all the serial numbers match would this be considered a generation 1.5 ?????

2. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

Can you post a pic. The frame will show which model it is by the trigger guard and grip.

3. JRiddle

JRiddle New Member

I don't have the gun here with me but it definitely is a gen 2 frame what's throwing me off is the serial number says generation one

4. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Is it the original frame? Does the frame and slide serial match? I know there were some in between models in generations. So its possible.

5. JRiddle

JRiddle New Member

All numbers match he bought it new and 1989

6. JRiddle

JRiddle New Member

Sorry and it's all original

7. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Member

My dad has a gen 1 g17 that had a recall. He sent it to flock and when he got it back they put a gen2 lower on it.

8. antek

antek New Member

You ever find out what it was?

9. JRiddle

JRiddle New Member

Glock serial number still says first-generation all original was bought new in August 1989 gun was made april of 89 all the numbers match but it's definitely a gen 2 frame I'm guessing it's a leftover Gen one slide put on a gen 2 frame

10. stak

stak New Member

I would recommend calling GLOCK, US at 770.432.1202. Provide them the serial number and they can give you all the information about import date, test fire date, and any recall work that was performed against it.

11. JRiddle

JRiddle New Member

Thanks as soon as we do the transfer and the gun is in my name I will give them a call

12. JRiddle

JRiddle New Member

Well I picked up the 17 called glock they said based on the serial number it is a gen 1 and has never bin in for work

Attached Files:

13. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Member

Looks like a nice gun. Shot it and enjoy.

14. JRiddle

JRiddle New Member

Thanks I shot it today but I really like my 26 better

15. stak

stak New Member

The front part of the grip under the trigger guard is textured and according to the Armorers manual Gen2 started with FG. I would call this Gen2. It is interesting GLOCK is calling it a Gen1. I think I can also make out the metal serial number plate in the frame, correct?

16. JRiddle

JRiddle New Member

You're 100% right that's what threw me off I might try calling back in a day or two to see if I get a different answer do you know if the gen 2 came with the captured guide rod?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  17. stak

stak New Member

From what I can gather that's when they made the switch was with the Gen2. So there's something else you could go by. I'm assuming yours is?

18. JRiddle

JRiddle New Member

Mine is the two piece guide rod